Jul 7, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
What i understand as of right now, just want to make sure this is correct because I keep getting conflicting answers...

Calcitonin: DECREASES levels of Ca in the blood (Inhibits its reabsorbtion at the kidney), secreted by C cells of thyroid
Parathyroid hormone: INCREASES levels of Ca in blood (Stimulates its reabsorbtion at the kidney), secreted by parathyroid
Calcitriol: Same as parathyroid hormone, secreted by kidney??

Thanks guys! Just trying to understand this once and for all

kraskadva

7+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2011
in a bubble
Status
Medical Student
Have you tried wikipedia? Because all three of these have solid pages with a good synopsis in the 1st paragraph...

And FYI- Calcitonin and Parathyroid hormone are both peptide hormones that have opposite effects on blood calcium.
Calcitrol on the other hand is the active form of Vit D3 (not a peptide). It can be made in the kidneys, or taken from diet.

Reactions: Czarcasm
OP
Z
Jul 7, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Have you tried wikipedia? Because all three of these have solid pages with a good synopsis in the 1st paragraph...

And FYI- Calcitonin and Parathyroid hormone are both peptide hormones that have opposite effects on blood calcium.
Calcitrol on the other hand is the active form of Vit D3 (not a peptide). It can be made in the kidneys, or taken from diet.
Yes I read up on wikipedia as well and just wanted to confirm because these three (namely calcitriol and calcinotonin) were confusing me but I understand it now! Thanks for your reply!

Cawolf

Medical Student
5+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2013
Status
Medical Student
A mnemonic I read on AAMC is that Parathyroid - RID (rids bone of calcium) while Calcitonin - IN (calcium into bone).

In case you get the two mixed up often as I do.