Let them review minus one LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

klp14

Member in Flipflops
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's an opinion/experience question. My application is complete at UVM other than an additional LOR from my graduate professor, who has been a little lax in sending them out. The grad school LOR is not required for UVM, so should I ask them to begin reviewing my app and add the grad letter when it arrives? It's so late in the process that I'm afraid waiting too long will put me out of the interview pool (out of state).

Members don't see this ad.

I had precisely the same question for the admissions advisor at Stanford. In my case, her advice was the best thing to do is to send all letters at once otherwise, you run the risk of the application being sent to review with out the benefit of the letter. She said that if the delay is not more than a week then it would not hurt my chances. Also, try dropping by your professors? office and give him/her a thank you card. This is a nice way to remind your busy professor about you and their commitment to writing you a letter. Good luck! :)

hey klp-
from my limited knowledge, it would not hurt you to have your application reviewed as is. i know that columbia will review your app again if you have additional material to add. my suggestion would be to contact UVM and see if they would to the same. my guess is that they would. ok, have to go read up on mouthwash and oral cancer... you're missing out ;) good luck lil' girlie.
your pal,
peter

Members don't see this ad :)
If it were my application I'd want them to go ahead and begin the review, unless you think it's going to be a great letter. In fact I have an extra LOR to use in case of rough water.

if it's a post-interview review, I'd say no. But if it's a pre-interview review...well, then I'm not sure.