LET all become a nurse

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

popoman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
so...medicine people you like helping others huh... so become a nurse...it pretty much the same thing...o yea...but then doctor make more money right and also have better reputation???/

hahaha... bad bad liars..except for few who admitt that they are going into medicine for money and prestige

The confused freshman... =P

Members don't see this ad.

I see that your diction, vocabulary and writing style have not changed since you last took up your VIRTUAL CRAYON to scrawl a posting.

Consistency CAN be a good thing. Or not.

The reason that people choose to become doctors is because they accept the challenge of that role and the place it holds on the health care TEAM. Nurses take up their role because they accept DIFFERENT challenges that compliment those of the other members.
Nurses and doctors and all support staff work together with one goal in mind: The well-being of the patient who puts trust in them.

I don't deny that doctors get paid more. Many years of training and learning and the great responsibilities that they assume, MERIT financial renumeration.

However, anyone who has ANY clue to the situation will see that there are far less challenging and involved ways to earn money.
(As I told you earlier..............)
Especially for people like you whose primary concerns seem to be centered around a fat paycheck.

When you decide to grow up and find a purpose and direction in life, I hope you realise that there is much more meaning to your existence as a human being than making money and enjoying the results of the effort, that giving something back is a reward beyond price.

As for reputation, it is what you make of it.
Calling people liars and bums (I refer to your previous spew)will not earn you much of a reputation here or anywhere.

Good luck on your SAT's

See popoman read
See popoman think
See popoman reach for more, hopefully.

QUOTE]Originally posted by popoman:
so...medicine people you like helping others huh... so become a nurse...it pretty much the same thing...o yea...but then doctor make more money right and also have better reputation???/

hahaha... bad bad liars..except for few who admitt that they are going into medicine for money and prestige

The confused freshman... =P
[/QUOTE]

Reactions: 1 user
"Consistency is the refuge of fools"
-Mohandas Ghandi

Members don't see this ad :)
"Foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'm not sure what your goal is in your harsh criticism of another person's use of the english language, but I have an idea. While you're working on becoming a good, compassionate doctor, consider dropping the entire condescending bit, because not only is it rude, it reflects very poorly on a person who hopes to be in charge of a team whose goal is curing people.
As the doctor, you will probably be more educated than the nurses and staff on the team. Will this lead you to treat them in the same manner that you treated the original post-er, i.e., arrogant, rude, and snobbish? If it is, then I wish you luck in finding people stupid enough to work with you and to give you that extra ounce of respect that you obviously assume you are entitled to. Sure, maybe the original post was a little off base, but I don't think someone with your aspirations should respond in such a manner.

Dear jlinn01,

I welcome your comments. After all, no one is an island. We all have a voice.

My GOAL was to respond honestly to another person's communication. I stand by my comments and I make no aplogies for my words.
We are all responsible for our actions.
Condescension is the realm of fools.

May I ask how familiar you are with your facts? Are you familiar with the abusive and sophomoric (sic) nature of [popoman's] postings? Are you aware that he has used the terms "drunk" and "loser" in his comments to other people's postings? Have you read the negative postings that other members have submitted--some of whom use NO uncertain harsh terms. Have THOSE individuals benefitted from your ideas? If not, I am proud that you have chosen me for your response. My posting obviously meant something to you.

I am willingly excercising my right to respond in the face of abuse of privilege (and free speech is privilege). It may not be my place to set popoman straight, but by the tone and content of your response, it looks like we're in the same boat.

Tell me, what problem do you you have with being assertive and straightforward in the face of blatant crassness--or would you rather sit comfortably numb in your cocoon of institutionalized apathy which has become the hallmark of political corectness? Part of the skill of working with others is not to back down from a bully and to state your opinions straighforwardly--there is a lot to be said for the direct approach.

Does your conception of me have any basis in fact, in the knowledge of my nature, my ability to work with people, to show compassion for the sick and the dying? Were you there by my side at the hospital yesterday, when I listened to a patient and held her hands while she talked about her fears about her new cancer diagnosis?

You know nothing of the way I intereract with the hospital team of nurses, techs and physicians with whom I work on a daily basis and yet you presume to offer me advice in relating to others. You also assume that compassion is something that you can work on, rather than a common quality which is innate in the make-up of MOST human beings. You cannot study compassion. If it's not genuine, you are better off on the set of "ER" than with real patients.

You seem more involved with "leadership" issues that have a secondary relevance to the goal of good patient care. Such hierarchichal thinking is the reason that so many doctors are viewed as arrogant and unapproachable. Will you continue a bad precedent?

I have been very fortunate to have the honor to work with professionals who understand the way that a team, like a family, works (it is not always sunshine and roses), and--I wish the same for you someday since you couch your comments in very,very hypothetical terms. You do not seem to know of what you speak. You offer no personal experiences of your own to support your assertions on the workaday relationships with your colleages. Working on a team can be trying but it is always rewarding.

EVERYONE is entitled to respect, as long as it is earned. I expect no more and no less than I give to others.

As long as you--in VERY thinly veiled arrogance ("rude, snobbish")--are offering advice on behavior, may I offer you these points that very, very wise people have passed on to me:

1. Always listen and get your facts straight before you respond to someone else.

2. If you want to set an example, be an example. "..finding people stupid enough to work with you..(and I quote)" is not conducive to civil exchange. In fact, based on your standpoint, it is DOWNRIGHT hypocritical, and to use your word: CONDESCENING.

3. Do not jump to conclusions: The harshness of your invective says more about your willingness to take isolated incidents and to
draw broad, general conclusions from them. Conclusions which are fueled more by an emotional component than an empirical one.
This is hardly the way a physician/scientist
should conduct his/her affairs. Your patients will NEVER benefit from your being a loose cannon.

The medical world is full of harsh realities, among them people and personalities which can be abrasive and even difficult at times. Maybe you have been hurt before, maybe you have found yourself in a position where you were at a loss for words as to how to respond. Perhaps you should spend more time developing tolerance and a thicker skin rather than cultivating this saccharine, rose-colored fantasy world that you hope to inhabit.

So the next time you feel the urge to micromanage, keep in mind that someone will be listening to what you have to say and will have their own opinions and experiences to share. I welcome your response.

I work with Nurses all day. Nurses tend to wipe a lot of asses, I don't want to wipe ass all day. (or at all) I think it is a really important job, I would rather do the doctor stuff. You can help in a lot of different ways.

The original posters verbage was heinous. It sounded like a badly dubbed movie, and deserved a little mocking, as it would get it in person.

Good Day,

Bryan

Reed,

That attitude will not make you a lot of friends or get you very far once you are in medical school doing rotations and afterwards. It is a BIT too condescending.

There was a thread on mem a while back about what med school students call themselves, msi, MSI, etc. Somebody said they were lucky if they weren't called a p.o.s.

Drop the 'tude dude.

I thought the winking smiley guy at the top of my last post indicated that I wasn't serious. I was kidding, and I think the original poster wasn't serious either.

Sorry to offend you bobo.

uh.............
what is this???
who cares about condescending~!!!!!!!!!!!
okie okie
it is obvious you guys cant admitt that you guys are going into medicine for the money and prestige..

Vergil- you are pretty funny for a kid...
bobo- hi bobo, im popo
Reed- you seem to be like the only one who admitts that you are becoming a doctor instead of a nurse because you dont want to kiss a##... good for you

o... just to make it clear i am planning to go to medical school after all...
but for money and prestige~

see you guys in med school...puhahahahahah

The confused freshman....=P

I tend to doubt we'll be seeing you there; with your attitude, you'll weed yourself out long before then.

I don't mean to talk down to anyone in particular, but really, I cannot imagine why anyone would go into medicine for money & prestige. I am currently contemplating taking out loans on the order of $150,000, which will amount to $300,000 when I pay them back. Yes, I can anticipate a starting salary in six figures...but then again, my boyfriend works at an internet startup, and is making almost that much right now -- with no loans, no 7 years of education, etc...And prestige? Maybe, but do you have any idea how much time doctors spend haggling with insurance companies and pharmacies and lawyers and....I have two words for you, if money and prestige are really what you're after: BUSINESS SCHOOL. Seriously, save yourself the hassle.

After reading, EMB's message I'm getting afraid of having a six digits payback loans. What if I'm graduate from off shore med school and can't have residency in U.S? How could I payback that huge loan? I'm sure I will not make that kind of money even if I have a job at U.K. ... ??? ... Any ideas?

Also, I'm sure I want to be one good Doc, because I feel like it's like my hobby. It's come from my blood, I guess. So, I'm sure money is like 10th reason. That mean, I really have some thoughts about going back to my country, which is Burma, and work as people's doctor, like both of my parents did. So, NO MORE QUESTION ABOUT MONEY.

Originally posted by Vergil:
Dear jlinn01,

I welcome your comments. After all, no one is an island. We all have a voice.

VERGIL-
You are my hero. That was a great post. I hope I acquire your skill of straightforward, mature and lucid reparte' before I finish my education. (I should be so lucky).

Vergil - definitely a hero in my book as well. "Virtual Crayon" made me laugh til I fell out of my chair.

EmB - I echo your comments. I go to Penn Med, and the money and prestige is across Spruce Street at Wharton (our business school). We refer to Spruce Street as the "Demilitarized Zone" because of the stark opposition of our ideals as future physicians and businessmen.

popo - Find your money somewhere else. However, I feel obliged to say that prestige will elude you no matter what paths your life takes. Infamy, rather, most likely awaits for you.

Philly

------------------
"They do certainly give very strange and newfangled names to diseases."
- Plato