Let's talk about money

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caninus

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you are owing $200.000 buy the time you get your US degree and license, are you going to be able to be returning that money? I did some math and came to conclusion that I will be paying back around $1500 a month for the next 25 years (based on average interest rate on private loans - Sallie Mae, Cityassist, IEFA...). In other words, how much a fresh - out -of - school dentist can expect to make in US?
:scared:

Members don't see this ad.

I think the starting salary ranges anywhere from $80,000 to $95,000.
Keep in mind that the salary may vary depending on whether you need H-1 and eventually GC from your employer.
If you are a permanent resident then you can buy a practise and definitely make 6 figures annually.

It still is a hard question whether it is worth it and i keep asking myself this.......

Hi,
Although I am sure one has positive ROI (Return on Investment), I would like to know how much it would be. Especially is it worth the $200K + enormous effort + Job related stress. Anyone there who could throw some light on what salary levels exist for Dentists with different years of experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't have to pay taxes on the interest of student loans. Moreover I don't think all schools require $200K investment. For example Loma Linda costs around $80K including instruments and some text books + wonderful clinical experience. $80K investment is comparable to a good MBA investment where the salaries are probably 30% less than a dentist. Do your math; I think it has good ROI and most dentists pay off their loans in their first 6 years !!!

-r

I agree with Raji that Loma Linda has $ 80 K. But almost all the top schools have higher fee ( 120 +) plus all the expenses and then the extra set up costs. It is beleived that on an average it costs b/w 160 to 200 K. I am not at all questioning the +ve ROI but how positive?. Also would the Foreign Trained Dentists be demanding the same salaries as the 4 years. Is there any doc. that talks of the salary levels b/w different categories of dentists?. I have no doubt that ours is a great and rewarding profession. But How far ??!!

Browse www.salary.com stats. I think it?s helpful!

-r
-----------------------------
Class of '04
Loma Linda SOD

hey!

y u ppl forgetting the living expenses!!! it makes it 80 k + 30k or may b more or less!

man this loan thing is becuming more and more complicated!

does any one how much financial aid can we get?

ubd

Their are many schools with very reasonable tuition rates out there. Just because a school is private and expensive doesn't mean it's better than a public program. I will be attending the Medical college of Georgia this Fall; tuition and fees are about $10,000/year and the class still ranks consistently in the top 10 schools for the national boards. I'll be coming out of school with only around $30,000 in loans and a pretty fair education. Besides, your patients don't care where you went to school or what kind of grades you made.

If you are owing $200.000 buy the time you get your US degree and license, are you going to be able to be returning that money? I did some math and came to conclusion that I will be paying back around $1500 a month for the next 25 years (based on average interest rate on private loans - Sallie Mae, Cityassist, IEFA...). In other words, how much a fresh - out -of - school dentist can expect to make in US?

well i think someone who has done Adv. Standing should really reply the query here. May be someone has a freind , relative who is already working and is paying off loans would be the best person to ask...

definilty it will help us ,who are waiting to decide wether is it the way to go?:)

You have to make sure that you pick the right school. Higher tuition doesn't make a better program or vice versa. Folks graduated from LLU I know have an average debt of 55-60K and all of them are employed making 100K+

-r
-----------------------------
Class of '04
Loma Linda SOD