Lets talk music

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

s42brown

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was in the OR the other day getting ready to start a case. My staff walks in and plugs in his iPod. Now everyone in the room knows that his music choice isn't exactly current. About half way through an inguinal hernia repair the wedding song comes on, yes the wedding song don don da don. The scrub tech says "is this seriously the wedding song", and he replies "its serious business".Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. There has to be other stories of horrible OR tunes, please share. Good luck topping this one.:laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

During residency, one of the hospital's Gas men would frequently play his 70's list which included "The Hustle" :barf:

One of my attendings liked country music. No suprise there, Oklahoma boy, wore cowboy boots etc.

Except that it was country music and he only had 1 CD.

And he was a very indecisive surgical oncologist. The 10th level of hell surely must be listening to 12 hours of George Jones on replay.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lets see: Lionel Ritchie, Celine Dion, Michael Bolton, Flasdance soundtrack Seriously google "manhunt", Abba, Michael Jackson, Britney Spears, Backstreet Boys, Cher and others.

I work with the same guy three days a week in the OR. I have lame ipod PTSD.

I assisted my partner on a case a few months back and the OR staff rejoiced when I walked in and immediately asked,"did you bring your Ipod?"

Seems she has 12 songs on her Ipod, including a couple of bangra ones. Which is fine, but again, apparently she's been playing the same 12 songs for the last 4 years in the OR and I guess they were sick of it.

I have a good mix of playlists: 70s, 80s alternative, 90s, Hip Hop, Metal, Dance, Pop, etc. I gear them toward who's with me. One of the plastics guys likes rock so we listen to AC/DC, Metallica, etc. Another anesthesiologist likes grunge, so lots of early 90s. One of the scrub techs likes Disco but she's usually overruled by everyone else in the room.:laugh:

If I become a surgeon I will only have goljan in my ipod.

So I was in the OR the other day getting ready to start a case. My staff walks in and plugs in his iPod. Now everyone in the room knows that his music choice isn't exactly current. About half way through an inguinal hernia repair the wedding song comes on, yes the wedding song don don da don. The scrub tech says "is this seriously the wedding song", and he replies "its serious business".Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. There has to be other stories of horrible OR tunes, please share. Good luck topping this one.:laugh:
I don't think you can ever go wrong with classical music, no matter what you select. You do have the choice to select a more intense piece like the Hammerklavier vs the Goldberg variations. The worst complaints I have ever heard about classical is that apparently it is soporific for some, but an apparent lack of sophistication is not as bad as an abomination, at least from the point of view of the listener.

Great thread.
Worst music..Top three in order of dismal.
1) Celine Dion in a robotic prostate case...only Celine Dion...made worse the case was a very long learning case for the new fellow.
2) My senior resident, metrosexual (apparently)...blasting Fiona Apple with an all male surgery crew...I shook my head when I walked in. He looked at me and said "Fiona isn't bad." My response: "She ain't good either."
3) Surg onc attending singing some Faster Pussycat Club song (or whatever that band is called)...singing WITHOUT FLIPPIN MUSIC..."Don't you wish your surgeon was hot like me." If I even hear this song...flashbacks occur.

Best Music:
Operating with the chairman on a surg onc case blasting Jimi Hendrix, during a guitar riff on Along the Watchtower, he stops bobs his head and does a mini-air guitar with his hands and says..."It's always easier to operate with Jimi." I knew I found the right program.

Ha ha...surgres88.

There is a HUGE difference between the band Faster Pussycat and the Pussycat Dolls (which is what your attending was singing).:laugh:

And yes, the right music does make everything go faster. The reason I did so many Whipples as a resident was because my PD and I liked each other and both appreciated AC/DC, which was his music of choice for closing. And so it is mine as well.

Most of my attendings have had awesome taste in music....lots of classic rock: zeppelin, rush, hendrix, beatles, rolling stones, etc. I had one that had a huge playlist that included metallica, pantera, tool, deftones, and wu-tang. Those cases were automatically better...especially when tenacious d came on.

One had a thing for the gin blossoms, another let her teenage kids load up her ipod...we would be listening to jewel and out of nowhere it would shuffle to master p or 2pac. Good times indeed...

Unfortunately I was exposed to some country, but the worst by far was on surg onc when we got the same 10 coldplay songs for 12 hours. I was never that into coldplay...now it makes me nauseous.

Ha ha...surgres88.

There is a HUGE difference between the band Faster Pussycat and the Pussycat Dolls (which is what your attending was singing).:laugh:

And yes, the right music does make everything go faster. The reason I did so many Whipples as a resident was because my PD and I liked each other and both appreciated AC/DC, which was his music of choice for closing. And so it is mine as well.

I knew it was Pussycat... something. If I get that song in my head today, I'm going to have to binge on a few cold ones tonight to make myself numb. It was so painful...just to make matters worse the attending lays the chorus down for me when I see him. Nails on a chalk board for me, who says attendings are empathetic?

In his defense, he is a Social Distortion fan so he gets major cool points for that and an flippin awesome technical surgeon!

My staff would almost never let a resident play their own music! even rarer- letting anesthesia play the music.

Ok - i'm goign to get Boo-ed here; I hate music in the OR. I find the decibel level in the room just goes up as everyone is talking above the music and nobody can hear me ask for instruments, etc. No music in my OR! Every now and then some resident comes in with his Ipod or turns on the radio and i lose it on him.

i suck.

Ok - i'm goign to get Boo-ed here; I hate music in the OR. I find the decibel level in the room just goes up as everyone is talking above the music and nobody can hear me ask for instruments, etc. No music in my OR! Every now and then some resident comes in with his Ipod or turns on the radio and i lose it on him.

i suck.
Maybe the speakers just aren't properly set up in your ORs? Ideally, the music takes a background-type position, and so even though you can hear the music fairly well, voices from people in the room still easily penetrate through. Some of the older style ceramic tile cell ORs don't facilitate an optimal listening experience as well. But in a more ideal setting, people don't usually have to talk over the music; they just sorta speak "through" it. I think that some people who actually get accustomed and comfortable to working with some sort of music in the background may actually feel a little weird, and so refusing it may actually inhibit some people's performance. ;)

Most of my faculty expect the resident to provide the music. I have long playlists that I've put together for each attending based upon my perception of their tastes. There's a strong theme of 80s rock, but that's just my bad taste in pop music.

One attending insists on playing his iPod and it's all Amy Grant, Celine Dion, and Shania Twain. The horror . . .

Unfortunately I was exposed to some country, but the worst by far was on surg onc when we got the same 10 coldplay songs for 12 hours. I was never that into coldplay...now it makes me nauseous.

Do they have any other effect?

i suck.

HA HA...you sound like some of my scrubs.

My music often gets progessively louder as the case is going well and good stuff is on. So much so that some complain they can't hear what I want...I just tell them to push the Mayo closer to me and I'll help myself.

was in the OR wednesday, heard "wonderwall" play through the speakers.....made me feel uneasy.