amar314

Jun 17, 2013
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Podiatry
Hi everybody. So if you look through my postings on here you'll ask yourself if I'm really that indecisive...I am. I've had a hard time picking a career because nothing seems to fit perfectly. Right now I'm set to take the MCAT next month and apply for Podiatry School. I've been shadowing and I like it but I don't love it and for the amount of schooling (7 years) I'm unsure if it's worth it. I don't want my whole life being about work and eventually only want to work 3-4 days a week.

So I'm taking a look at dentistry. I'm slightly worried- is there saturation? Do I HAVE to open a private practice? Would I need to money wise? Is it worth the above average debt (in comparison to other professional schools)?

But also...can I get in? I graduated with a 3.42 overall and I think a 3.2 science (my transcript says 3.0 but it doesn't include research or this life science biology elective). Lots of volunteering and leadership there, will be published co-author with lots of research experience (scholarship to do 1 year research project, several conferences). I've shadowed dentists (probably near 100 hours) and it's something I could definitely see myself doing!

My biggest question & concern- should I do a post bacc to help my GPA? I'm in Florida and would not want to be out of state.

Thank you!

Faefly

2+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Don't you need to love something to be in it!
or is it just the white coat?

Reactions: 1 user

FanOfCostco

7+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
But also...can I get in? I graduated with a 3.42 overall and I think a 3.2 science (my transcript says 3.0 but it doesn't include research or this life science biology elective). Lots of volunteering and leadership there, will be published co-author with lots of research experience (scholarship to do 1 year research project, several conferences). I've shadowed dentists (probably near 100 hours) and it's something I could definitely see myself doing!

How come your GPA is different on your transcript? Are you currently taking a class and doing research??

About the Ads

amar314

Jun 17, 2013
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Podiatry
How come your GPA is different on your transcript? Are you currently taking a class and doing research??
Now I took those and am graduated. My BCPM is in my transcript online but they don't count research courses in their BCPM apparently which has nothing to do with professional schools and how they count them

amar314

Jun 17, 2013
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Podiatry
Don't you need to love something to be in it!
or is it just the white coat?
I'm trying to find something I love! I'm coming to the conclusion that I won't ever love a career more than I love my time with family and myself. We're all trying to "help people" but idk if we'd help more with less sacrifice on our own well being.

allantois

Conversation Starter
7+ Year Member
Jan 28, 2013
Status (Visible)
  1. Other Health Professions Student
It doesn't matter what the GPA on your transcript is. You should research how different application services calculate science GPA (e.g. some count math, some don't) and that will give you an idea of what you are competitive for.

No, I don't think that dentistry is a good 3-4 day job. If you are going to go into it, I'd expect to work many hours and aim at establishing your own practice due to increasing loan burden of schooling. It's also not a great career if you are only willing to stay in FL for school, as there are only 3 dental schools in the state.

amar314

Jun 17, 2013
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Podiatry
It doesn't matter what the GPA on your transcript is. You should research how different application services calculate science GPA (e.g. some count math, some don't) and that will give you an idea of what you are competitive for.

No, I don't think that dentistry is a good 3-4 day job. If you are going to go into it, I'd expect to work many hours and aim at establishing your own practice due to increasing loan burden of schooling. It's also not a great career if you are only willing to stay in FL for school, as there are only 3 dental schools in the state.

Thanks for your input! Would you say NP is something that would be a good fit for me? In terms of the work life balance I'm looking for

allantois

Conversation Starter
7+ Year Member
Jan 28, 2013
Status (Visible)
Thanks for your input! Would you say NP is something that would be a good fit for me? In terms of the work life balance I'm looking for

I think nursing is a great career. Hospital nurses work three 12 hour shifts a week. You can also become an NP cheaply.

Incis0r

I LOVE Dental School
5+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2014
Alterac Valley
is there saturation?

In some places, yes.

Do I HAVE to open a private practice?

Nope. I don't plan to.

Would I need to money wise?

Depends on your income expectations/need.

Is it worth the above average debt (in comparison to other professional schools)?

Really personal question with an answer that is different for everyone.

My biggest question & concern- should I do a post bacc to help my GPA? I'm in Florida and would not want to be out of state.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to work on the GPA. Also take the DAT and see how you do on that.

L

Lamboboss1

the tuition and debt for dentistry is a lot especially for a private school. Podiatry is not as saturated as dentistry and is more rewarding in my opinion. the salary has a upward trend and as more people get older and have diabetes there will be a greater demand for podiatrists.

amariesa

7+ Year Member
Oct 2, 2013
the tuition and debt for dentistry is a lot especially for a private school. Podiatry is not as saturated as dentistry and is more rewarding in my opinion. the salary has a upward trend and as more people get older and have diabetes there will be a greater demand for podiatrists.

The debt for this coming generation of NYU students will reach 600k. If you dont feel it, dont do it. Its NOT worth it.

L

Lamboboss1

The debt for this coming generation of NYU students will reach 600k. If you dont feel it, dont do it. Its NOT worth it.
why is the tuition for dental school really expensive compared to podiatry? i think NYU is 90k per year while podiatry at temple is around 45k.

allantois

Conversation Starter
7+ Year Member
Jan 28, 2013
Status (Visible)
why is the tuition for dental school really expensive compared to podiatry? i think NYU is 90k per year while podiatry at temple is around 45k.

Because US News lists dentistry as #1 profession in America!

Namelessking

2+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Hi everybody. So if you look through my postings on here you'll ask yourself if I'm really that indecisive...I am. I've had a hard time picking a career because nothing seems to fit perfectly. Right now I'm set to take the MCAT next month and apply for Podiatry School. I've been shadowing and I like it but I don't love it and for the amount of schooling (7 years) I'm unsure if it's worth it. I don't want my whole life being about work and eventually only want to work 3-4 days a week.

So I'm taking a look at dentistry. I'm slightly worried- is there saturation? Do I HAVE to open a private practice? Would I need to money wise? Is it worth the above average debt (in comparison to other professional schools)?

Thank you!

Just some points that may/may not influence your decision:

1. Medical school is way, way cheaper than dental school
2. 7 years will be worth it with the job security you'll have. And news flash, you'll still be young and making far more than your peers (probably)
3. Most people don't go into work smiling (outside of liberal arts professors, not even mocking them, I vehemently wish I could go down that route but for obvious saturation reasons I won't)
4. Yes there is saturation in dentistry in areas like California and New York. In contrast, there are also high need areas that are desperate for dentists and will gladly shell out more money for their services
5. The debt level all depends on you and whether you can handle living like a lower middle-class to middle class existence. In my case I had to stare down a 450k debt which I ended up declining. If you have help from family it could definitely be worth it. Don't go through that stress for yourself; don't apply to schools that are 400+ grand
6. Dentistry isn't as glamorous as you may think. Patients will hate you (some of them), you have to deal with the ever-present threat of bogus malpractice claims, nervous patients, etc.
7. Honestly, I will be honest and say that with a 3.42 gpa and 3.2 science, it will be an uphill battle for you. Not sure about the post bacc option since I don't know enough about it But.....if you go Clubber Lang on your DAT (22+) then you can definitely get some interviews, especially since you seem to have good volunteering already in.

L

Lamboboss1

Does the dental school you go to impact your salary and job opportunities? for example a dentist graduating from NYU compared to a dentist graduating from a public school like stony brook or buffalo?

Namelessking

2+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Does the dental school you go to impact your salary and job opportunities? for example a dentist graduating from NYU compared to a dentist graduating from a public school like stony brook or buffalo?

If you go to NYU you will likely be in debt for a longer period of time, effectively truncating the salary you get to have fun with. And the saddest part is that without the murderous 7% interest rates, NYU would actually be affordable. Some countries pay their students to go to dental schools. Ours gives us bloated tuitions and murderous interest rates to top it off. Go figure. But I digress, barring tuition costs, you will come out a competent dentist from either Stony, Buffalo, or NYU. I've heard many say that they pick up most of their knowledge on the job in terms of speeding up procedures.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.