Let's talk about applying to pain this year...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Calilove

"Louisianimal"
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For all of us applying to pain...
It seems like this thread is really slow to get some discussion going, so I'll start it off. I want to apply to about 6 or 7 programs, but have NO IDEA about how to guage my competitiveness. Is this too many or too few? I was told to only apply to as many programs as you could attend the interviews. With my programs work schedule, I could probably just go to about 3 or 4 interviews unless I take time from my vacation. Which may happen if I have to go on 6... If I even get 6.
I was told to apply early, but alot of programs aren't even accepting applications until August. It almost seems like some secret society stuff, where noone really knows what the chairs look for in applicants, they just choose you.
Also, what are these programs going to do with my medical school transcripts? I can understand for residency, but not for fellowships. Some wanted notarized copies sent straight from the university.
Do programs focus moreso on intraining exam scores or USMLEs? Some programs didn't want my USMLE scores, but only wanted ITEs.
Also, I read the other threads describing views on different programs, but no new discussions in like a year. Let's talk about applying to pain this year...

Members don't see this ad.

We'd be happy to help you judge your competitivness if we knew something about you.