Less competitive PGY1 am care focused residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

john888

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I see that there's currently a post regarding the more competitive residencies, which essentially says that they are generally those at large academic centers in "nice" areas.

My question is if anybody knows of any ambulatory care-focused PGY1 sites that are less competitive. I imagine that they would, in part, be the opposite of the point given above (more rural areas, perhaps).

I am aware that the VA is coveted for these types of residencies, and I know that VA sites are quite competitive. Does anyone know which sites tend to be more or less competitive? I have heard IHS is also good for am care, and due to the rural nature I imagine may be less competitive (though I know some don't like the program/setting). I am, of course, not interested only in VA or IHS, and would likely send a good number of applications (maybe even the majority?) to other types of sites, based on feedback from you all and further research that I have to do.

I am not trying to sell myself short and not apply to programs that I don't think I can get in to, but I do realize that there are many candidates out there stronger than myself, and I would like to use sense when deciding where to apply.

Any general info would be greatly appreciated, as would specific programs.

As an aside, is it true that am care-focused PGY1 programs are generally tougher to get into than less specialized PGY1s? Perhaps because there are fewer sites that offer these programs? I'm wondering if it would be worth it to apply to more general PGY1s as more of a safety (in which case I would likely have to have my references write separate letters, and change my letters of intent to those programs drastically). I am interested in am care, but a residency of any sort would open up my options greatly so maybe this would be worth it.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would appreciate it if you could PM me as well! Thanks!

I would like PM as well, thank you!

If you want a PM, don't post here, just sent me a PM and I'll send you one back.

Nevermind, don't PM me anymore. I likely won't respond.

Point I tried to make to people: if it's am care and less competitive, must be for a reason. Aim for a program that is a mix of inpatient and am care, because there are very few am care jobs out there that take people out of PGY1.

I applied to mostly mixed inpatient + outpatient programs (in my area, quite a few programs are inpatient only). I feel like if I know for sure I want to do amcare, residency will help me figure out if it may be a possible PGY2 speciality to consider.
However, I feel the same way you do. I don't actually want to apply to overly competitive programs, although I know all residency programs are competitive in nature, I have dropped many big name hospitals from my list as I know there will certainly be far more qualified people with experiences I was unfortunately unable to have during my past six years. I am looking for smaller, not very known hospitals, some that have atleast, even if small, outpatient component-I'm even considering programs that are new and have just started.