USMLE Lets make a list of EKGs for Step 1 !

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Focused1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think it would be a good idea to try and make a list of the ecgs that could be asked on the step...
I made the following list:

Atrial Fib
Atrial Flutter
Multifocal Atrial Tachycardia
Torsades
VFib
VTach
SVT
Hypo/hyperkalemia
RVH
LVH
Heart Blocks - 1st, 2nd , 3rd Degree
RBBB
LBBB
WPW
Pericarditis
All wall MIs
Long QT
Brugada

Please pitch in...please add more to the list..!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi

Great Idea!

How about these:

- Ventricular Hypertrophy
- HCOM
- Pulmonary Embolism
- AVNRT/AVRT

Have a great day.

I'd say LAE/RAE are possible.
Don't forget "normal" things like sinus tach/brady.
Pacer spikes in the scenario of a guy needing an MRI.

Digoxin toxicity: PAT with block and bidirectional v-tach

I doubt a dig ekg would show up on step 1. As far as I know the dig ekg is highly variable and in general isn't used in the diagnosis or management of dig toxicity.

Members don't see this ad :)
In terms of things I've seen through practice questions:

1) I'd say the highest yield ECG tidbit is recognizing the absence of P-waves. Know atrial fib for sure. Sometimes they'll just show you the ECG then want you to know mural thrombus --> stroke, etc. So that's very high-yield.

2) Know what the WPW delta-wave looks like.

3) Be able to identify the peaked T-wave vs U-wave for hyper-/hypokalaemia. In terms of what I've seen, when they want you to identify the peaked T-wave, it's absurdly peaked, so don't flip out about it.

4) Know the spiking pattern for atrial flutter. The HR is almost always 150/min as well.

5) Simple MI (usually ST-elevation in 3 leads). It would be rare to see a posterior infarct, but be vigilant for a potential ST-depression in the anterior leads.

6) Diffuse ST-elevations +/- PR-depressions = pericarditis.

7) Sinusoidal pattern = TdP

8) Wide-complex tachy = SVT with BBB, or VT. In this case, if it's one or the other, the answer is VT.

9) Mobitz I (gradually increasing PR-segments and then finally a QRS drop) + Mobitz II (random QRS drop).

10) Complete (third-degree) heart block = QRS complexes show a HR of 30-40 and the P-waves don't have any consistent pattern relative to the QRSs.

11) And as ******ed as this sounds, know how to identify a normal ECG too. I had seen a question with a vignette of a guy with chest pain who had personal Hx of atherosclerosis and a family Hx of heart disease, but the answer was actually GERD because apparently the ECG in the question was normal. So rule of thumb: don't get tricked. I got tricked on that one needless to say. I think that may have been GT QBank.

Reactions: 1 users
Reactions: 1 user
I'll add that I had 2 EKGs not on phloston's above list, but as I've mentioned numerous times they were straight forward EKGs that most people can probably recognize.

myocardial infarction: ST elevation
Multifocal atrial tachycardia (MAT): multiple P wave morphologies

I'd say LAE/RAE are possible.
Don't forget "normal" things like sinus tach/brady.
Pacer spikes in the scenario of a guy needing an MRI.

I doubt a dig ekg would show up on step 1. As far as I know the dig ekg is highly variable and in general isn't used in the diagnosis or management of dig toxicity.

Thanks @seminoma .. btw... by LAE RAE u mean p mitrale and p pulmonale right ?

Also you mentioned pacer spikes... do you think we need to learn about the different type of pacemakers ? i recall a UWorld question asking about a pacemaker wire location based on an image... i thought that was fairly left field...

Thanks for your inputs ! :)

I'll add that I had 2 EKGs not on phloston's above list, but as I've mentioned numerous times they were straight forward EKGs that most people can probably recognize.
@seminoma would you say the following list would have been enough prep for your form:

Atrial Fib
Atrial Flutter
Multifocal Atrial Tachycardia
Torsades
VFib
VTach
SVT
Hypo/hyperkalemia
RVH
LVH
Heart Blocks - 1st, 2nd , 3rd Degree
RBBB
LBBB
WPW
Pericarditis
All wall MIs
Long QT
Brugada
LAE/RAE
Sinus Tachy/Brady
guy with pacemaker spikes MRI

Thanks !

Hi

Great Idea!

How about these:

- Ventricular Hypertrophy
- HCOM
- Pulmonary Embolism
- AVNRT/AVRT

Have a great day.
@Keto Thanks !

- I already have Ventricular hypertrophy on my list..
- PE has a variable ECG with S 1 Q 3 T 3 being classic but not always seen.. signs of right heart strain etc may be seen..
- What are the ECG findings in HCOM ?
- AVNRT/AVRT would just be SVT, right ?

afp20130515p691-f1.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
They are not going to ask you a question about RBBB/LBBB, fasicular block, Brugada, etc.
The absolute hardest thing would probably be something like anterior wall MI (ST elevations in V2-V4) and knowing it is an L.A.D. occlusion.
That is about as hard as it will get for straight ECG reading on USMLE Step 1.

That isn't to say they will not include ECGs in questions, just that they will be easy to spot the abnormality or the ECG will be normal/be irrelevant/not essential to answering the question.

P waves (arrows) are all different.
Damn it... :-(
yeah... Polymorphic atrial tachy..
I am losing sleep over these media questions... many friends have told me they got f***ed by em in the real deal coz the heart sounds software is totally different on the real deal and in UW.. also UW has no/very few ECGs and none are 12 leads..

Damn it... :-(
yeah... Polymorphic atrial tachy..
I am losing sleep over these media questions... many friends have told me they got f***ed by em in the real deal coz the heart sounds software is totally different on the real deal and in UW.. also UW has no/very few ECGs and none are 12 leads..
I think it's all about the practice. The more you practice ECGs and Heart sounds thee easier they become.
So, spend few minutes every weekend doing these and you will ace them.

I only had 2 on my test. I guess I'm not allowed to outright say what they were, but they were both pretty easy.

Same. Like think of two EKGs off of the top of your head & the first two that would come to mind were what I had.

I would like to add one more thing to the discussion:

As have been mentioned arrythmias due to channelopathies (hereditary QT-syndromes) and abnormal conduction systems (WPW) can cause SCD. An important cause of arrythmia-caused SCD especially in young athletes that can be relevant for the boards is Brugada syndrome. It was one of the new additions to FA this year so therefore its likely to appear on the real thing.

If you see a RBBB with ST-elevation on lead v1-v2 (the ST-segment normally is depressed on v1-v2 in RBBB) = Brugada syndrome.

Brugada: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Ui34BK2Fx...DMf_fPQ/s1600/Fig-1-Brugada-(8-7.44-2012).jpg

RBBB: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_A8JQOadS528/TQu3hZOc5gI/AAAAAAAAAAk/rzc8wnmyXjs/s1600/ECG+Interpretation+Review+-+3+-+BBB%2C+ST-T+wave+changes.jpg

They are not going to ask you a question about RBBB/LBBB, fasicular block, Brugada, etc.
The absolute hardest thing would probably be something like anterior wall MI (ST elevations in V2-V4) and knowing it is an L.A.D. occlusion.
That is about as hard as it will get for straight ECG reading on USMLE Step 1.

That isn't to say they will not include ECGs in questions, just that they will be easy to spot the abnormality or the ECG will be normal/be irrelevant/not essential to answering the question.
I agree

Sinus Bradycardia.
If you count form R to R there are six big squares, so the heart rate is ~40

@Transposony you've crushed step 2 I think. Step 2 has proper EKGs, for step 1 honestly just those two pages in FA is it. super straightforward especially if you know what your looking at.