let's talk about AECOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jamorama

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you like and what do you don't like?

I like their programs in global medicine, how they really care about their students and their curriculum (early patient contact, organ based, two classes at a time, one exam per month). Housing is awesome and location is not shabby.

I didn't like their facilities...they were old. I also am not quite sure about the name...telling people you graduated from yeshiva just doesn't make as great of an impression? i don't know maybe i'm being paranoid because AECOM is pretty well respected esp since they started the first student run clinic in new york

Members don't see this ad.

They're my only interview in NYC so far, so I'm pretty thrilled for it.

I must admit I have A LOT of research to do on it before my interview.

You can always say you graduated from Albert Einstein?

Does anyone know if there are any new developments in the whole, "my AECOM interviewer insulted my religion" fiasco that occurred last week?

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you like and what do you don't like?

I like their programs in global medicine, how they really care about their students and their curriculum (early patient contact, organ based, two classes at a time, one exam per month). Housing is awesome and location is not shabby.

I didn't like their facilities...they were old. I also am not quite sure about the name...telling people you graduated from yeshiva just doesn't make as great of an impression? i don't know maybe i'm being paranoid because AECOM is pretty well respected esp since they started the first student run clinic in new york

I wasn't fond of their facilities or location, and didn't really feel that I knew that much more about the school after my interview than before it. They didn't even give out any financial aid info, so I still don't know how much it would cost to go there.

The positives are cheap housing, easy access to a gym, relatively short class time, and good research and clinical opportunities. I think AECOM doesn't market itself very well. There's no reason why they couldn't be as good as other NY schools just b/c of a poor location. There's lots of med schools in much worse locations than AECOM, and they have tons of NIH funding and a very diverse patient population. It just seems that people that visit don't get that excited because you don't really find out that much about the school.

I wouldn't worry about the whole Yeshiva thing. Most people don't even know what Yeshiva University is, but if they're in the medical field they've certainly heard about AECOM.

yeah, i must say that the "yeshiva" thing is a turn off. still, i really liked aecom. they sent me to interview at the montefiore hospital which was about 20 minutes away from the main campus. it was not bad... plus, they hooked me up with a totally awesome interviewer with the same interests as me, so i started off with a good impression of the school.

their interview lunch, however, was one of the worst meals i have ever eaten in my entire life. but then again you can always go to manhattan to eat :)

I wasn't fond of their facilities or location, and didn't really feel that I knew that much more about the school after my interview than before it. They didn't even give out any financial aid info, so I still don't know how much it would cost to go there.

I'm interviewing there in December and I appreciate everyone's advance impressions. One note (though it's too late for you at this point) is that they do offer a meeting with a financial aid rep in the interview invite email. Based on what you said, Drizzt, I think I may set something up beforehand.

yeah, i must say that the "yeshiva" thing is a turn off.

Why? As long as you can say it correctly, I don't see the big deal about the undergrad that the med school is affiliated with.

I wasn't too impressed with the food either. I was hoping it was a freak occurrence, but I guess I could always cook in my apartment too.

I didn't like that the tour guides didn't show us much of the school. I mean, they showed the lecture hall that we sat in, the library, and then the cafeteria and apartments. At other schools, we've been shown a ton of stuff, including different lecture halls, small group study rooms, the anatomy lab...

I did like how personable the people seemed. We had a guy come and sit down to talk with us about the school while we waited for the lecture to start, and then he lead us down there. The first years were all really excited about the lecture, which makes it seem like they're really happy there.

why does the food matter? most people cook on their own....

the students at einstein match very very well....its just that everything is so run down...it sort of affects my mood. and the yeshiva thing shouldn't matter.....but we're all sort of conditioned to care about what school we go to/come from.

i think it'll come down to finances..

I interviewed there.

Pros: Really strong eduction, well respected, good research funding and new building opening up, students seemed very happy with it, great training in last two years because of urban setting, really good housing that is very cheap especially for NYC, 30-45 min from Manhattan.

cons: buildings seem old, not in Manhattan but in Bronx, tour for interviewees isn't as good of a sell as other schools.

I interviewed there.

Pros: Really strong eduction, well respected, good research funding and new building opening up, students seemed very happy with it, great training in last two years because of urban setting, really good housing that is very cheap especially for NYC, 30-45 min from Manhattan.

cons: buildings seem old, not in Manhattan but in Bronx, tour for interviewees isn't as good of a sell as other schools.

I just interviewed there and I agree with your assesment. I really like there clinical setup, and especially that you do not have to go to many different hospitals throughout the state like Drexel or other schools have you do. All the students I met were really easy going, and it had a laid back atmosphere for such a well regarded school. As far as the old buildings they are not really a concern for me, some of the classes I had at UF were in buildings that had not renovated since the '60s or '70s.

I had really knowledgeable student guides, and they had a completely anti-gunner mentality. Also, in a conversation somehow we went from discussing about residency programs to talking about Family Guy, so it was nice knowing that this school tries to find real people instead of competitive socially awkward robots.

Personally, if accepted, I will definitely go there, if I do not get accepted to some of my state schools. ( I do not want to turn down 20K a year tuition if possible)

yeah for sure...definitely the happiest students i've seen out of all places i've been...which i totally was not expecting......most laid-back too....some interviewees said students were almost too laid-back and never went to class....are lectures taped at einstein?

I don't know about taped, but there are downloadable transcripts available online.

Do you know when decisions will be mailed out? I keep seeing Jan. 15 on this board, but my interviewer and tour guides never brought it up.

Members don't see this ad :)

Don't listen to this. You can get into derm if you go there, as well as any other resideny. They have a lot of people matching in diagnostic radiology which requires a high USMLE. Remember, you do not get to see the people who do a 1 year preliminary or Medicine, then go into derm. Also, you have to consider factors, such as student preferences.

Anyways, it is really bad practice to avoid very well regarded schools, based on something talked about on SDN. Remember, YOU have to do well in the USMLE step 1 to get into your choice residencies.

Yes, I know. Read my replies on that thread. I was kidding.

the lady at the desk said jan as well but that rejection letters can be sent out earlier....

i wish we got to visit at least one of the hospitals....=( montefiore looks beautiful online

:laugh::laugh::laugh: thanks for referencing my thread! I am not sure if that's the case. Having interviewed there, I've seen that students are SO LAID BACK, plus with their strictly P/F system the first two years, and ABSOLUTELY NO CLASS RANK, there seem to be anti-gunner environment. I am not sure if that's the reason students are not pushed into derm?

:confused::confused::confused:

According to the tour guides, lecture attendance is very high even though it isn't mandatory.

that's what they said to me too but some interviewees on my tour who attended lecture said it wasn't very full....i guess its all relative

does anybody know if einstein gives good financial aid? i know they give out a couple of full rides

when do notices of acceptance come out?

i hated it there; of my three nyc interviews it was the worst (best mt sinai, nyu ok-ish). the campus was ugly, the neighborhood was run-down, it's a good 45 minutes away from the upper east side (which is the closest part of manhattan you can get to), the food was really, mind-bogglingly terrible... need i go on??

honestly you can go on all day about research or prestige or whatever, but i think that the atmosphere of the school is so depressing that i would hate it regardless of those things. at the end of the day, i would definately not be able to spend 4 years of my life there.

i hated it there; of my three nyc interviews it was the worst (best mt sinai, nyu ok-ish). the campus was ugly, the neighborhood was run-down, it's a good 45 minutes away from the upper east side (which is the closest part of manhattan you can get to), the food was really, mind-bogglingly terrible... need i go on??

honestly you can go on all day about research or prestige or whatever, but i think that the atmosphere of the school is so depressing that i would hate it regardless of those things. at the end of the day, i would definately not be able to spend 4 years of my life there.

I really hope that you withdrew. There are some of us that really would like a chance at attending. I respect your opinion, but I hope you wouldn't keep your application active if you are so sure you don't want to go there.

ive been complete since august, and still no word from them -- and it actually is one of my top choices... it'd allow me to be closer to my cousin, who attends Yeshiva's law school......

im really hoping i can at least get an interview :(

Yeah, I agree with pandulce, it sounds like you should withdraw.

After a very disturbing interview experience there, I am DEFINITELY withdrawing.

Declined an interview from AECOM. I hope someone who really wants to go there benefits!

Just thought I would add my two cents on AECOM....as this is where I will hopeufully be in a year or so!

Pros: Awesome support for Global Health (which is something I am very interested in), Awesome clinical experience in the Bronx (can't argue with the diversity of the area!), very low cost of living, can go home for lunch....so food is irrelevant!, Removed from Manhattan so I could study and still have fun once a week or so, tests only once every month or so, strictly pass/fail so there is very little competition...

Cons: seem sort of like living in a small bubble with housing right across the street, and if you cared about your facilities they aren't as nice....but personally it really doesn't matter to me where I will be learning, but how I will be learning. On a side note the Anatomy Lab is on the 10th floor or something like that so you can actually look outside and see things rather than being in a basement dungeon...

On another note I have subscription for the US News rankings and the average in-debtness at AECOM for their graduate is 100,000 which is definitely at the lower end of the spectrum so this leads me to believe they have some money to give to their students..but I have no proof to this since I am still awaiting a hopeufl acceptance letter...

Just thought I would add my two cents on AECOM....as this is where I will hopeufully be in a year or so!

Pros: Awesome support for Global Health (which is something I am very interested in), Awesome clinical experience in the Bronx (can't argue with the diversity of the area!), very low cost of living, can go home for lunch....so food is irrelevant!, Removed from Manhattan so I could study and still have fun once a week or so, tests only once every month or so, strictly pass/fail so there is very little competition...

Cons: seem sort of like living in a small bubble with housing right across the street, and if you cared about your facilities they aren't as nice....but personally it really doesn't matter to me where I will be learning, but how I will be learning. On a side note the Anatomy Lab is on the 10th floor or something like that so you can actually look outside and see things rather than being in a basement dungeon...

On another note I have subscription for the US News rankings and the average in-debtness at AECOM for their graduate is 100,000 which is definitely at the lower end of the spectrum so this leads me to believe they have some money to give to their students..but I have no proof to this since I am still awaiting a hopeufl acceptance letter...

they also offer grants for a fifth year of study (if you want to go get an MPH somewhere else or something)

personally, i loved it there, for many of the reasons listed above :)

agree, the neighborhood, and the medical school campus were pretty depressing. there is actually nothing around the school, like clubs, bars, restaurants and stuff, you have to take a bus to get somewhere. And the food sucks too.

I don't think I'd be happy there

AECOM seems like an awesome school. I would be thrilled to go here!

i have an interview on Jan 16th but will be declining it this week. Einstein is an amazing school but I've decided to stay in state. Good luck to everyone:thumbup:

so aecom apparently doesn't give much financial aid.....bummer..big turn off

AECOM is am awesome school. It is my top east coast choice. When do they start giving out decisions for admissions? Is it Jan 15?

i feel like i didnt learn anything at all about the school when i was there. they didnt give a presentation, they didnt even give us a folder with information. i only had one interviewer. he did not teach at the medical school anymore and could not answer many of my questions. i dont think that we saw enough of the school. i saw one lecture hall, the cafeteria, and the apartments and gym. ok so what about the rest of the school? do they have like a library and an anatomy lab or other labs? it's like hey - here's our school. bye. they put the least effort into an interview day that i have seen. by far. i have no idea how i feel about the school. if i get accepted i will need to revisit that is for sure.

When I was there they did take us to the library and the anatomy lab.

I don't know about taped, but there are downloadable transcripts available online.

Do you know when decisions will be mailed out? I keep seeing Jan. 15 on this board, but my interviewer and tour guides never brought it up.

I'm pretty sure they said Jan 15th in the little packet they gave you. Otherwise, I heard it from someone on the admissions committee that talked to us.

According to the tour guides, lecture attendance is very high even though it isn't mandatory.

I attended a lecture, and the hall was almost packed completely. Also, while we were waiting for the lecture to start, one of the guys walking by said we'd love the lecture, and seemed really enthusiastic about it.

The guy that talked to us said that one of the main reasons people turn them down is because they don't get great financial aid packages there. Just saying.

anyone receive a rejection/waitlist letter yet?

I actually had an internship last summer at the hospital right next door to AECOM and had the opportunity to meet with a few AECOM students. Both of them were very nice and had lot of choices and were very happy with their decisions to go to AECOM. Even though it's in the Bronx, which is not always the most upbeat area, it happens to be in a pretty nice part of the Bronx. Also they have nice residential areas for the medical school students. Location would be my only real concern with the school.

I interviewed there and I really liked it. Environment seems great there.

Yeah, I agree with pandulce, it sounds like you should withdraw.

After a very disturbing interview experience there, I am DEFINITELY withdrawing.
What happened at the interview?

ahhhh why must we wait until january!!!!

I was accepted to the MSTP at AECOM last week. From a research perspective, Einstein is really awesome...and pretty serious about expanding, especially into clinical and translational research. Not that it matters to any of you, but their MD/PhD curriculum is really cutting edge; perhaps the best integrated of any school--so from an academic perspective they're also very forward thinking.

Granted MD/PhD students (ironically) tend to seem more laid back than MD students, yet everybody there was perhaps the most chill of any school I've seen...it's a definite plus to go to a school where there's a distinct sense of camaraderie and collaboration. Another perk for me, MSTP students don't have to dissect in anatomy lab; they just go in at night and look at what the MD students cut away that morning :D. Who wants to waste time sawing through fascia when there are experiments and thesis rotations to do!

Bottom line, AECOM is amazing...one of my very favorite programs at which I interviewed (and that includes some of the more traditional heavy hitters to boot).

Pro's: Great school, happy students, a really pretty first year classroom, problem based learning

Con's: There are 1000 creepy pictures of Albert Einstein on every wall of every room and hallway.

congrats with the mstp acceptance. lucky for you that you won't need to worry about finances. unfortunately for us md applicants, they are notorious for giving terrible financial aid....if they gave more financial aid, they would really be able to attract more students and not need to accept so many to fill their class.

congrats with the mstp acceptance. lucky for you that you won't need to worry about finances. unfortunately for us md applicants, they are notorious for giving terrible financial aid....if they gave more financial aid, they would really be able to attract more students and not need to accept so many to fill their class.

Thanks! I don't know how they're doing for money...but I'm sure if they had more they'd probably give more? Seems like more of a systemic problem than one they can just fix willy-nilly...and it's definitely nice not even to have to consider tuition!

I just want an interview here!!!!!!!