Let me know your honest opinion about my situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Quickfast RP

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently entering my second years of a masters (M.S.) in biology at Point Loma Nazerene University.

Throughout my first year I have taken all upper division undergraduate classes and graduate level biology classes. My GPA here is about a 3.98 at the moment with only one A- and rest A's. My undergraduate GPA (at UC Davis) however was 2.56, thats what I graduated with. But in my last year of undergrad I finished that year with a 3.2 gpa average, followed by my first year here at graduate school with a 3.98. I am thinking of applying this upcoming cycle but I was wondering if I had shown enough progress as I would like to go to dental school when I am done this MS next year. I just took my DAT's and my scores are below as well can you please tell me your opinion on where I stand?

PAT 24
Bio 24
Gchem 21
Ochem 20
QR 28
VR 23
TS 22
AA 23

Undergrad = 2.56
Graduate (in progress but half classes are done) = 3.98

Members don't see this ad.

you will get in for sure ( assuming you have good Ecs)
but, where do you wanna go ?

I am currently entering my second years of a masters (M.S.) in biology at Point Loma Nazerene University.

Throughout my first year I have taken all upper division undergraduate classes and graduate level biology classes. My GPA here is about a 3.98 at the moment with only one A- and rest A's. My undergraduate GPA (at UC Davis) however was 2.56, thats what I graduated with. But in my last year of undergrad I finished that year with a 3.2 gpa average, followed by my first year here at graduate school with a 3.98. I am thinking of applying this upcoming cycle but I was wondering if I had shown enough progress as I would like to go to dental school when I am done this MS next year. I just took my DAT's and my scores are below as well can you please tell me your opinion on where I stand?

PAT 24
Bio 24
Gchem 21
Ochem 20
QR 28
VR 23
TS 22
AA 23

Undergrad = 2.56
Graduate (in progress but half classes are done) = 3.98

You should be fine with that awesome DAT score and your GPA improvement. If you want a real answer, contact the schools that you want to apply to. Just curious...how many units did you take per quarter in your grad program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely apply. I interviewed at Tufts with a guy that had a 2.7 GPA in undergrad and did post-bac to raise his GPA. You'll have a great chance of getting in. Definitely do your fair share of shadowing/volunteering/etc in a dental clinic and you should be fine...

You need to contact ALL the schools your applying to and tell them your GPA is below thier cutoffs. Many schools have a 2.7 or 3.0 undergrad GPA cutoff, meanining thier system might automatically reject you before they even get a chance to see the rest of your application.

After you apply, call each school that gets your application and explain to them your situation. Im sure they'll give you a free pass cause of that monsterous DAT score.

Good luck

I want to apply to UoP, NYU, USC, BU, Temple, Tufts, and Loma Linda.

Also in grad school Im taking about 13-15 units a semester, technically with those units you can finish the masters in 1 year since you only need 30 units, but i have been taking 4 classes each semester on top of my thesis and research.

My EC's are 150+ hours of shadowing, in undergrad started my own dance team at my college, was the fundraising chair for a large student organization at my undergrad, and coached Lacrosse High school teams for the past 2 years.

Thanks in advance!

You should apply. Why not the instate public (UCLA, UCSF)?

Because from what I have heard they are harder to get into, thats why im sticking to instate private such as USC, western (i guess), and UoP. I mean i prolly will apply but I am not looking at a realistic chances at those

Because from what I have heard they are harder to get into, thats why im sticking to instate private such as USC, western (i guess), and UoP. I mean i prolly will apply but I am not looking at a realistic chances at those

never underestimate your own state school, especially if you have research experience/publications or something that stands out :thumbup:

does the amount of courses taken in grad school matter?

I am basically in the same boat except with a 3.1 undergrad gpa, but i will have taken 6/12 courses for M.Sc. when i apply and have very little EC and and low amounts of research.

With your present numbers (GPA/DAT) I would bet you would get an interview at the UC's. I know that both institutions like to brag about their research ability (NIH funds and the sort). I feel if you meet a school's "Mission" as a presumptive student and they can justify your GPA/DAT more often then not they will give an interview. The price difference is worth it (esp at USC). Also don't be fooled by UOP they are tough to get into also. Are there any out of states that you could see yourself going to?

Your DAT score is amazing. I am sure you will get in somewhere.

With your present numbers (GPA/DAT) I would bet you would get an interview at the UC's. I know that both institutions like to brag about their research ability (NIH funds and the sort). I feel if you meet a school's "Mission" as a presumptive student and they can justify your GPA/DAT more often then not they will give an interview. The price difference is worth it (esp at USC). Also don't be fooled by UOP they are tough to get into also. Are there any out of states that you could see yourself going to?

I honestly am thinking of applying everywhere possible that is relatively easy to get into with my stats some lower tier schools, and I will definitely will apply out of state, and I will still try some state schools such as the UC's but I mean realistically I'm looking to apply to at least 20 places or so maybe more, never know when luck my strike.

I honestly am thinking of applying everywhere possible that is relatively easy to get into with my stats some lower tier schools, and I will definitely will apply out of state, and I will still try some state schools such as the UC's but I mean realistically I'm looking to apply to at least 20 places or so maybe more, never know when luck my strike.

Curious...why do you think your GPA was so low at UCD but you were able to ace your grad program?

Curious...why do you think your GPA was so low at UCD but you were able to ace your grad program?

Well okay this might sound like your typical answer and what not , BUT it is the system. The UC system is horrible from my experience, I mean at UC Davis the professors are all into their research, couldn't care less about their students and the grade distribution and cut-offs in many science classes are ridiculous. You hear a lot about grade inflation, well UC Davis at least is a big grade DEFLATION school. The average College of biological sciences gpa is 2.67 or so. I mean you cant tell me that most of the people accepted into UC Davis are 2/69 average students. Sure you have your highers and lowers and partying and life events and all of that but still.....so the system is definitely one problem, and also the school is a hard school, the classes are very difficult. Point loma isnt easier per say but the teacher/student ratio and interaction makes learning and understanding information much easier.

Additionally I did work harder and fooled around less yes of course, I matured a bit more and realized that this was kinda the last straw kinda deal.

Also another point I was looking at my undergrad and it was actually a 2.5 that I ended up with so people please tell me if there would be a major difference in your opinions.

Another concern of mine was not being able to tell these universities about my situation, I feel that I cant really cant/shouldn't complain about the UC structure and system because a lot of schools that aren't even UC's might just take me as a guy who's blaming other things and the school system for his mistakes. Its not really like that but its hard to really express how I feel I got screwed over to a degree without fully blaming the "system"

Are both your science and cumulative GPA's ~2.5? You're definitely going to have to think of a new excuse for the poor performance, but that shouldn't be too difficult. Provided you're good at selling yourself and as long as you focus on your master's GPA and DAT scores I think you have a descent shot of getting in at least one school :thumbup:

Are both your science and cumulative GPA's ~2.5? You're definitely going to have to think of a new excuse for the poor performance, but that shouldn't be too difficult. Provided you're good at selling yourself and as long as you focus on your master's GPA and DAT scores I think you have a descent shot of getting in at least one school :thumbup:

Yea I agree, I mean realistically there is nothing to make an excuse, I was just kinda burnt out during college for a while, on top of that I was immature partied alot etc. and yea there were a few things that emotionally conflicted with academia during undergrad. But I mean I think my strongest point is that I changed and matured and showed my seriousness about my future and coming out of undergrad and finishing masters I think i show substantial maturity and personal growth. The past is the past I can really excuse that, and nor should I. Additionally I wouldn't redo it and take back my mistakes because it allowed me to be who I am today, a mature and mentally stable person that knows where, when and how they want to get to a certain place. I think dental schools would appreciate that to an extent since they know I wont be a student that will have these revelations in dental school and cause problems for them. Also with my masters I believe I have shown that I am past party/immature phase in life and now I am serious about my future and really ready to crack down and work hard to prove my undergrad record as the past and let them judge for what and who I am now. I just kinda have a good feeling going into it. Agreed more people have better grades, scores etc but dentistry is about maturity and knowing what you want to do with your life, and exploring other options and still reaching to dentistry as a final destination. At the very least I think it would put me above the 22 year old senior college students that are applying more, I have discovered and still wanted to do dental. Also having a publication (fingers crossed) shows more seriousness and dedication than any 3.8 undergrad can really show, and to an extent people are suckers for a good story, not saying i purposely set myself up for it, but I do have quite a rollercoaster experience/story with a decent solid ending that some dental schools will appreciate. If not then I guess I reapply after my second year is over to show them 2 years of 3.8+ in masters. If that doesn't get me in and they still focus on my undergrad regardless of my two year masters scores then I am truely F*****.