Lets get motivated over Winter Break: Tell me what you studied today

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BackToTheWall

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There was a thread on whether on not one should study over winter break... this is a thread for all you out there who are serious about the April Mcats and have started to hit the material at a good pace. Post what you went over or did each day and how many hours you spent doing it. I'm sure a great deal of us will up the pace when they realize how hard everyone else is already working or has been working. Also post what are your goals for tomorrow and see if you can stick to them. :) Lets keep each other motivated!

What I studied today:
Went over the following chapters in my Berkeley Review Books:

1. Electrochemistry (includes galvanic cells, electrolytic cells, basics of oxidation reduction balancing, emf, electroplating, etc)

2. Kinetics (first, second, third order reactions, rate laws, half lives, common graphs concerning each reaction, etc)

3. Made flashcards of each section of each of these two chapters for easy review and fluency of the material.

On tomorrow's agenda:

1. Gases (pv=nrt baby!)

2. Phase and Phase changes

3. Thermochemistry

4. 5 verbal reasoning passages

5. Read the wall street journal and Time magazine

STUDY HARD AND PLAY HARD. :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad.

pretty much killed Bio lecture 6. Digestion and excretion.. That kidney filtration is pretty complicated, and alot to memorize. I figure I will give over all the bio and make notes, than spend about a week memorizing everything. Tommorows agenda is circulatory system and respiration, in moderate detail.

OrGoMan said:
pretty much killed Bio lecture 6. Digestion and excretion.. That kidney filtration is pretty complicated, and alot to memorize. I figure I will give over all the bio and make notes, than spend about a week memorizing everything. Tommorows agenda is circulatory system and respiration, in moderate detail.

man my eyes are itchy. im taking tpr, but today i went over mechanics and im trying to finish the chapter so i can do problems. then i am going to try to go back to peridoic trends and bonding.

tommorow i plan to continue mechanics, periodic crap and while on the bus to work/ and intern go over the notes i made on krebs and dna stuff. trying real hard not to freak out. ugh. :(

you can give me a private message if you want so we can kick each others arses, motivation, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
went over general chemistry: balancing equations, ksp, molality, molarity, PV=nRT and the laws that go along with it (Boyles, charles), phase changes, calculating BP and FPs. basically, most chem. equations to make practice perfect.

Cheers to you all starting early.

For Kaplan

Outlined Bio unit I, Physics unit I, CEM units I and II, Organic I, Verbal (did questions)

Is it me or are practice tests / Topicals hard as h*ll??!??!?

GreekPre-Med said:
For Kaplan

Outlined Bio unit I, Physics unit I, CEM units I and II, Organic I, Verbal (did questions)

Is it me or are practice tests / Topicals hard as h*ll??!??!?

yeah...the physics topicals are really bad

I'm having trouble sticking to my schedule, but today I've done:

-The cell
-Enzymes

In the Kaplan review notes and went back into my respective textbooks for further understanding.

Here's one mnemonic from the Kaplan review notes: Notice how the "O" in Hyp-o-tonic looks like a swollen cell.

Well, I got up early today (1pm, as opposed to 3pm yesterday) and did pretty much nothing. :smuggrin:

But over the summer, I suffered. :( You guys can do eet!

First two chapters of Kaplan Organic review - Nomenclature, isomers, etc.

First chapter of TPR Bio review - mostly Michealis Menten kinetics, Glycolysis, Krebs, PDC, ETC....

Doing Kaplan Chemistry Chapters 2 and 3 :sleep:

WAKE ME UP IN 5MIN!!!

I am doing the Gen Chem 2 Kaplan Topicals and subject tests today. Has anybody tried the AAMC passages at the kaplan center yet? Are they helpful?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm having alittle difficulty getting myself going with physics...especially after doing the first topical test from Kaplan. Physics is sometimes not my friend :( .... does anyone have any suggestions as to ways to overcome this lack of motivation to study for physics? :oops:

Gardenvariety said:
I'm having alittle difficulty getting myself going with physics...especially after doing the first topical test from Kaplan. Physics is sometimes not my friend :( .... does anyone have any suggestions as to ways to overcome this lack of motivation to study for physics? :oops:

start with what you know well, to boost yr physics libido, then tackle the stuff you don't like....after every passage give yrself a reward, ....it works

What I've done in the past two days:

Still reading wall street journal and time magazine daily for better reading skills.

Finished out Thermochemistry almost done with Phase/Phase changes.

Been working my way into doing verbal passages every day, did five yesterday scoring 9/9 8/9 6/9 9/9. Still need to hone.

Maybe its me but for the people that are flying through 6 chapters (ie 3 physics chapters, and 3 chemistry chapters)... how the heck are you doing it? Are you retaining everything or is this just a VERY general review where your just reading/skimming through the material? Cause suppose you spent 1hr on each subject.. you'd be studying at least 6 hrs a day and im assuming if the chapters are 30 pgs... then thats only 2 min per page which is pretty ridiculous.

Today's agenda: Quickly finish out phase/phase changes, move onto Gases. Then if time, start hitting first bio topic and of course do at least 4 verbal reasoning passages.

STUDY HARD FOLKS.

Feel free to send me PMs telling me what a nerd i am or how much of a nerd you are. :smuggrin:

Bhavesh said:

-The cell
-Enzymes

In the Kaplan review notes and went back into my respective textbooks for further understanding.

Here's one mnemonic from the Kaplan review notes: Notice how the "O" in Hyp-o-tonic looks like a swollen cell.

Same here Bhavesh, I find it helpful once you get a feel of how fast you can actually go through the material, set realistic goals for yourself and always finish it no matter what. As you gain more confident and your focus is better, start increasing the amount of material that you can go through slowly. Of course you'll start to study more hours as well cause you'll want to go through more.

Generally it seems if you can go through two chapters of material a day and learn it VERY well at this point, your probably in good shape. For the people that are doing 6 chapters, dunno how they do it. At their pace they should be finished reviewing by jan 22nd or so which is ridiculous.

I love this post... cause you can gauge how fast or how slow your going.

I know, I'm sick, but I'm kind of enjoying this biological science studying. Maybe because its really casual, or that I finally get it, where I didn't when I took bio, but I'm liking it so far. Eek!!

Cozmosis said:
I know, I'm sick, but I'm kind of enjoying this biological science studying. Maybe because its really casual, or that I finally get it, where I didn't when I took bio, but I'm liking it so far. Eek!!

The funny thing is, I'm also finding that it is sinking in a lot easier the second time around too!!! :D

I did Chp 1 physics EK.... Really didn't understand what I read. I will have lots more time over teh weekend to make up for my inadequate preperation.
cheers

Bhavesh said:

-The cell
-Enzymes

That's a good one.

Watching the Chemistry CDs on MCAT Gold Standard....Finished watching the first CD....surprisingly...not bad!

Reviewing is going slower than I thought... probably cause there's so many small variations in general chem that one has to pay attention to.

For example, if I were trying to fly through the material, I wouldn't have paid attention to BackToTheWall's...

"Stump question of the day"
- If you have a graph w/ the y-axis as temperature and the x-axis as "total heat added at a constant rate" you'd get your normal graph signifying the boiling pt, freezing pt, etc... where the areas of phase changes are designated by horizontal slopes. Now get this... if you add impurities into the solution and you graph again... what kind of slopes would you get during the phase changes and WHY? :) Something to think about.

So today I finished up Phases and Phase Changes and started on Gases. Also did my five daily verbal reasoning passages. Of which i only missed 2 questions.... still so psyched that I can still read and absorb material very well. Verbal reasoning is probably the best part of my studying day.

Well tomorrow i'll finally be through gases and i can move onto bio.

STUDY STUDY STUDY!

Please feel free to pm me and tell me how much of a nerd i am or further elaborate how much of a nerd you are :smuggrin:

Cozmosis said:
I'd assume the phase change slope would be negative, because impurities lower phase change points, and put them over larger ranges. Right?

Cozmosis... there would be a negative slope associated with the phase change slope and when you say the impurities would "put them over larger ranges" and you mean that as the molecules of the solvent are shifting phases (ie from solid to liquid or liquid to gas or vice versa), there relative amount of impurities increase compared to the solvent molecules that are shifting phase thus lowering the freezing point at that instant (or increasing boiling point if your looking at the other side of the graph) thus causing the aforementioned negative slope... then you are correct.

So I went ahead and did some physics problems that weren't too bad from the book, and that definetly helped boost me up a bit in my physics motivation. I'm working right now so I will be studying tonight, and I think I will go ahead and keep going with chapter's 3 and 4 in physics and throw in some bio as a break. :rolleyes:

finishing up with chemistry kinetics, equilibrium and thermodynamics Kaplan topical tests. I reviewed the chapters a few days ago and i am just taking the tests now and going over explanations. I think i learn more through the tests. I am making less silly mistakes than when i started.

I will also finish up the two Kaplan physics tests that i have left over from before. I use the subject tests for content reinforcement. Good luck guys!

BackToTheWall said:
So today I finished up Phases and Phase Changes and started on Gases. Also did my five daily verbal reasoning passages. Of which i only missed 2 questions.... still so psyched that I can still read and absorb material very well. Verbal reasoning is probably the best part of my studying day.

:thumbup:

Are you timing youself while you do the passages?

hihi, new to the community. actually i studied all the sciences throughout the last 3 weeks and just begin to do the science practiced exams last two days, things are going smooth, i scored a 12 (physical) and 13 (bio) on my first try at the exam (aamc 5R). i just feel confident on the sciences cuz i think my background is very strong. so i will start the verbal practice tommorow and go at it for 3 month, i think i will need the whole time since my first language is not english and will need to increase my vocab and reading skills, cheers.

Keep it up guys, I'm rooting for all of you.

How do you get motivated? I'll be honest; I lose focus after a certain amount of time.

Taking a break might mean I lose the rest of the day. It's hard to go back to MCAT when I have the vacation time to pursuit things I enjoy doing, but can't do during the academic semester.

swifteagle43 said:
Watching the Chemistry CDs on MCAT Gold Standard....Finished watching the first CD....surprisingly...not bad!

How do you like MCAT Gold Standard? Are the CD's mpegs? Animations? I find those very helpful.

cfdavid said:
How do you like MCAT Gold Standard? Are the CD's mpegs? Animations? I find those very helpful.

This book was pretty bad. I found that the practice tests differed radically from actual MCATs.

Bhavesh said:
Keep it up guys, I'm rooting for all of you.

How do you get motivated? I'll be honest; I lose focus after a certain amount of time.

Taking a break might mean I lose the rest of the day. It's hard to go back to MCAT when I have the vacation time to pursuit things I enjoy doing, but can't do during the academic semester.

same here.

I set very modest goals considering its break and all. In the begining i thought i would be studying 4 hours a day. However, that is neither required nor healthy for a person like me. So best advice is to be realistic. :luck:

hey everyone! Hope your break is going well. I started studying about a week ago. So far I have done the first 3 lessons in EK Bio and 1st lesson in EK Physics and finished the verbal EK book (heh doesn't say much as it is the length of a magazine). I am getting distracted very easily and unfortunately school starts in a few days. Any ideas to get motivated for the biggest exam of my life?..hehe probably shouldn't have a problem but I am. Thanks and gluck to everyone.

took a break over the weekend. I plan to do Physics electrostatics and circuits topical tests today. i went over those review notes about a week ago. Then i am going to do some verbal tommorow.

English hasn't ever been my strong point. However, I am doing surprisingly well on the Kaplan verbal passages. I am getting suspicious and pondering the valadity of my performance. Is the kaplan stuff really way easier than the real thing???

DetectiveChubby said:
"gluck" is my new favourite word

gluck all around!

hehe...I am too used to speaking over instant messanging programs that sometimes I type by shortening words. Give me a break!

Has anyone taken one of the old MCATs from the AAMC site yet? If so, how did you do?

Adam

DetectiveChubby said:
same here.

I set very modest goals considering its break and all. In the begining i thought i would be studying 4 hours a day. However, that is neither required nor healthy for a person like me. So best advice is to be realistic. :luck:

Sounds like a much better idea than my original plan of covering everything over christmas break. I'll give it a shot, but it means spreading the material out into the spring semester. Thanks for the tip.

Anyways, cellular metabolism today.

today, read henry james, and some digestion, kidney stuff....oops go to go the bathroom and read some more henry james....gotta love it....

Cozmosis said:
I'll be taking an old MCAT to begin the Examkrackers schedule. That'll be in a couple weeks.

I am in week 1 of that schedule now, lemme know how you do (good luck)!

Adam

Cozmosis said:
And to you. If anybody doesn't want to count back, Feb 6 is the first day of that schedule :)

Hi everyone,

Been working on physics this week, on EK 6 today, which is much better than yesterday's fluids/solid stuff. Not following any particular sched right now, but going to study basic subjects over the next 2 weeks, and then onto the tests.

Just wanted to throw out this website as a general physics one for anyone who wanted a physics-4-dummies experience.

http://www.physicsclassroom.com/Default2.html

Hang in there!

that's so awesome, i need to get motivated real quick. are you taking them in april?

I did one full length Kaplan VR section today. Did decently.

I am going to do another one in few minutes. Is anybody who is taking the Kaplan Prep course doing ALL the practice material?

There is A CRAZY amount of stuff!!!