Less respect with DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wingy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you think there is discrimination against physicians with DO degrees as opposed to an MD degree? Do DO get paid less than MD?

Members don't see this ad.

This has been discussed at all ends in the international, Pre-DO and DO forum, take ur pick!

to answer ur question, i dont know if DOs get paid more than MDs but they are more knowledgable in some areas such as OMM and some other things.

DOs have been known to match into competitive residencies so whether there is discrimination or not, its up to u to work hard and deal with it.

:)

As I understand it DO grads are eligible for all the same residencies that allopaths are, so they can make the same as MDs. However, at least what gets propagated around here is that its a little harder, while not impossible, for DOs to get into competitive specialties than MDs and research isn't particularly strong at DO schools. I think its a great route for those having problems getting into allopathic schools or those who like the DO philosophy. Yah might be explaining what those letters after your name are to people, but you'll still be a doctor :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Similar opportunities, same pay. In the eyes of the law, MDs and DOs are IDENTICAL.

This issue is of concern to obsessive, overachieving pre-meds who should shadow a DO to see that DOs do EXACTLY the same things that MDs do -- DOs are actually trained in another treatment modality, OMM.

Newsflash: In 2001, exactly 0.8% of all graduating DOs pursued OMM as a specialization. The rest are lurking in either allopathic or osteopathic residencies -- be on the look out! :eek:

With respect to Edgar Allan Poe

The osteopath

Once upon a midnight dreary
As I pondered weak and weary
About my future and the directions I myself should go
As I wonder what lies ahead
I decided to be premed
And took the courses in bio, physics, and orgo
So I broke the 40 MCAT threshold

Options I desired
but it was MDs that I aspired
but what's this osteopathic medicine I've never heard about before
Premed advisors I did ask
this advice they did pass
"DO is being a doctor through the backdoor
Why would you consider that with your score?"

Fellow premeds they did chide me
they held DO with bitter acrimony
"DOs are for idiots, losers, and nothing more"
This feeling I took to heart
osteopathy must be voodo art
I dropped this matter, this I will ignore
but then my soul began to soar

Medicine unit volunteer I did
amazed like a lone lost kid
I saw attendings and residents running around on the floor
This attending, he had fame
yet he had DO after his name
He told me "That's not something patients really look for
In reality, DOs aren't discriminated anymore"

"Education is nearly the same
Does it matter what's after your name?
MDs and DOs are here, and there, and everywhere galore
Although this I must concede
Most go into internal or peds
But that's the type of people DO schools look for
Trust me, I know the score"

"Both are paid exactly the same
Since we are both in the same game
I still don't know why people are willing to go offshore
DO Respectibility is my conclusion
and DO discrimination an illusion
PDs only look at recommendations and your board scores"
Quote the attending, "only this and nothing more"

as mentioned before, it will be a tad more difficult to match into the competitive specialties.....derm, ortho, optho, ENT, urology.....but not impossible.....also, there will always be a few people out there who will look down on you cause you are a DO, but the vast majority will not give 2 sh**s about it.......

dont forget, for the competivtive residencies you MIGHT have to take the USMLE.......the COMLEX will allow you to pass for the DO School, but some residencies want you to take the USMLE, so you are on a level playign field with the MDs....since most poeple dont' understand teh scoring of the COMLEX.......

nero

The answer to your question is yes, you will get less respect from many people because they do not understand the degreee. The real question is-how much do you need that respect?