Less Content Review & More Practice Passages?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rop

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whenever I read a chapter and do the passages at the end it just doesn't feel representative of the mcat due to high content recall yield. Isn't the MCAT more about critical thinking? Why should I was all of this time reading a Biology content review book when all of the info will be given to me in an experimental passage on the real deal? Wouldn't it make more sense for me to complete and review all 800 TPR Hyperlearning Science WB Passages & 15 FL's that I have on hand. I feel as though this would cause me to score higher than reading a bunch on content review books. Your Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

The answer to this question will depend on what you are currently scoring. Have you taken any practice tests? If you are scoring below 25 content review will benefit you tremendously. If you are scoring 30 or above, then content review is probably a waste of time. In between (where most people are), you need to do a good mix.

I made the mistake of doing content review for my first half of studying. It was okay, but my practice scores still suffered. I switched to literally doing only passages (then reviewing whatever content was in the passage if I got it wrong) and seem to be doing better. I really think the passages are more helpful b/c it makes you actually apply the information rather than passively reading it and answer questions at the end of the content material while using a narrow scope of knowledge b/c you just reviewed those topics. In contrast, passages force you to pull from your entire knowledge base and integrate the material in a manner that will answer the specific question. Good luck!

Okay this is a problem a lot of people encounter so don't feel discouraged. First, the passage will NOT contain all the info you need. Second, the passage is useless if you don't already have a solid understanding of the concept explained. Third, practice is indeed important BUT no amount of exercises can cover every single topic in the infinite possible ways that it can be tested.
That's why content is really really REALLY important. If you feel like you're just reading, then you're doing it wrong. You should not be passive, you should aim at understanding what's going on and understand why it's happening. You don't have to stick to your books only, you can find plenty of things online including videos that could help you understand a lot of concepts.
I know it can get frustrating with the big amount of info you need to know, but it's really worth it to understand the different concepts, and there's actually a lot of interesting stuff that are missed in class.
Then, you can proceed to practicing using different exercise books, FLs, etc.... But don't sacrifice your content review for pure passage taking.

I agree with neuromaster. Passages are very important and helpful, but content review is just as important. Information is given to you in passages, but you need a good pool of content to draw from if you are to use the info given to you efficiently. Also, you can find your glaring weaknesses from passages and then use content review to patch any major issues.

Posted using SDN Mobile