Lets Debunk the Myth - "B in Orgo Kills Your Chances for Med School"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I received a(n) ...

• B-/B/B+ or lower in Orgo 1 OR 2 and was rejected from all schools I heard back from

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • B-/B/B+ or lower in Orgo 1 OR 2 and have currently not had an interview yet

• B-/B/B+ or lower in Orgo 1 OR 2 and invited for interview(s); waitlisted or awaiting decision(s)

Votes: 23 11.6%
  • B-/B/B+ or lower in Orgo 1 OR Orgo 2 and was accepted into medical school(s)

Votes: 97 49.0%
  • A-/A/A+ in Orgo 1 AND 2 and was rejected from all schools I heard back from

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A-/A/A+ in Orgo 1 AND 2 and have currently not had an interview yet

• A-/A/A+ in Orgo 1 AND 2 and was invited for interview(s); waitlisted or awaiting decision(s)

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • A-/A/A+ in Orgo 1 AND 2 and was accepted into medical school(s)

Votes: 55 27.8%

• Total voters

BMW M3

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why is it such a common belief that if you get a B in Orgo, you cannot get into medical school?

Personally, I think there's a lot more than a grade in Organic Chemistry that determines your eligibility.

Please vote on the poll so we can debunk this myth.

Members don't see this ad.

There is a myth getting a B in orgo means you cannot get into med school? I wish I knew this before getting B's in Orgo I and II and decided to apply to med schools.

BMW M3 said:
Why is it such a common belief that if you get a B in Orgo, you cannot get into medical school?

Personally, I think there's a lot more than a grade in Organic Chemistry that determines your eligibility.

A B kills your chances? :eek: How about those with a C+ or lower in OChem.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's garbage, I got B's in both Orgo I and II and got into my top two choices.

Sorry, i had problems getting the options to fit... the poll is up now... please vote

BMW M3 said:
Sorry, i had problems getting the options to fit... the poll is up now... please vote

yeah i dont agree with the myth...got B in first A in second...its not gonna kill you..its just one class but for many schools it separates the pretenders from the contenders...

That is just a myth. I got a C+ and B- in Orgo I and II and still kicked ass on the MCAT and got accepted to med school recently and kicked butt on the other two interviews.

Adcoms really do look at the complete profile of the applicant, not just how they did in orgo.

lol i didnt even know it was a "myth". But it sounds absurd that soo much weight would be put just one pre req.....

I took undergrad organic I and organic II both P/F (and passed them both). In grad school, I mostly earned Bs in my organic courses (and As in my p chem courses, interestingly.)

It would help if there was any myth like that in the first place.

A good MCAT BS score will preemptively answer any questions about organic trouble (unless you got like a D). Nobody really cares.

Seriously, Bs in both Orgo 1 and 2 here, and I'm in like Flynn.

C in orgo 1, A in orgo 2 and rec from prof. also 14 on mcat bio, so i think i made up for my blunder. accepted at ohio state, interviews at penn and columbia which were my top 2

i wasnt even asked about my C in orgo 1, only a C i made in summer school history 1. and that was at ohio state where i still got in

Members don't see this ad :)
DrKitty said:
this poll is very encouraging

Well, after 54 responses the only people to get totally rejected or not interviewed are B-people and the proportion of wait-listed vs. accepted is far, far better for A-people. So while you can get in being a B-person it does look like it is better to be an A-person. Shocking. :eek: :rolleyes:

B- orgo 1, C+ in orgo 2...got two acceptances before halloween and a waitlist. orgo isn't as important as some people want to make it seem.

B in orgo 1 and 2. accepted into 4 schools 2 years ago, including UPitt:)

i dont fit in this poll, C, B, A in orgo 1, 2, and 3 respectively, i hold acceptances at USC, UIC, and ohio state, and in my 8 interviews no one has said a word about the C

A in orgo I, B+ in orgo II. Returned secondaries to six schools, will have interview invites from four of them, have gone to two, and one acceptance. The other school is funny in that there's this special program; I don't they make a decision for these certain applicants until spring. But who cares, it was a lower choice than the school I was accepted to.

I agree with pretty much everyone else here. No one cares about your orgo scores as long as they were half decent.

OP i dont know why you set the orgo standards so high, you shouldve dropped into the C range to get a better idea

Shredder said:
OP i dont know why you set the orgo standards so high, you shouldve dropped into the C range to get a better idea
Totally agree.

I got a C in Orgo 1 and A- in Orgo 2 and 1 interview.

C and C- in ochem I and II. Applied 2004 to no acceptances, but 1 acceptance so far in 2005!

i dont know where this myth came from...

my school only gives out whole letter grades, no pluses or minuses.....

i got Bs in both orgo... not to mention ALL MY PREREQS... except for getting As in bio lab 1, bio lab2, physics2, physics lab 2, ochem lab2, english 2

and yet, i still keep getting the invites.

B+ in Orgo I, B- in Orgo II.

17 schools applied to, 16 interview offers, 8 interviews attended, 8 acceptences, 4 schools offered scholarships, two offered full rides.

Peace.

dc

Have you seen the results? DEBUNKED!

BMW M3 said:

There is no myth. Its the truth :(

:smuggrin:

Same goes for any letter grades lower than a B. Too bad I have a few of them. More like 2 handfuls ;)

Well just to give you the other side of the coin I got A- and A in Orgo 1 & 2 repectively and I still haven't gotten even one interview.(Looks like A's are no guarantee either. I'm definitely going to call these places and find out what they didn't like. Well, except Albany but you may have read about that :D )

I know someone who got a B in organic I - he's doing just fine - I think he just got promoted....assistant manager down at wal-mart

nebrfan said:
I know someone who got a B in organic I - he's doing just fine - I think he just got promoted....assistant manager down at wal-mart

hahah ... :p

Thanks for all the votes guys, the trend is very promising for those who got B's or lower in Orgo

C in Orgo 1, C in Orgo 2 (grade wasnt on transcript yet when I applied) and accepted. SOOO glad that torture is over.

Try this on for size:

D, yes a D in orgo 1, and a C in orgo 2.

Still interviewed, one acceptance, high ranked waitlists. :p

BMW M3 said:

I agree. However: Come on people, Organic Chemistry is really not that tough. And while we are on the topic, how can people who want to become doctors not like organic chemistry? It is part of the foundation of modern medicine! Aside from being a fascinating class, those modeling kits can be used to make some wonderful christmas ornaments.

jcstack001 said:
I agree. However: Come on people, Organic Chemistry is really not that tough. And while we are on the topic, how can people who want to become doctors not like organic chemistry? It is part of the foundation of modern medicine! Aside from being a fascinating class, those modeling kits can be used to make some wonderful christmas ornaments.

i totally made a reindeer out of mine.