Let's comment on how many schools I'm applying to...

MasterMD

it's a smile on the rocks
10+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Ready???? GO!!

Get It Out Of Your System!

leahmaria

10+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2006
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
it must be costing you a fortune...and I am sure that the secondaries would take up a lot of time too! What is your top choice?

About the Ads

jackieMD2007

***MVI***
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
The Hospital
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Did you already submit all of those on your primary? What was the bill?

EDIT: Also, hun, I don't know about other states, but for IL---both Rush Medical College and UIC have heavy in-state preference. Also, Rush's secondary was a beeeeeyotch!

Good :luck: to you though. I wish I had the $$ to apply to all of those places. I am finding that 19 applications might be too many, as it is...we will see. :D

DoctorPardi

In Memory of Riley Jane
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2005
Alabama
Status
Resident [Any Field]
MasterMD said:
Ready???? GO!!

You've really got to be joking. If you're not you're a moron, because many of the schools you're applying too are OOS schools that accept a very low number of OOSers and even some OOS schools that have high MCAT/GPAs.

Anastasis

caffeinated for safety
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2005
TX
Status
Attending Physician
MasterMD said:
Ready???? GO!!

I mean, like i've said before...

*insert perfunctory joke about number of schools here*

It was starting to crack me up how everyone kept pointing that out in every thread you posted in. But I bet, to you, it got annoying.

Rafa

headbutts like zidane
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2006
the internets
dailywarnews.blogspot.com
Status
Pre-Medical
You've actually *lessened* your chances of getting into any of those schools individually.

leahmaria

10+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2006
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
jackieMD2007 said:
I was curious...if I counted right it's nearly 90 schools...so 2500-3000?

DoctorPardi

In Memory of Riley Jane
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2005
Alabama
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I just want to point out that, to be considered seriously at any school you will need to know information about that school and be able to write about it and at least seem sincere. So I am accusing you of not being able to do enough research to truly be a good candidate at all of these schools. Evidence of this can be seen in the fact that you applied to places like UAB and South Alabama that take about 10 OOSers a year. Applying to UAB unless you have lived in Alabama or have some strong family connections is basically a waste. Not to mention that UAB's GPA is much higher than yours and your mcat is right around their average.

So, I think if you aren't just joking, which I think you must be, you are wasting thousands of dollars and will fair no better than if you had applied to 20 schools that you were really interested in.

zach1201

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2006
Status
Robizzle said:
you might want to apply more broadly.
I had a good chorttle over this comment.

By the way, the OP needs to receive more attention some other way....

marr

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 3, 2004
Status
MasterMD said:
Ready???? GO!!

Just ran through your list and LSU SOM in shreveport and new orleans don't take out of state unless your parents are alumni of LSU SOM New Orleans or that you are a MD/PHD applicant. A 32 will get you into a MED school, which one depends on your overall applicantion. Best of Luck and if you somehow did interview at LSU NO give me a holla'. Best of Luck.

About the Ads

dr_90210

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2006
Status
MasterMD said:
Ready???? GO!!

with a 32 mcat, 3.5 gpa, and being asian, you shoulda used the money you used to start up your own chinese resturante

Ginkneephur

Insane Since 1984
10+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2006
FL
Status
Medical Student
I don't think you applied to enough

g3pro

Dr. Mogley
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2003
Status
dr_90210 said:
with a 32 mcat, 3.5 gpa, and being asian, you shoulda used the money you used to start up your own chinese resturante
South Asia = India.

DarkFark

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2005
Status
Medical Student
I think it would be simpler if you just listed the schools you aren't applying to.

If you have the money to pay for all those primaries and secondaries, what do you need a career for?

Whootman

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2006
Champaign, IL
Status
Pre-Medical
MasterMD said:
Ready???? GO!!

Let me start a thread so everyone can talk about me! I am soooo important. What a sad cry for attention.

(Sorry, I couldn't help it)

riceman04

10+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2005
Los Angeles
Status
Medical Student
MasterMD said:
Ready???? GO!!

Ok so even though you are purposely looking for attn (like a child) I am going to feed you b/c what you are doing is insane. So how much are mom's and pop's shelling out for that?

You need to go sit in timeout or something b/c that really makes no sense to apply to all those schools (many of which are public that are not your state school(s)).

Hope you have fun spending (read wasting) your parent's $

Zoom-Zoom

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2005
California
Status
Medical Student
If there were more schools, she would have applied to those too. :D

p.s. I'm planning to apply after I graduate and I'm considering applying to almost that many schools since I'll have time for the secondaries. When I say almost I mean like half, which is still a lot.

Gabujabu

10+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2004
CA
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Some one from my school applied to EVERY SINGLE medical school in the US and didn't get in anywhere. I doubt that will happen to you, but after a while, its really diminishing returns with more apps. Moreover, will you really have time to give thoughtful responses to the many secondaries you'll fill out?

DoctorPardi

In Memory of Riley Jane
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2005
Alabama
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Zoom-Zoom said:
If there were more schools, he would have applied to those too. :D

p.s. I'm planning to apply after I graduate and I'm considering applying to almost that many schools since I'll have time for the secondaries. When I say almost I mean like half, which is still a lot.
As long as you make smart choices in which schools you will apply too I think it is ok to apply to 30 or so schools. It is just stupid to apply to 90 schools, and 30 or more of them probably will not even consider the OP because they are OOS public schools.

About the Ads

Dr Durden

10+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2006
The Dirty South
Status
Medical Student
At least this gargantuan (I so rarely get the opportunity to use that word in a sentence :D ) list isn't simply the top 25 in the US News rankings like so many premed clones on here.

R.P. McMurphy

10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
MasterMD said:
Ready???? GO!!

Hey, if you have the $$ and time, go for it :) Good luck, that is one monster of a list :luck:

joanofarc0907

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
good luck with all those damn secondaries...i'm worn out and i haven't even come close to finishing my 15

PhotoMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2004
NYC
Status
Medical Student
I mean, call me a cynic, but if you were annoyed at people commenting on your school list, why did you make your mdapplicants profile your signature? Just a thought.

OP
MasterMD

MasterMD

10+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2006
Status
Medical Student
answers to your questions:

i am cutting schools as i go that i don't feel i can be sincere to.. notice schools i have withdrawn from pre-secondary... it was not because i didnt have time to do their secondary...

i made a thread not to get attention but because i get the attention regardless of whether i ask for it

i am dropping schools that i know dont take a lot of out of staters as i go also

i read my MSAR so i know which schools will possibly consider out of state even if they have a preference.. and you don't necessarily know if i have an honest interest in going to say New Orleans, but i may and if i can express that in my application i would hope they would consider me

i put it in my sig so that when i make comments on schools or secondaries or anything else, people can have something to reference to see where i'm coming from

being a CA resident and with so many schools preferring their own state except CA, i really don't feel very confident with my stats, so i felt i needed to do it right once.. i know many people who have simply not gotten into medical school

i'm only doing summer school (volunteering, etc) right now so i have plenty of time on the weekends to do secondaries.. its all about budgeting time

my parents want me to have every opportunity they didnt have growing up so they are being extremely emotionally and financially supportive in this process

please continue to ask questions and make comments so that i can clear everything up and not have to deal with this again. i think it's funny that ppl comment but i find it hard to believe that these ppl who comment have not seen another comment elsewhere on this board about my MDApps profile.

OP
MasterMD

MasterMD

10+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2006
Status
Medical Student
jackieMD2007 said:

EDIT: Also, hun, I don't know about other states, but for IL---both Rush Medical College and UIC have heavy in-state preference. Also, Rush's secondary was a beeeeeyotch!

Good :luck: to you though. I wish I had the $$ to apply to all of those places. I am finding that 19 applications might be too many, as it is...we will see. :D
born and spent much of my life in IL.. family in IL.. etc etc.. :)

QuantumMechanic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2005
Hilbert Space
Status
Medical Student
you gotta dig deeper than the MSAR to find out if you can get in.

For example, you just wasted 30 bucks sending the AMCAS to the University of Tennessee. If wouldve done a closer inspeciton on their website, you will find out that UT won't consider an OOS applicant unless they are from a state that touches TN (AL, MS, GA, AR, MO, KY, VA, NC) or if youre a son/daughter of an alumnus/ae of UT-memphis.

W

WWU_Viking

OP...did you consult the MSAR, or at least check out stats at medschoolready.com?

DrVanNostran

10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
MasterMD said:
born and spent much of my life in IL.. family in IL.. etc etc.. :)
Good luck!!! I am applying to a lot of schools as well-in the 40s so I am used to the criticism as well, but if you can handle it go for it. I am about half way done and lovin it lol.

Just some advice to you, keep a set amount of time per day for secondaries so you are top of everything and create a spread sheet so you are organized about lors etc. One day at a time, but good luck!!! :luck:

OP
MasterMD

MasterMD

10+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2006
Status
Medical Student
DrVanNostran said:
Good luck!!! I am applying to a lot of schools as well-in the 40s so I am used to the criticism as well, but if you can handle it go for it. I am about half way done and lovin it lol.

Just some advice to you, keep a set amount of time per day for secondaries so you are top of everything and create a spread sheet so you are organized about lors etc. One day at a time, but good luck!!! :luck:

done :) thanks.. :)

good luck to you too!!

i think im gonna quit posting for awhile.. i think i was very sheltered and a bit naive to believe that people were not this rude in real life... there are nice ways to say things and there are rude ways, and ive gotten quite sick of the rudeness on this board, ie the "good job being stupid" rather than "just to help you out, here's the info on this..." not just in this thread because it was expected here but in general.

im sure ive been more disappointed with humanity in general before but this is supposed to be a pre-professional board. i'm just a little stunned that these types of people will be my colleagues one day. :(

iceman77_7

10+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2006
Status
Medical Student
MasterMD said:
being a CA resident and with so many schools preferring their own state except CA
Amen to that! It sucks to live in CA.

Hednej

***** Level 60
10+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Before your 45th interview, you will commit suicide.

Lilah

10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
Status
iceman77_7 said:
Amen to that! It sucks to live in CA.
Actually, living in California is awesome, which is one of the reasons it’s so hard to stay in CA for medical school. Nobody wants to leave. :)

But I know you meant from an applicant’s perspective since it’s so competitive.

zach1201

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2006
Status
By the way OP, if you want to see if people have posted on your MDapp profile, click on the update profile button, sign in and see if you need to approve posts.

Dr. Pepper

Duffman in Disguise
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2005
Behind the orange juice....
Status
Medical Student
MasterMD said:
done :) thanks.. :)

good luck to you too!!

i think im gonna quit posting for awhile.. i think i was very sheltered and a bit naive to believe that people were not this rude in real life... there are nice ways to say things and there are rude ways, and ive gotten quite sick of the rudeness on this board, ie the "good job being stupid" rather than "just to help you out, here's the info on this..." not just in this thread because it was expected here but in general.

im sure ive been more disappointed with humanity in general before but this is supposed to be a pre-professional board. i'm just a little stunned that these types of people will be my colleagues one day. :(
No need to take the comments so seriously. Most of them are lighthearted anyway. With that said, I recommend you filter out secondaries as you go based on new information.

Either way, its your life and your application. Best of luck to you and I hope you have a good relationship with your mailman.
-Dr. P.

NYMC MD 2B

10+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2006
Status
Take it from someone who just went through this whole process, you need to modify that list. First of all, you are an ORM. While your numbers are solid, they might not stand up against the onslaught of other Asian applicants with astronomical numbers. Second of all, as mentioned here already, you are applying to way too many schools that are out of state with strict residency requirements. You need to cut most of those schools out. Be realistic. I am a caucasian female, with a higher GPA and the same MCAT as you, and I was not accepted to any Ca schools. Of course, numbers are not everything, but they are a big part of it.

About the Ads