Let's play a game: Where will I be accepted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Who will accept me?

• Duke

Votes: 50 37.6%
  • Emory

Votes: 74 55.6%
  • Harvard

Votes: 43 32.3%
  • Johns Hopkins

Votes: 41 30.8%
  • Medical College of Georgia

Votes: 79 59.4%
  • UNC

Votes: 49 36.8%
  • Vanderbilt

Votes: 65 48.9%
  • Wake Forest

Votes: 71 53.4%
  • WashU

Votes: 55 41.4%
  • Yale

Votes: 46 34.6%

• Total voters

willthatsall

Unretired
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is an idea we were talking about on a different thread about acceptance predictions, and hopefully it should provide some entertainment. Just vote for the places you think I'll be accepted (you can vote for more than one).

Members don't see this ad.

willthatsall said:
This is an idea we were talking about on a different thread about acceptance predictions, and hopefully it should provide some entertainment. Just vote for the places you think I'll be accepted (you can vote for more than one).

ur stats are amazing.

The only thing that's going to keep you out of some of the top schools is your lack of research. That's why I didn't vote for Hopkins or WashU. And I didn't vote for UNC just because you're out of state (even though you have an excellent chance there).

Gosh, it's too hard with you! I could have voted for all of them and felt comfortable with that.

I think I'll start my own (sorry for being a copycat) so people can vote on somebody with more mediocre stats :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Will,

Just a question, but how come you did not consider applying to the number 9 ranked, U Michigan??? I am just asking, cuz it seems with your stats you would have gotten an auto invite for an interview.

Will, it seems like our game is working out fairly well. Except the fact that people think you will get in mostly everywhere.

okayplayer said:
How many threads need to be devoted to just this guy? Congratulations, you have great stats, etc., but jesus, get over yourself please.

Will's a nice guy and doesn't mean to brag. I guess the point is that no matter how good your stats, you're still going to be nervous about getting in. And besides, this poll sort of derived from my thread about predicting where we'll get in. It would be neat to compare the results of these polls to our actual acceptances at the end of the cycle.

some of y'all read down the list of threads and come vote in my poll of semi-mediocrity!

I think you have a great shot at all of them. :D

not to sound like a troll, but i can understand where the previous negative poster was coming from. nothing personal will, from what i can tell from your posts you seem like a nice guy. however, there are those of us who come to sdn with less than stellar stats but high hopes to get an MD degree from anywhere, period. it kind of stings to have someone post a thread dedicated to determining which top ranked schools will invariably accept him.

i'm not saying that it was wrong for you to post your stats or to make a thread like this, but just trying to explain another viewpoint.

I didn't vote for many of the top schools (except WashU - they just love a high MCAT), because you don't have research. They're research-oriented schools who want students who will do research and bring grant money and recognition to the school.

jintonic5 said:
not to sound like a troll, but i can understand where the previous negative poster was coming from. nothing personal will, from what i can tell from your posts you seem like a nice guy. however, there are those of us who come to sdn with less than stellar stats but high hopes to get an MD degree from anywhere, period. it kind of stings to have someone post a thread dedicated to determining which top ranked schools will invariably accept him.

i'm not saying that it was wrong for you to post your stats or to make a thread like this, but just trying to explain another viewpoint.

Well said, I completely agree.

Members don't see this ad :)
tigress said:
The only thing that's going to keep you out of some of the top schools is your lack of research. That's why I didn't vote for Hopkins or WashU. And I didn't vote for UNC just because you're out of state (even though you have an excellent chance there).

Gosh, it's too hard with you! I could have voted for all of them and felt comfortable with that.

I think I'll start my own (sorry for being a copycat) so people can vote on somebody with more mediocre stats :p

that's not necessarily true; I was accepted to Hopkins with no solid research and his stats are better than mine.

I voted for all of them but I think it really depends on who sees your pinup. :p

jintonic5 said:

i agree with you which is why i never posted my mdapplicants, nor ever announced where i was accepted and my stats weren't nearly as good as will's.

I have to agree here, I'm an occassional poster and have noticed that your threads have a similar theme:

1. I would retake with a 35.
2. Should I send in a photo with my shirt off?
3. Which top ten school would dare reject me (the way this one comes off to the casual reader).

I don't want to start any kind of back and forth. I'm just saying that sometimes, it's best to keep a low profile (yes, I realize the irony in me posting this message rather than maintaining the position I'm pushing).

Truth be told, you will likely be accepted by each of the schools to which you apply, congratulations. I would just be wary in posting such bragadocious (anyone have a spelling on that one?) messages, when it would be quite easy for adcoms members to figure out who you are.

My two cents, for what it's worth (maybe nothing).

Good luck,

Adam

willthatsall said:

I don't think you listed the NBA on the poll!!
With the stats you have I'm sure you could do all of the above and be pretty accurate.
Congrats on a great undergrad performance and good luck to you.

I'd say don't brag but I have crappy stats (really crappy stats) and I like to brag. But I just mainly brag to my dog and he just tilts his head, pricks his ear and goes.. "oohohhohhgrowl". No wait, that's cuz he wants my food...

aamartin81 said:
I have to agree here, I'm an occassional poster and have noticed that your threads have a similar theme:

1. I would retake with a 35.
2. Should I send in a photo with my shirt off?
3. Which top ten school would dare reject me (the way this one comes off to the casual reader).

I don't want to start any kind of back and forth. I'm just saying that sometimes, it's best to keep a low profile (yes, I realize the irony in me posting this message rather than maintaining the position I'm pushing).

Truth be told, you will likely be accepted by each of the schools to which you apply, congratulations. I would just be wary in posting such bragadocious (anyone have a spelling on that one?) messages, when it would be quite easy for adcoms members to figure out who you are.

My two cents, for what it's worth (maybe nothing).

Good luck,

Adam

agreed, and whereas i know i never kept a low profile here, but my posting was never to brag or announce my stats or accomplishments

nice stats....but i would shake you out your gym socks kid and then proceed to give you a shawn bradley style crotch in face facial. Here's what it would look like:

Attachments

• kobe_howard.jpg
    kobe_howard.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 167
You guys are taking this way too hard.

First off the Shirtless pic thread was one of the funnier jokes of the year.

Secondly, why doesn't everyone who has average stats get reamed since they are the most frequent offenders of the what are my chances threads?

BrettBatchelor said:

Secondly, why doesn't everyone who has average stats get reamed since they are the most frequent offenders of the what are my chances threads?
i agree the shirtless thread was a funny thread and obviously a joke.

the medicre and poorer stat posters are genuinely concerned and are not posting to brag about their stats but rather they are insecure and desperate. this is not the same thing.

dude's got solid stats...he's prolly gonna get in everywhere. i applaude his achievement and dedication. but on the same hand, its kinda unnecessary.

BrettBatchelor said:
If he really wanted to brag he could have posed the question "Where will I be rejected?"
it sort of means the same thing, especially when you can vote for as many as y0u want.

BrettBatchelor said:

i think there's a difference between the "what are my chances threads" for those who are seriously concerned they might be one of the ~50% who don't get a spot in any medical school, and a "what are my chances thread" for someone who is much less likely to fall in this category. and people who post wat are my chances threads DO get reamed all the time-- people could choose to just ignore their post, but often veteran sdner's pounce on these people as if they've committed a moral sin.

ps- i agree the shirtless pic thread was AWESOME

This is my number one complaint here... too many people who think they are hot stuff and flaunt their numbers...

Look at me! I got a great MCAT! Look at me! I got a 4.0! Look at me! I play basketball! Look at me! I have no humility!

About what are my chances threads, if you read someone elses with mediocre stats the same as yours, you are going to have the same chances. 9/10 what are my chances threads have relatively the same stats.

I voted everywhere.

good luck man!

BrettBatchelor said:
About what are my chances threads, if you read someone elses with mediocre stats the same as yours, you are going to have the same chances. 9/10 what are my chances threads have relatively the same stats.
sometimes but they didn't all apply to the same schools

Whoa there. You guys take things too seriously. It sucks to be you guys who so think that just because someone puts up their profile or asks a playful question, that means they are trying to brag.

In regards to the shirtless photo post, it was refreshing and fun. I'm glad that thread was posted because it lightened up the mood on an otherwise way too serious board. We need more fun posts every now and then that are not just peole being wayyyyyyyyyyy tooooooooo serious tooooooooooo much.

Will has stated before that he was wary about putting his profile up and not trying to brag. He just felt that he should because others put theirs up and he felt it was only fair that if others wanted to see his stuff, then they should be allowed to because he'd looked at others information.

I doubt he's trying to brag in any way.

You guys are wayyyyyyyyyy tooooooo sensitive. Be happy for others success and do what you need to do bring about your own success. Stop acting like you are so insecure because others did well. Be happy for them and do what you need to do for yourself. And let it be.

gujuDoc said:
Whoa there. You guys take things too seriously. It sucks to be you guys who so think that just because someone puts up their profile or asks a playful question, that means they are trying to brag.

In regards to the shirtless photo post, it was refreshing and fun. I'm glad that thread was posted because it lightened up the mood on an otherwise way too serious board. We need more fun posts every now and then that are not just peole being wayyyyyyyyyyy tooooooooo serious tooooooooooo much.

Will has stated before that he was wary about putting his profile up and not trying to brag. He just felt that he should because others put theirs up and he felt it was only fair that if others wanted to see his stuff, then they should be allowed to because he'd looked at others information.

I doubt he's trying to brag in any way.

You guys are wayyyyyyyyyy tooooooo sensitive. Be happy for others success and do what you need to do bring about your own success. Stop acting like you are so insecure because others did well. Be happy for them and do what you need to do for yourself. And let it be.

No one is really questioning the shirtless thread and I think everyone agrees it was hilarious.

For people to post near perfect stats and make a thread about it is only doing it to brag. Again, I didn't have nearly as good stats and i refrained from posting mine b/c it was really unnecessary.

jintonic5 said:

Dude chill out. It is fun to see how others did and to see others profiles. I enjoy seeing where others got in and what their stats were like. Be happy for them rather then acting so jealous. And then do what you need to do for yourself to make your own way to where you want to be. That's all that there really is to it.

BrettBatchelor said:

you're right, and i'm saying that more often than not, they will get at least one hostile message posted. i don't think that will's poll is any better/worse than one of htose threads, but his invariably stands out because it's a poll.

bleh, i'm beginning to think this is a rather silly argument.

I am completely in agreement that the threads are over done.
However, Will and I were contemplating spins on them and he just happened to have good stats and was the first one to put it up.

jintonic5 said:
you're right, and i'm saying that more often than not, they will get at least one hostile message posted. i don't think that will's poll is any better/worse than one of htose threads, but his invariably stands out because it's a poll.

bleh, i'm beginning to think this is a rather silly argument.
you're avatar is awesome even though i'd replace it with a Yankee's emblem :D

gujuDoc said:
Dude chill out. It is fun to see how others did and to see others profiles. I enjoy seeing where others got in and what their stats were like. Be happy for them rather then acting so jealous. And then do what you need to do for yourself to make your own way to where you want to be. That's all that there really is to it.

i have no ill feelings for will or anyone else who has excellent stats. they worked hard for their success, and i in no way hold it against them. Am i jealous? of course, i would be a liar if i said that i wasn't; i know i didn't work as hard, and that's on me. but i wasn't speaking from jealousy-- i just wanted to point out a perspective that some previous posters to this thread expressed.

Psycho Doctor said:
you're avatar is awesome even though i'd replace it with a Yankee's emblem :D

dude, if i knew you in person, i'd stop talking to you :p

nyy is definitely giving boston a run for it's money in the al east tho, i'll give'em that!

Psycho Doctor said:
No one is really questioning the shirtless thread and I think everyone agrees it was hilarious.

For people to post near perfect stats and make a thread about it is only doing it to brag. Again, I didn't have nearly as good stats and i refrained from posting mine b/c it was really unnecessary.

Dude chill out. People who post their stats are not just doing it to brag. even people with good stats stress out. Why do people think that people with not so good stats are the only one's that stress???

Everyone looks at those profiles. No one sees it as a bragging tool. Its just a way to inform others who might be curious. If you really think its bragging when people put in their profiles, don't look at any of them. Some of us like to know how others fair out in the process. It can be real interesting to see how others fair out and their different impressions of the process and of different schools, what they would do differently, what they did to make their application stronger, etc. etc. etc. That helps other people get a future idea of what they could do to better their application etc. it lets people see what different profiles of different accepted students were to give them a good idea of things.

Also, I'd rather see the profiles linked in the sig, then search for it, because some of the profiles on md apps are bogus and lies. So at least if it is linked in the sig, you know they are being honest and not just people putting random bullsh1t on there.

That's my 2 cents.

jintonic5 said:
dude, if i knew you in person, i'd stop talking to you :p

nyy is definitely giving boston a run for it's money in the al east tho, i'll give'em that!
hey some of my best friends are Red Sox fans, i just excuse their opinion regarding baseball. :rolleyes:

and besides i'm really a Braves fan but i did attenfd school in NY for 4 years, plus my gf is a New Yorker. :p

gujuDoc said:
Dude chill out. People who post their stats are not just doing it to brag. even people with good stats stress out. Why do people think that people with not so good stats are the only one's that stress???

Everyone looks at those profiles. No one sees it as a bragging tool. Its just a way to inform others who might be curious. If you really think its bragging when people put in their profiles, don't look at any of them. Some of us like to know how others fair out in the process. It can be real interesting to see how others fair out and their different impressions of the process and of different schools, what they would do differently, what they did to make their application stronger, etc. etc. etc. That helps other people get a future idea of what they could do to better their application etc. it lets people see what different profiles of different accepted students were to give them a good idea of things.

Also, I'd rather see the profiles linked in the sig, then search for it, because some of the profiles on md apps are bogus and lies. So at least if it is linked in the sig, you know they are being honest and not just people putting random bullsh1t on there.

That's my 2 cents.

i never understood why the heck anyone would lie on mdapps... what the heck is the point in that? it's not like you get to post a (photoshopped) picture of yourself with your name :rolleyes:

gujuDoc said:

That's my 2 cents.
there's no point discussing this with you; it's obvious you have the hots for Will :p so let's stop there.

and i'm not doubting Will one bit but I'd more question people's links than those that are anonymous. what's the point of an anonymous bogus profile??? :confused:

Psycho Doctor said:
hey some of my best friends are Red Sox fans, i just excuse their opinion regarding baseball. :rolleyes:

and besides i'm really a Braves fan but i did attenfd school in NY for 4 years, plus my gf is a New Yorker. :p

duuude, so why the yankees?? that's what the mets are for!

jintonic5 said:
i never understood why the heck anyone would lie on mdapps... what the heck is the point in that? it's not like you get to post a (photoshopped) picture of yourself with your name :rolleyes:

I don't understand it either. Yet IT DOES HAPPEN ALL THE TIME!!!!!!! Believe it or not, there are trolls out there who like to stir trouble by creating false accounts with MDapps just for the sake of creating accounts and writing bull $hit in there that is false.

Which is why I like to see people's profiles linked to their signature. It makes it easier to get to know information about different applicants. Especially people either A. Needing advice or B. When you want to see how someone faired out in the process and see what kind of things they did to bring them success etc.

On a side note.... While research is most likely better for a research ranked school, often times there are people who do have great stats and other things besides research that gets them in the top schools. Harvard, for instance, has a separate research program (HST) for people interested in academic medicine, then they do for people involved in Clinical medicine (New pathway). So perhaps, in Will's case, he'll get into a program like NP, but obviously not into HST.

That said, its better to do research, if you are going to a research ranked top 10 school for Ovious reasons.

jintonic5 said:
true, and not even a shirtless one in an 8 x 10 :p

Psycho Doctor said:

Well....

My preference is for people to be either completely open with their stats (like Will is being), because they don't feel it's an issue, or keep them completely private because they do think there is an issue. I'd rather that then someone act like they're going to be very private and then refer to them all the time :p

gujuDoc said:
I don't understand it either. Yet IT DOES HAPPEN ALL THE TIME!!!!!!! Believe it or not, there are trolls out there who like to stir trouble by creating false accounts with MDapps just for the sake of creating accounts and writing bull $hit in there that is false.

Which is why I like to see people's profiles linked to their signature. It makes it easier to get to know information about different applicants. Especially people either A. Needing advice or B. When you want to see how someone faired out in the process and see what kind of things they did to bring them success etc.

On a side note.... While research is most likely better for a research ranked school, often times there are people who do have great stats and other things besides research that gets them in the top schools. Harvard, for instance, has a separate research program (HST) for people interested in academic medicine, then they do for people involved in Clinical medicine (New pathway). So perhaps, in Will's case, he'll get into a program like NP, but obviously not into HST.

That said, its better to do research, if you are going to a research ranked top 10 school for Ovious reasons.

so where's your profile linked to your name??? :confused:

MoosePilot said:
Well....

My preference is for people to be either completely open with their stats (like Will is being), because they don't feel it's an issue, or keep them completely private because they do think there is an issue. I'd rather that then someone act like they're going to be very private and then refer to them all the time :p
if that is an attempt at an attack on me, i have never referenced my mdapplicant profile

and honesty and openness is one thing, bragging about it is a totally different thing