Less Than A Month Left!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:scared: What am i ever going to do? This is totally freaking me out. i fear i will never be ready. is it still possible? :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Psycho Doctor said:
:scared: What am i ever going to do? This is totally freaking me out. i fear i will never be ready. is it still possible? :scared:

Probably not. If you're only getting two hours a night and questioning whether it's possible, it probably isn't.

Relax and possibilities might open up.

That remind me of that old movie Airplane!
They are in the sky about to try and crash land the plane and Ted Stryker says:
"She's starting to shake... She's starting to shimmy!
and finally
"She's cracking up..."

Members don't see this ad :)
Psycho, you make a lot of posts stating a very general problem and asking for advice. It seems to me that often you just want reassurance, but people can't constructvely help you if all they know is that you're scared of the MCAT. What exactly are you afraid of? How is your review going?

what am i afraid of? failure, i suppose.. :(

how's the review going? i dunno, i suppose i'm improving but not as quickly as i'd like :scared:

and about reassurance..yea surely i'd love someone to tell me not to worry and in the end everything will turn out fantastic...but i'd like you to be able to do it and actually mean it too... :rolleyes:

and sorry, i know when i get freaked out, which btw is not that often, i tend to not be able to function and i put my energy in message boards... yea, i know, not a good thing :(

Psyco-

I took the MCAT last year in april and I had a nervous breakdown right after my first Kaplan test, this ended up eating my time with anxiety problems and lack of concetration in the third test I got a 27 and then a 28, I ended up getting a 28 in the real thing, and know that I would have scored a lot better if I would have just focused on studying.

Just make up your mind today and go with it... if you feel discouraged, talk to yourself. Realize that as a doctor you will be faced with challenges that far supersede the MCAT. Do not let fear of failure lead to regret....

Go for it, I did got a 28 and still did not get into medical school this year....

If you really want to be a doctor it does not matter how long it takes you will get there.

As for me, my studying is going great and my confidence is as high as ever.

I will tell you how my MCAT score changes in october.

In summary.... no matter what anybody says you will need to take the MCAT, make up your mind today and go with it... I think a month is more that enough unless your basic science knowledge is very weak

good luck

One of my greatest strengths is the fact that stress mellows me out for some reason. I'll walk into the MCAT giggling at anything and munching on cheetos.

you didn't get into any med school with a 28?? what were your other stats and where did you appy? wow!!

yea unless your orgo summer course final is 4 days before the MCAT and you have a bunch of other crap to deal with also.

if it was only the MCAT, i'd be fine

Psycho Doctor said:
yea unless your orgo summer course final is 4 days before the MCAT and you have a bunch of other crap to deal with also.

Well, just get through this. Once you get into med school you only have to do one thing at a time for the rest of your life. :) [/sarcasm]

MoosePilot said:
Well, just get through this. Once you get into med school you only have to do one thing at a time for the rest of your life. :) [/sarcasm]

The hardest part is getting in....everything after that is BS. The average graduation/pass rate for medical schools is on the order of 97%.

Members don't see this ad :)
Assembler said:
The hardest part is getting in....everything after that is BS. The average graduation/pass rate for medical schools is on the order of 97%.

I definitely agree, although the pass rate is based on the pre-selected sample of people who were able to get in. Maybe that hurdle is just so high that once you jump it, everything else is doable.

However, time becomes more valuable the further you go. Time is more scarce in med school, from everything I hear. So if he's freaked out by doing Orgo and MCAT studying at the same time, he should consider his future.

MoosePilot said:
I definitely agree, although the pass rate is based on the pre-selected sample of people who were able to get in. Maybe that hurdle is just so high that once you jump it, everything else is doable.

However, time becomes more valuable the further you go. Time is more scarce in med school, from everything I hear. So if he's freaked out by doing Orgo and MCAT studying at the same time, he should consider his future.

I have to disagree. Taking organic chem summer classes while studying MCAT at the same time is very difficult no matter how you look at it. Orgo in the summer is two semesters of already difficult material crammed into two months. I took orgo classes last summer and it seemed my entire existence revolved around the classes. In my experience at least, there was little time to do anything else substantial, let alone studying for MCAT.

The only good side to taking orgo & the MCAT at the same time is that by the time he finishes the course, he will kick ass on ALL the orgo passages (though there aren't that many). It could help to reinforce a lot of general concepts though.

Other than that, I do agree....taking another course while studying for the MCAT is a bit difficult; even moreso with a crazy subject like orgo. I literally recall having to remember at least 1000+ reactions (and all those ugly electron-pushing mechanisms).

I was counting on the orgo helping me on the MCAT. So that is the positive aspect of it. :)

I also am doing close to 40 hours of volunteer work and have to get my apps done but yea..it's a breeze, right? :scared:

silkworm said:
I have to disagree. Taking organic chem summer classes while studying MCAT at the same time is very difficult no matter how you look at it. Orgo in the summer is two semesters of already difficult material crammed into two months. I took orgo classes last summer and it seemed my entire existence revolved around the classes. In my experience at least, there was little time to do anything else substantial, let alone studying for MCAT.

2 semesters? My orgo class was two semesters, but I wouldn't have dreamed of taking them both the same summer. If I'd decided to do something like that, I don't think the school would have let me. Is that what you were saying?

Hey Psycho Doctor

I think your mind is set already, personally I do not think you should take it in august, relax and you will after you decide not to take it in August and then study for the April exam.

I did not get in because of the schools I applied to or so I rationalize. There is a thread out there with my stats.

BTW, are you volunteering 40 hours/week..... if so I will make the decision for you, DO NOT TAKE IT

i am taking 2 semesters of orgo and 2 semesters of lab..yea, they let me take it. :(

hahaha :laugh:

in which way did you think my mind was already made up? i for one have no clue! i am more confused than ever... :scared:

I don't really know your situation so I could be way off base here, but I think you've taken on an awful lot this summer. I also think that you shouldn't take the mcat unless you feel like you're really ready. Another thing that I think, and really believe, is that in the broad scheme of the things one year doesn't matter. If it is a question of taking the mcat next month and applying this cycle and taking it in April and applying next cycle, I don't think in the broad scheme of things that will matter. If you're 27 or 28 when you graduate medical school, or whatever age you'll be...but then again, maybe it does. It's hard to be doing as much as you're doing. If you're dead set on taking it in August the only thing I would advise is to cut whatever you can, if you can cut anything (like some of the volunteer hours...most volunteer directors are decently understanding) so you can spend the next 4 weeks being a bit more chill. Also I'd say that if you want to go for it in August, go for it, but realize that no matter what your score is nothing is ruined because there is always April and in the long run, does it really matter?

MoosePilot said:
2 semesters? My orgo class was two semesters, but I wouldn't have dreamed of taking them both the same summer. If I'd decided to do something like that, I don't think the school would have let me. Is that what you were saying?

I think the 2 semesters squeezed into 2 months is pretty standard for all schools. At my school that was the only option available if you want to take it in the summer. Basically, you have a midterm or final every week for that 2 months.

Psycho Doc: I can't believe you are volunteering 40 hours a week while doing everything else. That's nearly 6 hours a day while the bulk of your weekdays is spent in the lecture and labs. If you are doing it, then you definintely have bitten off more than you can chew.

So if i don't do as well as i'd like to in August and retake it in April and do much better will the August test really hurt me in admissions?

I could probably cut soem of the volunteering..i gues si hate to ever admit i can't do something i set out to do...

silkworm said:
I think the 2 semesters squeezed into 2 months is pretty standard for all schools. At my school that was the only option available if you want to take it in the summer. Basically, you have a midterm or final every week for that 2 months.

Really? So a lot of schools allow you to combine Organic Chem I and II into one big summer session worth something like 6 hours? I'm assuming the lab is still separate or is that rolled in there too?

If you're doing that, I don't think you're whining. I think you've poor judgement, but I don't think it's whining anymore.

Psycho Doctor said:
So if i don't do as well as i'd like to in August and retake it in April and do much better will the August test really hurt me in admissions?

I could probably cut soem of the volunteering..i gues si hate to ever admit i can't do something i set out to do...

I don't think it would "really" hurt you. Depends on how your schools look at the MCAT. Some schools take most recent, some take highest, some even take the highest subsets from your past tests. They're all on the app, though.

MoosePilot said:
Really? So a lot of schools allow you to combine Organic Chem I and II into one big summer session worth something like 6 hours? I'm assuming the lab is still separate or is that rolled in there too?

Yep, the lab is in there too, 3 times a week. It was as tough as hell, and by the last final, I actually developed a ulcer. But it was good experience in that it forces you to concentrate, and there are no distractions since you can't afford to have any. I don't think I could have learned orgo as well if I took the classes during fall and spring.

silkworm said:
Yep, the lab is in there too, 3 times a week. It was as tough as hell, and by the last final, I actually developed a ulcer. But it was good experience in that it forces you to concentrate, and there are no distractions since you can't afford to have any. I don't think I could have learned orgo as well if I took the classes during fall and spring.

Wow! I couldn't imagine doing this. I wouldn't have thought it actually possible. Organic chem was my nemesis and I don't think there would be enough time in the summer for all that. I had two full semesters where Orgo was the majority of my actual workload. Yuck!

I feel bad for you now, Psycho. This is amazing. You might consider postponing the MCAT. Life really will be better and your score might too.

Psychodoc,
My immediate advice is to cut back on all non-essential activities. This means cutting down on volunteering. (My supervisor was very understanding when I wanted to do this).

How do you handle stress normally? I mean, do you stress out easily? Forgive me, (please don't be offended) you seem a little high strung. My long term advice is to find constructive ways to cope with stress. Some people have to have the chaos, adrenaline rush, etc. to get motivated. Some people bite off more than they can chew and end up discouraged. Be truthful with yourself about what you can and cannot handle.

Incidentally, I took the April MCAT w/ 12 hrs., a TPR class 4 nights a week, 10 hours a week of volunteering in the lab, girl scout meetings and outings, and... oh yeah, three kids. The key was, stress handling and relief, setting realistic expectations and goals, and making decisions day by day what my priorities were for that day. Time management is crucial, too. That I learned from being a parent. :D

Yeah, my schedule wasn't clear either. Active duty with a war on and election year ramping up keeps a cargo pilot somewhat busy. It wasn't organic, though, thank goodness.

UNTLabrat gives good advice :thumbup:

wow, you two are amazing..i can't imagine those schedules! awesome how you were able to do it with all that going on....just a war and kids??? ;)

and i generally handle stress very well. I never used to be high strung until college..in fact i probably was too laid back for my own good. It's just there was a lot of issues going on in my life all at once that caused me to fall behind now...so it's more than just the MCAT stressing me now. :(

Well I hope your problems work out soon. Good luck balancing your schedule!

Psycho Doctor said:

same here but my final is may 11th...ochem part 2
oh yeah life sucks ....

Psycho Doctor said:
wow, you two are amazing..i can't imagine those schedules! awesome how you were able to do it with all that going on....just a war and kids??? ;)..... It's just there was a lot of issues going on in my life all at once that caused me to fall behind now...so it's more than just the MCAT stressing me now. :(
Psycho, I totally sympathize with you, although I don't know the exact details. I'm going through something right now, and sometimes I wonder how I even manage to get out of bed everyday... :( I had to force myself to realize that(for me, anyway) the problems are temporary, and if I let them keep me from applying this year, I'll regret it next year, when all you guys are starting med school and I'll be posting sob stories on SDN :p I guess I can't offer any specifi advice, except what I already posted earlier, but some things to consider:

If you take the Aug. MCAT, do you think you'll have enough time, focus, etc. to do well?

Are there any reasons why you couldn't go through next year's cycle while keeping a lighter schedule and REALLY prepare for, and take, the April MCAT? For instance, my last two semesters will only be 13 hours each (still rough with my schedule, but at least it's not o-chem :D )

I think it would be better for you to take the MCAT once and do well on it than to try to keep to some time table that may stress you out. It doesn't get any easier once we're in, you know. :cool: Good luck. I hope everything works out for you. :luck:

I'm im a similar vote...I just finished my first session of orgo lecture and lab, and am going into my 3rd week of 2nd orgo with lab that ends in the middle of august and I have to take the DAT's 2 weeks after, but school starts about a week before the DAT's so I really only have 1 whole week before the DAT's in order to cram anything and everything I can...

Hey Psycho- I was in your place exactly a few years ago. I had a lot on my plate- working, volunteering as an EMT, taking physics over the summer and trying to study for the mcat

thankfully (although it sucked really bad), i had emergency surgery like the week before the mcat and had to miss it. the stress had totally screwed me up and i was NOT healthy. now i have decided to take a year off and can study with nothing else on my plate. best thing ever.

reconsider what you're doing- the mcat is like a full time job, so treat it that way. you owe it to yourself.

huh? have i lost my mind or did may 11th already pass? why are you saying this as if you haven't taken your final yet? :confused:

I'm sure it's me and I really *did* lose my mind :eek:

yikes?! emergency surgery?? I can't imagine anything worse! :( what happened?

actually i was in a bad car accident March 23rd and was in really bad shape...couldn't return to school) for 5 weeks...there went the April MCAT. Making up all the time lost at school was a nightmare especially when i still wasn't feeling right at all...and so it goes on.

Psychodoctor, do you know how to use the quote feature? If you use it and trim whatever you don't need out of the quote to keep it short, it will be easier to follow who you're replying to. Thanks!

MoosePilot said:
Psychodoctor, do you know how to use the quote feature? If you use it and trim whatever you don't need out of the quote to keep it short, it will be easier to follow who you're replying to. Thanks!

I like it. Following this conversation is helping me work on my verbal reasoning by making me really focus. :D

no, i don't know how to use the quote feature...the last time i tried to use it, i lost my entire message :( never again until someone tells me how

and it's funny you should mention that..i kept wondering why people don't reply to the person they are actually responding to...that's the way it works on all other boards and people yell at you if you don't "hit the reply button" for the right person ;)

Psycho Doctor said:
no, i don't know how to use the quote feature...the last time i tried to use it, i lost my entire message :( never again until someone tells me how.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'm laughing with you, not at you. I'm about as technologically savvy as an abacus.

When you want to respond to a poster, click on the quote box in the bottom right corner. You'll be redirected to the reply page with the post you are responding to already in the text box. Get rid of stuff you don't need, making sure the beginning of the person's quote starts with: the word QUOTE=screen name in brackets and ends with: /QUOTE in brackets. Click on "submit message."

Alternatively, you can click on the little quick reply icon next to the quote icon (in the botom right corner) and click the box that says "quote message in reply."

And those are my words of wisdom for the day (slow day on the mountaintop :D )

Geez, I'm excited for the August MCAT, because I'm feeling upbeat about how I'll do and how nice it'll be to have it behind me.

Geez, I'm excited for the August MCAT, because I'm feeling upbeat about how I'll do and how nice it'll be to have it behind me.

that's a great attitude, listen to this kid. :) hopefully i'll feel pretty upbeat tommorrow myself; taking 5R

there is a girl in my med class that didnt study at all for the mcat
just took it - and did well
wow!
it kinda stinks going to school with a bunch of geniuses - which i am not

medicalstudent9 said:
there is a girl in my med class that didnt study at all for the mcat
just took it - and did well
wow!
it kinda stinks going to school with a bunch of geniuses - which i am not

How well? I took it the first time with no prep and got a 31. I didn't know prep was common. I wasn't real tied into the whole pre-med network when I was a ugrad.