let's talk about another subject...electives

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrainyMD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello everybody

i am an international student and i am thinking of doing my electives (which will be on June and July) in USA

i am planning to take one in general surgery and the other in internal medicine

i wanna hear from you guys about your experience and knowledge:
#1 any idea about good IMG-frienly (that provide malpractice insurance) programs to apply for?
#2 what about your individual experience....

i hope this will be an entertaining and useful discussion
thank you very much

i really hope to be an active participant in this great site

Members don't see this ad.

BrainyMD said:
hello everybody

i am an international student and i am thinking of doing my electives (which will be on June and July) in USA

i am planning to take one in general surgery and the other in internal medicine

i wanna hear from you guys about your experience and knowledge:
#1 any idea about good IMG-frienly (that provide malpractice insurance) programs to apply for?
#2 what about your individual experience....

i hope this will be an entertaining and useful discussion
thank you very much

i really hope to be an active participant in this great site

Go here first:

http://www.aamc.org/students/medstudents/electives/start.htm

You can find individual schools, and many questions (such as malpractice coverage) are answered there.

Overall, you have many options if you want to pursue this. It all depends on what school you are from and where you want to go. A lot of U.S. medical schools offer visiting electives. Many, however, restrict the amount of time you can spend there. Still, this is a great idea if you are really interested in getting a U.S. residency. Many PDs look specifically for U.S. clerkship experience when determining who to take into their program.

Good luck!

-Skip

i will skip introductions and say thank you

i already know about this compendium but was asking about personal experience with the programs and what are the top programs that i should consider at the top of the list

thank you any way....

Members don't see this ad :)
BrainyMD said:
i will skip introductions and say thank you

i already know about this compendium but was asking about personal experience with the programs and what are the top programs that i should consider at the top of the list

thank you any way....

Okay, as far as #2 goes then, I did a rotation at Mt. Sinai School of Medicine in New York that was excellent. You have to give them about six months lead-in time. Insurance was covered by my school. But, they are very friendly to foreign-visiting students, and it is an excellent hospital to rotate at.

-Skip

there are some students from our school who went to Mount Sinai hospital

and i will contact them for sure

thank you for your reply
:)