Let's try again, join me for study group NBDE I may/June 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blissonearth

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi friends, let's continue the closed thread here. No promoting any materials here, just prop some in doubt questions as our exam is approaching fast.

Members don't see this ad.

summer illness is herpangina caused by coxsackie virus.

HO GUYS .,, I HAVE FOUND THIS QUESTION TWICE.. AND WITH 2 DIFFERENT ANSWER.. CAN ANY ONE TELL ME WHAT IS THE CORRECT ANSWER?

summerillnesscausedbyco.jpg

2 DIFFERENT ANSWER WAS 1. INFLUENZA AND 4. COXSACKIEVIRUS.

I THINK COXSACKIEVIRUS A CAUSES ORAL LESIONS WITH SUCH CHARACTERSTIC. STILL NOT SURE.. CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT IS THE CORRECT ANSWER>>

PS GUYS.. THOSE WHO ARE REALLY GIVING IN MAY / JUNE EXAM.. NEED TO BE MORE ACTIVE NOW... :D:D:D

PUMP UP.. GEAR UP.. AND STOP:sleep::sleep::sleep:

WE NEED TO SUPPORT EACH OTHER AND MAKE IT HAPPEN.. WITHOUT PROCASTRINATION...

thanks a lot teethie..

can anyone tel me how right sided heart failure affects kidney??

here is the que for it....

rightsidefailureaffecti.jpg

all i know is right side failure cause pulmonary edema.. but how it affects kidnye??

thanks a lot teethie..

can anyone tel me how right sided heart failure affects kidney??

here is the que for it....

rightsidefailureaffecti.jpg

all i know is right side failure cause pulmonary edema.. but how it affects kidnye??

hi. i'm new to this forum but i'm taking my exam in may/june too. so i thought i should join it.
as far as this question is concerned, first of all, pulmonary edema is a life threatening complication of LEFT heart failure and NOT RIGHT heart failure.
secondly, i think the ANSWER FOR THIS QUESTION IS 5.
Explanation:
(i'm quoting from kaplan)
clinical features of Right heart failure:
1. one of them is renal hypoperfusion with salt/water retention. that means, decreased blood reaching the kidney --> decreased oxygen reaching kidneys and decreased GFR
2. systemic venous congestion
3. hepatosplenomegaly
4. anasarca

hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi all

is any 1 studing biochem from lecture videos ?if so whoz video are u ppl following..thank you

hi. i'm new to this forum but i'm taking my exam in may/june too. so i thought i should join it.
as far as this question is concerned, first of all, pulmonary edema is a life threatening complication of LEFT heart failure and NOT RIGHT heart failure.
secondly, i think the ANSWER FOR THIS QUESTION IS 5.
Explanation:
(i'm quoting from kaplan)
clinical features of Right heart failure:
1. one of them is renal hypoperfusion with salt/water retention. that means, decreased blood reaching the kidney --> decreased oxygen reaching kidneys and decreased GFR
2. systemic venous congestion
3. hepatosplenomegaly
4. anasarca

hope this helps.
thanks a lot for the valuable reply...it was my mistake.. sorry.. i meant left side heart failure only....

this is great explanation.. got it.. :):thumbup::thumbup:

which type of infection is commonly transmitted by transfusion of properly screened blood?
1. CMV
2. hepatitis A
3.hepatits B
4.non A and non B hepatits??

i am kinda confused what is non A and non B hepatis??

i think the answer should be hepatitis B.

which type of infection is commonly transmitted by transfusion of properly screened blood?
1. CMV
2. hepatitis A
3.hepatits B

ya i thnk the same-hep B

and non A and non B are nothing but hep C,D E....

1. CMV
2. hepatitis A
3.hepatits B

Answer : 4
non A non B (NANB) is the other name for Hepatitis C only. (not hepatitis D or E)
it's clearly stated in one of the books that Hepatitis C is transmitted through blood that has already been screened.

guys..............what is the lingual height of contour of mand. 2nd premolar??? Review book says Middle third and ASDA I-M answer key says occlusal third. ...is that a mistake????r there more mistakes in the answer key i wonder..

Answer : 4
non A non B (NANB) is the other name for Hepatitis C only. (not hepatitis D or E)
it's clearly stated in one of the books that Hepatitis C is transmitted through blood that has already been screened.

ok..thanks a lot for correcting...but both hep B and C are transmitted by bld ..so inadequate screening can cause B also?im not sure..can u tell which book u reffered?

and non A non B hep is hep C ..this is b4 others were discovered...now other thn A AND B all comes under non A non B HEP...i read it in kaplan...correct me if im wrong...

Members don't see this ad :)
ok..thanks a lot for correcting...but both hep B and C are transmitted by bld ..so inadequate screening can cause B also?im not sure..can u tell which book u reffered?

and non A non B hep is hep C ..this is b4 others were discovered...now other thn A AND B all comes under non A non B HEP...i read it in kaplan...correct me if im wrong...

i read this in NDB-I topical review notes for hepatitis & infection control. they have written only about hep C as non A non B. it also says that there r no markers for hepatitis C. so it cannot be screened for in blood. and because of this, it occurs through transfusion of "properly" screened blood too.
but the latest kaplan says that NOW hep C can be screened. i'm guessing this question is from a really old paper.

Please answer this question...
which of the foll is not precursor of storage of glycogen
1.palmitic acid
2.glutamic acid
3.pyruvate
4.glycerol

Please answer this question...
which of the foll is not precursor of storage of glycogen
1.palmitic acid
2.glutamic acid
3.pyruvate
4.glycerol

I think it should be palmitic acid. palmitic acid is a saturated fatty acid. and fatty acids cannot be directly converted to glucose (which forms glycogen).
please correct me if i'm wrong.

can anyone give me answer for this question?

penicillineanderythromy.jpg

some articles say penicillin and erythromycin has antigonism so cannot be given together.

whereas the answer is E. peniclllin is effective only in growing cells. it doesnt make any sense....

can anyone tell me which is the correct answer and how?? explain it please...

thanks..

can anyone give me answer for this question?

penicillineanderythromy.jpg

some articles say penicillin and erythromycin has antigonism so cannot be given together.

whereas the answer is E. peniclllin is effective only in growing cells. it doesnt make any sense....

can anyone tell me which is the correct answer and how?? explain it please...

thanks..

Some questions need to be answered by eliminating the other choices i guess. choices B, C and D were totally wrong. i was slightly confused between A and E but since bactericidal (penicillin) and bacteriostatic (erythromycin) antibiotics when given together show antagonism, choice A also becomes wrong.
hope this helps.

thank you ddss87... thanks a lot..
yeastcellandchalmydospo.jpg

can u answer this ?? please... and how??? i mean some little explanation>>> i tried to google and wiki search also.. but all in vain..

thank you ddss87... thanks a lot..
yeastcellandchalmydospo.jpg

can u answer this ?? please... and how??? i mean some little explanation>>> i tried to google and wiki search also.. but all in vain..

ok..i think it should be A. Candida albicans.
because candida is characterized by both pseudohyphae (formed from yeast) and chlamydospores (asexual spores). and it causes oral infection.
B, C and D cause respiratory infections.
E causes dermatophytosis.
do u have the answer key to these questions? please post the correct answers if u have them. thanks!

here r a few questions. i know the answers but couldn't find an explanation. please help!

Chambers X & Y r separated by a biologic membrane. Initially, both chambers contain water. Addition of which of the following solutions will cause a net movement of water from X to Y?
A. Non-permeating solute to X
B. Non-permeating solute to Y
C. Permeating solute to X
D. Permeating solute to Y

Which of the following characterizes the generator potential of a receptor?
A. All or none response
B. Propagated in a non-decremental manner
C. Universally present in all nerve tissues.
D. Graded according to strength of the stimulus.

In a molar, root canals usually join the pulp chamber
A. at the level of the furcation
B. at varying levels, dependent on age
C. within the cervical third of the crown
D. apical to the cervical level of the crown

A lipid bilayer membrane is least permeable to which of the following?
A. Water
B. Sodium
C. glycerol
D. cholesterol
E. Palmitic acid

count me too in the race of nbde 1..giving my exams last week of june..just going wth dental deck n than wll go to asda papers..hw abt u people....:thumbup:

here r a few questions. i know the answers but couldn't find an explanation. please help!

Chambers X & Y r separated by a biologic membrane. Initially, both chambers contain water. Addition of which of the following solutions will cause a net movement of water from X to Y?
B. Non-permeating solute to Y ans

A. All or none response
D. Graded according to strength of the stimulus. ans

D. apical to the cervical level of the crown ans

A. Water
B. Sodium ans
C. glycerol
D. cholesterol
E. Palmitic acid

am i right with the answers... plz correct me

Whichof the following is​
NOT a complication
of untreated left-sided heart failure?

Orthopnea
Pleural effusion
Bacterial pneumonia
Myocardial hyperplasia​
Paroxysmal nocturnal dyspnea

the answer given is myocardial hyperplasia.is it because heart muscle shows hypertrphy andnt hyperplasia.
but does left heart failure lead to bacterial pneumonia.
someone pls help.
thanks

since the net movement of water is from x to y , addition of solute to x doesnt cause movement towards y, so it should be added to y.
and its moving only in one direction so the solute should be non-permeating.
hope i m clear

A. All or none response
D. Graded according to strength of the stimulus.ans

A graded response to a stimulus, or a graded depolarization induced in the terminal of a sensory receptor, which after achieving a certain level (firing threshold), is capable of producing an action potential in the afferent axon in the nearby sensory neuron
all or none law does not depend on strenght of the stimulus.

D. apical to the cervical level of the crownans( according to decks)

A. Water
B. Sodiumans
C. glycerol
D. cholesterol
E. Palmitic acid
lipid bilayer is not permeable to ions , but freedly permeable to water and lipid based substances like glycerol, cholesterol and palmitic acids

Whichof the following is​
NOT a complication
of untreated left-sided heart failure?

Orthopnea
Pleural effusion
Bacterial pneumonia
Myocardial hyperplasia​
Paroxysmal nocturnal dyspnea

the answer given is myocardial hyperplasia.is it because heart muscle shows hypertrphy andnt hyperplasia.
but does left heart failure lead to bacterial pneumonia.
someone pls help.
thanks

kaplan states that some cells are unable to exhibit hyperplasia (nerve, cardiac, skeletal muscle cells). so that rules out myocardial hyperplasia.
myocardial hypertrophy occurs in left heart failure, not hyperplasia...
I also don't think bacterial pneumonia is a complication of left heart failure..at least it's not mentioned anywhere.
so, answer should be bacterial pneumonia. please correct me (with explanation) if i'm wrong.

since the net movement of water is from x to y , addition of solute to x doesnt cause movement towards y, so it should be added to y.
hope i m clear[/QUOTE]

hey PAPU ...its not really clear !!!they r sayin which sol. will cause a net mvmt of water from x to y,,...........why an additional solute to x doesnt go to y ...not gettin it !!!!
can u pls explain again !!plssssssssss:)

kaplan states that some cells are unable to exhibit hyperplasia (nerve, cardiac, skeletal muscle cells). so that rules out myocardial hyperplasia.
myocardial hypertrophy occurs in left heart failure, not hyperplasia...
I also don't think bacterial pneumonia is a complication of left heart failure..at least it's not mentioned anywhere.
so, answer should be bacterial pneumonia. please correct me (with explanation) if i'm wrong.

hey dds887,
the question is which is NOT a complication.according to your explanation answer should be both bacterial pneumonia and myocardial hyperplasia but we have to choose one.

hope i m clear

hey PAPU ...its not really clear !!!they r sayin which sol. will cause a net mvmt of water from x to y,,...........why an additional solute to x doesnt go to y ...not gettin it !!!!
can u pls explain again !!plssssssssss:)[/QUOTE]

i understood it. let me try & explain.
this is an example of OSMOSIS. X and Y r separated by a semipermeable/biologic membrane. Water will move from X to Y only if concentration of Y is increased because in osmosis, water moves from an area of low concentration to an area of higher concentration. Adding a non-permeating solute (i.e. hypertonic solution) to Y will increase concentration of Y and water can move frm X to Y. i hope it's clear.

can u pls explain again !!plssssssssss:)

this is an example of OSMOSIS. X and Y r separated by a semipermeable/biologic membrane. Water will move from X to Y only if concentration of Y is increased because in osmosis, water moves from an area of low concentration to an area of higher concentration. Adding a non-permeating solute (i.e. hypertonic solution) to Y will increase concentration of Y and water can move frm X to Y. i hope it's clear.[/QUOTE]
thankyou ddss87, your explanation is more clear

this is an example of OSMOSIS. X and Y r separated by a semipermeable/biologic membrane. Water will move from X to Y only if concentration of Y is increased because in osmosis, water moves from an area of low concentration to an area of higher concentration. Adding a non-permeating solute (i.e. hypertonic solution) to Y will increase concentration of Y and water can move frm X to Y. i hope it's clear.[/QU

thankyou ddss87, your explanation is more clear

Somebody please help me out with this question.

A stray crown is found in your office. It is an anterior incisor and has a cingulum that is offset from the center. What tooth is it most likely to be?
A. Maxillary central incisor
B. Maxillary lateral incisor
C. Mandibular lateral incisor
D. Mandibular central incisor

The answer given is C.
Shouldn't it be A? because maxillary teeth have a more distinct lingual anatomy.

I think it can be A or C; as the cingulum is off center. First choice would be A

Somebody please help me out with this question.

A stray crown is found in your office. It is an anterior incisor and has a cingulum that is offset from the center. What tooth is it most likely to be?
A. Maxillary central incisor
B. Maxillary lateral incisor
C. Mandibular lateral incisor
D. Mandibular central incisor

The answer given is C.
Shouldn't it be A? because maxillary teeth have a more distinct lingual anatomy.

I think it can be A or C; as the cingulum is off center. First choice would be A

there must be some error in the given options. i mean both A and C have offset cingulum .

the question is also straight forward. so i doubt about the options.

I mean both are correct.

or there should be option to select 2 ... A and C as we see in old question papers.

thanks for ur replies. please answer this question also.

During a working side movement of the mandible, the oblique ridge of a maxillary first molar passes through which sulcus of a permanent mandibular first molar?
A. Mesiobuccal sulcus
B. Distobuccal sulcus
C. Mesiolingual sulcus
D. Distolingual sulcus

thanks for ur replies. please answer this question also.

During a working side movement of the mandible, the oblique ridge of a maxillary first molar passes through which sulcus of a permanent mandibular first molar?
A. Mesiobuccal sulcus
B. Distobuccal sulcus
C. Mesiolingual sulcus
D. Distolingual sulcus

its given in decks!!!

btw what is the final ans about ur previous question>> MX CI ??

hey,
i am confused about working and nonworking side contact of each cusp ,can anyone please explain it to me ,i think this topic is important :confused:

Last edited:
its given in decks!!!

btw what is the final ans about ur previous question>> MX CI ??

i asked the question from decks only..but i didn't understand why it should be distobuccal sulcus. if u can explain, then it'll be very helpful. otherwise i'll just have to memorize it!

and for the previous question, it should be mx. CI is the right choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.