Let's make a deal: OMS v. Perio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gumgardener2009

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why don't we call a truce on the residency forum? On this forum we should be able to talk openly about our residencies or the application process. If you stay off the perio threads, perio will stay off the OMS threads. And if we feel the kneejerk reflex to bash each other, we can go to the dental student forum and get it out. Sound fair?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
germ said:
Which team or you Einstein?
Weakness is not unusual among oral plastic surgeons.

Gumgardener, it's unfortunate for you that there are more OMFS residents than perio residents on the forum right now. If you search a little bit you can find some warm and fuzzy things I've said about perio, but I won't repeat them now or ever. Let the battle begin.
laughingatyou6hn.jpg

germ said:
Which team or you Einstein?
While this retort was quite funny, does anyone else see the irony?

tx oms said:
Weakness is not unusual among oral plastic surgeons.

Gumgardener, it's unfortunate for you that there are more OMFS residents than perio residents on the forum right now. If you search a little bit you can find some warm and fuzzy things I've said about perio, but I won't repeat them now or ever. Let the battle begin.
laughingatyou6hn.jpg

Total flashback. Thats me looking up at my friends and showing them my smile after I went in for a routine wizzie pull and the OMS dude mistook me for the hockey player who wanted his banged up veggie choppers removed. ;)

Mommas don't let your babies grow up to be Sawjaws
Don't let em pull wizzies to scam a few bucks
Make em be Endos and Perios and such

Bitters said:
I smell weekness

not weakness, just tired of pompous OMS residents going on how crappy other specialties are. As my teachers used to say: someone who makes fun of another is just insecure with themselves. I'd like to see a constructive forum for perio residents and wannabes here, but OMS vultures just like to rip on everybody. By the way, I left a little bait for y'all on the Dental forum. :love:

gumgardener2009 said:
not weakness, just tired of pompous OMS residents going on how crappy other specialties are. As my teachers used to say: someone who makes fun of another is just insecure with themselves. I'd like to see a constructive forum for perio residents and wannabes here, but OMS vultures just like to rip on everybody. By the way, I left a little bait for y'all on the Dental forum. :love:

I love how periodontists think their surgeons.....hah! :laugh: Let me know what you're gonna do when one of your "surgical" cases like crown lengthening blows up into a masticator space/ lateral pharyngeal space infection buddy.....you're gonna calle me...or TX OMS.....

gumgardener2009 said:
As my teachers used to say: someone who makes fun of another is just insecure with themselves.
Or tired of seeing bad work.

C'mon, let's get this going again! I just wore out an ENT intern and I need to vent more.

gumgardener2009 said:
As my teachers used to say: someone who makes fun of another is just insecure with themselves.

Leave it to the periodontist to quote his first grade teacher. Dude, if you want things to stay constructive, you should stop talking.

I love this and I'm LMAO...please leave me alone, please do not make fun of me, please do not fight with me, lets just all get along....

Ok, just answer one question...honestly, what does perio do that a general dentist cannot do legally with their license? Nothing!

General Dentist...crown lengthening, perior surg, gingivectomy, GTR, impants, the list goes on. When is the last time you heard a general dentist refer to perio to get the last hemidesmosome removed from the root surface; bottom line is that perio is a probably a dwendling specialty as more GDs expand their scope and perio will likely only get the cases the GD just doesn't want to spend the time needed to treat; the ones that do not pay.

Basically there is no reason to even try and argue with the perio guys, OMFS and perio are so different it is like comparing apples to oranges...all I know is I would not want some guy who has no idea how to intubate, use an LMA, pre-op evalutate a pt, or bag effectively sedating my family members....Ok, so here it come, we know how to intubate, we are ACLS certified, we can read an EKG (sure you can), yada yada yada....Seriously, perio guys out there, please stick to the basics of gumgardening before someone gets hurt.

With coments like that ther is a wonder how you got into OMS???????

GP's can do all prcedures they feel comfortable with, do they do endo, work on children, pros, ortho (sometimes), ect.......

You feel so insecure that Perio's have similar skills to you in dentoalveolar surgery. It is sad to see that Oral Surgeons think they are the only ones qualified for basic surgery. I would put implant, st, grafting cases done by Periodontists against yours anyday!

Members don't see this ad :)
Drtrigeminal said:
With coments like that ther is a wonder how you got into OMS???????

GP's can do all prcedures they feel comfortable with, do they do endo, work on children, pros, ortho (sometimes), ect.......

You feel so insecure that Perio's have similar skills to you in dentoalveolar surgery. It is sad to see that Oral Surgeons think they are the only ones qualified for basic surgery. I would put implant, st, grafting cases done by Periodontists against yours anyday!

OMS's arent the only ones qualified in placing implants. There's nothing special about implants anymore. All other specialities are jumping in on the bandwagon......prosth, endo, gp, you name it!

Yeah....good luck trying to graft an edentulous atrophic maxilla and mandible with your bovine hydroxyCRAPpetite. With all those vials of bone powder, you guys seem more like witches than anything.

Doggie said:
OMS's arent the only ones qualified in placing implants. There's nothing special about implants anymore. All other specialities are jumping in on the bandwagon......prosth, endo, gp, you name it!

Yeah....good luck trying to graft an edentulous atrophic maxilla and mandible with your bovine hydroxyCRAPpetite. With all those vials of bone powder, you guys seem more like witches than anything.

doesn't someone have to wake up and be at the hospital at 6AM tomorrow??

I know of serveral prostho programs that lets their residents place implants...

i wonder if we can do that as our surgery requirement....

Doggie said:

Doggie's my boy......give't to 'em

StarGirl said:
doesn't someone have to wake up and be at the hospital at 6AM tomorrow??
That sounds like a late morning...nobody to round on?

toofache32 said:
That sounds like a late morning...nobody to round on?

Nope......we're not on trauma this week..... :thumbup:

Drtrigeminal said:

If you haven't seen what oral surgery residents do every day in OR and ER, putting jaws, orbit, putting nose and ear back where its supposed to... you shouldn't even be saying that perio's have similar skills to OS in basic surgery, especially dentoalveolar surgery...OS's don't think they are the only ones, OS believe that they are the best at what they do, especially dentoalveolar surgery. comparing all that OS do, doing a gum surgery, grafting, and implants are a joke. do some research before you say anything, don't just blabber what comes to your mind

I think everyone should try and not act like a know it all jackass. This is NOT classy to go around bagging another's specialty. If you like OMFS then good for you. You obviously are a very hard worker and you put in some serious time, your knowledge base is much better than other specialties. That being said, why rip on the perio guys? You went OS because you thought it was best for you. Congrats, now go work hard and be happy.

Perio guys, you went perio cause it was right for you. You're not an OS and there is enough in perio to keep you busy and you know what you do better than an OS. GP's shouldn't be doing what you're doing and you know this, so you put in the time to learn perio because you have enough class and ethics not to go around trying to make money as a GP doing perio work for which you'd be unqualified for. That is true professionalism and that is very good for all of dentistry.

I think ethics and patient care should be the things to refocus on guys. You will all do fine financially if your patients and colleagues like you. Congrats to both for working hard at something they care about and making it happen.

Rube said:
I think everyone should try and not act like a know it all jackass. This is NOT classy to go around bagging another's specialty. If you like OMFS then good for you. You obviously are a very hard worker and you put in some serious time, your knowledge base is much better than other specialties. That being said, why rip on the perio guys? You went OS because you thought it was best for you. Congrats, now go work hard and be happy.

Perio guys, you went perio cause it was right for you. You're not an OS and there is enough in perio to keep you busy and you know what you do better than an OS. GP's shouldn't be doing what you're doing and you know this, so you put in the time to learn perio because you have enough class and ethics not to go around trying to make money as a GP doing perio work for which you'd be unqualified for. That is true professionalism and that is very good for all of dentistry.

I think ethics and patient care should be the things to refocus on guys. You will all do fine financially if your patients and colleagues like you. Congrats to both for working hard at something they care about and making it happen.

Wow. I'm impressed by your warm, fuzzy attitude for everyone. Maybe you could use your incredible skills of negotiation to cease the conflict between India and Pakistan? Possibly some other world conflict needs you desperately...

Rube said:
I think everyone should try and not act like a know it all jackass. This is NOT classy to go around bagging another's specialty. If you like OMFS then good for you. You obviously are a very hard worker and you put in some serious time, your knowledge base is much better than other specialties. That being said, why rip on the perio guys? You went OS because you thought it was best for you. Congrats, now go work hard and be happy..

Nicely said. Agree completely.

Rube said:

Is there really enough when they are teaching 3rd molar extractions in perio programs now?.............very shady in my book.

Rube said:
I think everyone should try and not act like a know it all jackass. Perio guys, you went perio cause you were scared of real surgery. You're not a surgeon and there are enough prophies to keep you busy and you know how to scrape tartar better than an OS. GP's shouldn't be doing what you're doing and you know this, so you put in the time to learn perio because you have enough class and ethics not to go around trying to make money as a GP doing hygienist work for which you'd be unqualified for. That is true professionalism and that is very good for all of dentistry.

Status
Not open for further replies.