let us be glad and give back to others what we got!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

salman

Please try to make a list of all the people, and info, who have got into medschool so that it is benficial to lot of students like us..i.e. let's share the achievements and experiences...

1) School accepted into:
2) GPA
3) extra curricular (the one you think is most important for you selection)
4) MCAT score
5) which year of undergrad was completed last
6) comments:

Mine:

1) yale, nyc
2) 3.98 (in 4.0 scale)
3) conducted a world help mission to Nigeria
4) 39, R
5) 4th
6) found the process very stressful and would like to stress on reasearch and do at least one thing that is unique.

Members don't see this ad.

Here's my info, salman

1. Cornell
2. 3.8 (stanford), 3.4 science
3. honors thesis in neuro, year in nepal volunteering in children's hospital
4. 39
5. 4th
6. ditto on what salman says: do something unique, and do research and volunteering (preferrably med-related)

It would probably be more benefitial and encouraging for premeds to hear stats that are less than perfect. Good lord, 39!
Out of the 50K people that took the MCAT, how many scored 39 or better?

Members don't see this ad :)
ls --don't worry hopefully there are still a lot of people yet to put their stats

A friend of mine got into nyc, with 3.5GPA and 29 Mcat, but he was kinda good in sports.

1. Yale/Baylor
2. 3.78 (UGA)
3. in a rock band, started AMSA here, web sites
4. 37
5. About to finish 4th
6. Make yourself stand out....do the things that make you happy, not what looks good on an application!

Salman...are you going to Yale? if so email me at [email protected]

THEMAN...i haven't decided where i want to go yet....yale is good, but i am not sure if they are as exciting as john hopkins i terms of research..i am still waiting for reply from them

1) TCOM/Temple U.
2) 3.6
3) Nothing
4) 34 (10V, 12B, 12P)
5) 4
6) Don't screw yourself up like I did at the interviews. The interview is very important. Make a good first impression because there's no second chance.

Salman, Yale doesn't accept foreign students that haven't completed at least one year of study at an American College or University. Your 39-R isn't as ficticious as your claim to Yale is it, eh?
wink.gif

------------------
"You're a daisy if you do."

doc holliday..i am not here to prove anything at all..what do you mean by studying in america for atleast a year..i have been born and brought up here in u.s. i don't have to prove anything...

moreover, you are one sad person..do you realize the guy you are refering to is salman1 and is unregistered....hmm don't see a difference yet..or do you think there is only one Bob and one John in this world...poor doc holliday, you need more friends

Yeah Salman, and buddy buttercup....sure, here's my stuff:

1) Harvard, had the highest stats for this year (I rock!!!)

2) 440.0 (on a 4.0 scale)

3) I traveled the whole world for last three years curing aids with my secret (patent pending) formula. Been to 125 countries teaching countries animal husbandry to cure hunger. Invented cancer free cigarettes

4) MCAT 39,000,867,756,564,890 (World record)

5) Year one of undergrad/grad completed last (I finished bachelors and masters in one year)

6) This stuff is so easy, I may just scrap the whole thing for my hobby: finish my ion-propulsion rocket engine space shuttle so I can be first to Mars!

Hows that sound salman....About as credible as yours?

you guys are obviously missing the point...okay i am a loser, i just barely made the cut..i don't know why they took me blah, blah..now can you guys contribute..come on people, let us not be like kids..trust me i am not good, i got lucky at places and got an opportunity to go to nigeria..it just happened...hey,and i am not a genius like most of you...i had to work my ass off to pull those marks and scores... if you guys studied as much as me, you guys would probably force them to cancel the exams because of your high scores...I am only trying to share my experiences, and that is the truth...hey if a person had 2.7 i would feel happy for him, because he must be absolutely amazing in something else...that's all...com'on fellas, just contribute that's all...i mean, its not like anyone knows you or anything but it just helps the future students, who are going through our past struggles...

Salman... You're profile location is Canada. You forgot to change it to Anytown, USA.

------------------
"You're a daisy if you do."

okay..i forget to change it to anytown, US..boo hoo hoo...oh get over it..lonely doc holliday, find a friend instead of just deflecting from the original purpose of this post..

Members don't see this ad :)
Doc Holliday, you're a DENTIST, aren't you?

[This message has been edited by Nancy (edited 04-09-2000).]

thanks for your ideas. Since you said that you had worked hard for it. can you sneek out some tips about MCAT? just your opinion and stradegy.
email at [email protected]
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by connie (edited 04-12-2000).]

Yikes!
eek.gif
This thread is actually scaring me more than helping me...hahaha And just when I was conquering the MCAT anxiety! I better get back to praying...

Seriously, congrats to you all.I know you worked very hard for your accomplishments.

------------------

"Just like moons and like suns...With the certainty of tides...Just like hopes springing high...Still I'll rise" -Maya Angelou "Still I Rise"

Thanks for the congrats, tanya!
smile.gif

And here's some advice for you and connie...
I can't speak for salman, but I for my own part I studied like crazy for the MCAT. I was also taking the kaplan course, which, as a current Kaplan MCAT instructor I am supposed to say was GREAT.
wink.gif
In truth, it did help a lot, but what did the most good was all those practice tests, both full-length, and half hour that I took to prepare.

I also did a lot of quality reading- NY times, atlantic monthly, scientific american, JAMA. This, I believe is what really boosted up my verbal score.

Good luck to both of you, and remember, stress only wastes valuable brain power
smile.gif

Any premeds out there that want bonfide stats from medical schools' accepted applicants, consult the MSAR publication at your local library, adviser's office, or order your own from the AAMC.

1) Hopkins (Class of 2004), several similar institutions
2) 3.65 (3.47 science, 3.97 humanities @ Wash U in St Louis)
3) Bigtime research experience, almost no clinical, much teaching experience
4) 31 T
5) 4th (graduated 5/00)
6) There is hope for premeds everywhere! My stats are absolutely *average*. *My recommendations made all the difference in the world!* I had the good fortune of getting to know several of my professors quite well, and I asked 7 of them to write letters on my behalf. I imagine the strongest came from my lab mentor -- worked in his lab for 4 summers and 8 semesters. I am not the product of affirmative action (white male), but somehow managed to be admitted based on these stats. If you can get an interview, a school takes you seriously! This process convinced me that college experiences, recommendations, and interviews are just as important as one's record. By the way -- the only reason why Hopkins requires the MCAT is because they joined AMCAS.
smile.gif
The MCAT has the *lowest* correlation with success as a med student when compared with other factors.

A quick plug for my school --
Hopkins is fantastic! Do *not* believe the "competitive" hype you've heard. This spills over from the undergrad campus. The school is amazing, and my classmates are the best part. If you're applying to med schools, you owe it to yourself to check out Hopkins!

Good luck to applicants everywhere!

Cheers,
doepug

OK, first, you do not have to Batman/Superman/WonderWoman, or even the Greeen Lantern to get into medical school. You do need PRETTY good grades (>3.6 to 3.7), an MCAT that won't bring you down (>27), and some good personal experiences. RESEARCH is HUGE. If you've got some research experience, it helps a ton.
1. Baylor U.
2. 3.96
3. hospice volunteer
4. 32
5. 4th

I have a good friend who had avg grades (3.6 I think), a low MCAT (27, then repeated and got a 28), and got in. And, by the way, she just matched into urology. So, don't despair, just work hard.

------------------
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist." The Usual Suspects

okay so it has been a long time since I have visited, but here goes...
1)accepted at usc and iupui, currently attending usc
2) GPA (compared to most of you) a poop 3.3. i was a biology/theology double major
3)clinic work and i was an athelete
4)24 R
5) graduated 5/00

1) WVU and Marshall (also in WV); rejected from UVA, and applied to Hopkins but didn't even get an interview (not looking good!!!)
2) 3.97, Marshall University, Chem Major
3) medicinal plant research
4) 33 O (i know, i can't write very well) (11V, 10P, 12B)
5) I will complete my 3rd year in May, but I also graduate then
6) Just be confident and work hard. I have an average MCAT, but I still managed to get in.

------------------
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

Sorry to interrupt the flow of this thread but I am a junior and currently studying for the MCAT about 20-30 hours every week and I'm starting Princeton Review this sunday. For those of you accepted, congrats and please throw some tips my way as far as MCAT studies. I've been taking practice exams and can consistently get 11-14 on the verbals, 9-12 on the bio, but the physical sciences is from 8-10. I'm pretty pleased but I do realize that these are not REAL tests under real conditions. Any tips would be greatly appreciated, especially on the physical section. I am a bio major doing an independent study in organic chemistry so the bio section doesn't scare me too much (notice I said "too" much). However, although I've done well in my undergrad courses in physics and inorganic, I feel like I lost it all. Thanx folks and again, congrats on achieving your goals..hopefully I'll be posting my numbers this time next year!
sdm

Allright, folks, check out this comeback story (a little encouragement for the more normal folks out there):

1) University of Nevada (where I will most likely attend), CCOM and AZCOM (osteopathic), also waiting for responses from several other allopathic schools where I interviewed.

2) GPA: Undergrad (in English Lit): 2.86 ouch!, with a ~2.2 science, double ouch!
Gradutate (in English Ed) 3.83.
Post Bacc: 4.0 (all science/math)
This gives me a total AMCAS GPA of: 3.19
and an AMCAS BPCM of: 3.34

3) Worked for a camp for inner-city kids, taught high school in bush Alaska for 2 years.

4) 10,11,R,11 (which, despite above posters' statements, is noticeably above average for most schools, allo or osteo). Put me around 87 percentile.

5) Last year of school? I think I've lost count. Let's see. . . I guess 8, if you count the 2 years of graduate!

6) The chief characteristic you have to have to get into med school is desire: You have to want it with everything you've got, so that all of your activities are centered around it. The process is designed to weed out one type of person: those who don't want it bad enough.

For those of you who believe in God, I also think I had more than a little help from above.

smile.gif

I consider myself pretty average as far as med school applicants go:

1) UT health Science Center-San Antonio, TX
2) GPA=3.7 from U. of Washington in Seattle
3) Did research in pediatric infectious disease for 3 years (2 while in school). Published in scientific journal.
4)30
5)graduated 6/00
6) My advice is to write a personal statement that is unique to you. So many people write the same thing. I got many positive comments during interviews on my personal statement.

Applied : USC (S.Carolina), MUSC, Duke, Wakes Forest, Emory, MCG (Georgia), Eastern Carolina
Accepted : MUSC (Medical University of South Carolina
MCAT : 27 (Bio was 8, Phys was 8, Verbal 11)
GPA : 3.85 (science was 3.8)
Extras : taught English in China, medical work in the Philippines

School Accepted into (1994): UConn, Temple, Einstein, Hahnemann, New York Med, George Washington

GPA: 2.9

Extra-curricular: Bicycled from Seattle to Atlantic City to raise $ for the Lung Association

MCAT: 30

Years of Undergrad: 5 (the famed 5 yr program)

Comments: I chose UConn & am currently a gen surgery resident. My general observations from med school: Grades and #'s are poor predictors of success. Some of the best students in my class came off of the weight list. Many of the Salman's of my class struggled, having burned themselves out in undergrad. Remember...medical training is a marathon and some of the first casualties are the sprinters!

School Accepted into (1994): UConn, Temple, Einstein, Hahnemann, New York Med, George Washington

Extra-curricular: Bicycled from Seattle to Atlantic City to raise $ for the Lung Association

Comments: I chose UConn & am currently a gen surgery resident. My general observations from med school: Grades and #'s are poor predictors of success. Some of the best students in my class came off of the weight list. Many of the Salman's of my class struggled, having burned themselves out in undergrad. Remember...medical training is a marathon and some of the first casualties are the sprinters!

Surg,
You are my hero! Was your GPA really a 2.9? I'm not trying to question you or say you don't deserve to be where you are, I have no doubt your smart and earned your spot, but you were excepted to several med schools and your gpa wasn't that high. Einstein U. for example said that the undergraduates had a least a 3.7 in 1999 and some of the other schools you mentioned take few out-of-staters and you're from WI (a fellow cheese head).
What made you stickout (besides biking the country), you must be really great in something or have a great personality.
Thanks

------------------
"If you have the courage to begin, you have the courage to succeed."
-David Viscott

[This message has been edited by rpames (edited 02-20-2001).]

DUDE, he biked across the country! Med schools, whether you believe it or not, take into account a person's character. That is much more important than a low GPA.

Besides, he had a fine MCAT score, proving that he's intelligent. That too is more important that the GPA.

Surg,

Where are you doing your residency...a friend of mine I think was the same year as you in UConn...she is now at Mount Auborn (Internal Med, Boston)...this is her second year of residency...