Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Let me tell you about myself

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by BT1411, Apr 26, 2007.

1. BT1411

First off, I am a 21 year old male with a semi lazy background. I will be graduating in May from a local community college with a Associates in Engineering Technology in Electronics. I hate it. I did it because I thought it would be interesting to me but realized about half way through, its not. I have a cumulative GPA of 2.98. I have As in General Chemistry 1 and 2, an A in calculus based physics. My low GPA is mainly due to lack of interest in subject area. I was not an ambitous person when I started college but things have changed and I have much higher expectations from myself. I have a strong interest in the field of sciences and find myself studying science subjects instead of the stuff I will be graded on in school. I want to be a doctor. I would like to start on my other Pre Med courses. Should I take them at my community college or the local university? When I do transfer to university, I will get my bachelors in either Chemistry or Biomedical engineering. I am going to take my transferable humanities, histories, and math at community college. Should I hold off on Organic, Biology, and Anatomy until I am at the University?
    I also have about 4 W's on my transcript. I did drink alot when I first started but have settled down and have improved vastly. A year ago at this time, my GPA was about 2.4. I am currently employed as a landscaper and have started searching for a job that will fill my interests more appropriately.

Any suggestions for me? Sorry this is so choppy but as I am typing, I keep thinking of things I need to say.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. scgroat

scgroat New Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Well, it's definitely better to go to a unversity though not necessarily mandatory (most of my prereqs were CC). I probably would not go into biomedical engineering unless it truly fascinates you. You are already on damage control, and you can't afford any more slip ups. The good news is that you only have 2 yrs of grades under your belt. You can definitely salvage the gpa with effort. Word of warning, though, don't get in over your head and have to drop a course mid-semester. You have to show a trend, and any deviation from your upward trend, even a temporary one, will be a red flag to admissions.

4. Anjlprincezz

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Like the previous poster said, an upward trend is key.. Its really important that your grades reflect your newfound maturity and sense of personal responsibility.. of course you should also get involved with some ECs such as volunteering, shadowing, research.. your PS should probably reflect that you've changed your course of study and such.. Oh yeah, don't forget to "rock the MCAT" :rolleyes:

5. Kfire326

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I say def go to the university for your science pre-reqs, and any other science courses you take. Just make sure to do well...like another person said, you're already on damage control and can't afford slip ups.

A good grade from Course X at the university will look better than a good grade in Course X from the CC. But if you think you can get an A at the CC and a B at the university, i'd take the CC.