let's try this again - my story & some questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BananaRepublic

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My other post went to hell, so I decided to post up again. I’m 19 years old, non-urm first generation (refugee) student. I’ve always been the guy that would rather work than go to school, and never really tried in high school – which bit me in the ass in high school when I thought I could “get out early” by doing some course work at a community college (I guess high school study tactics couldn’t get me by . I go to a state school, but for the field I’m studying it’s pretty good (<5). I’ve never really been good with sciences or any other subject, for me it seemed like no matter how hard I try I can never be “really good” at anything, as hard as I tried I’d always fall in the middle. Similarly, I don’t think I’m really bad at many subjects. Regardless, in post-high school education it’s not really how intelligent you are but how hard you’re willing to work that shows up on your grades. Well. I’ve had a really tough time trying to prove myself. Take math for example, I carried over a 2.2 from trigonometry in high school, to get a 2.7 in Calc I. Then I began to take school seriously (after realizing how serious these four years are), and my grades have shot up tremendously. 3.5 in Calc II, 3.8 Calc II, 4.0 diff. Eq, 4.0 matrix algebra, 4.0 multivariable, etc. I just completed general chem and physics courses this year, and received 4.0s in all six intro classes. With all of the mistakes I’ve made in the past, my GPA still falls around a 3.5 sci gpa, and similar non-sci. No volunteering, no clubs, no-savingbabies-or-puppies-from-burning-buildings, I have done research at several labs, and currently in a pathology lab. I’m really trying to take my schooling seriously but I have this sort of complex that nothing is good enough because I have so much to “prove” to everyone (especially with a community-college background). I’m just about completing intro biology (so far a 3.8 and 4.0), and hope to get +3.5 for last two. All I have left is the organic chem series, biochem, and maybe some filler-uppers (genetics, etc). My questions are:

1) How competitive of an applicant am I? I’ve looked at mdapplicants a few times, and I feel like crap having done so.
2) I haven’t done any volunteering, and I’m now a Senior. After finishing ochem, I pretty much have to take the mcats and apply (it would only complicate matters for me financially & socially to extend my application a year late). On mdapplications (my only source) people have insane hours like 300+ or 2 yrs of volunteer experience. If I were to volunteer this Summer, would that help me?
3) Do you have to necessarily volunteer at a hospital? I feel as though my skills could be used to help others in different ways (for example: fundraising for NGOs, web-development for NGOs, etc.) of which I plan to do later this Summer.
4) Is it more advantageous to take the April mcat? I would totally be ready come August, since that gives me plenty of time to re-catalogue everything I’ve learned thus far and allow me to finish the ochem series – and time to maybe do something like SMEP before application time?
5) Do I have to legally tell schools that I have ADD? Seeing as how I’m 100% convinced I don’t have it, and do not take any of the prescribed medications; it could only hurt me in the application process. I believe my poor grades were because of a lack of discipline and not knowing how to study “correctly” (but now I know my study niche and can approach classes at an angle )
6) Do schools look at your course loads when looking at your application? So far I’ve had several quarters where I’ve taken 4-5 classes at a time, and come Autumn it is going to be the hardest quarter I’ll have. A lot of other premeds I know take two science classes and a “cake walk” class. What would look better: 3 sci and one non-sci at 3.5 or better, or 2 sci/1 nonsci at 3.6-3.7 or better?
7) Would I stand a chance at any of the higher ranked schools? What sort of mcat score should I shoot for?
8) How much money have you guys spent during the application cycle (I’m looking to apply to around ~15 schools)? Do you have your parents help you, or do you take out short term loans, or what?

Regards!
BananaRepublic

Members don't see this ad.

BananaRepublic said:
1) How competitive of an applicant am I? I’ve looked at mdapplicants a few times, and I feel like crap having done so.

I think you're a competitive applicant. Adcoms look for overall trends in grades, and yours have been improving.

BananaRepublic said:
2) I haven’t done any volunteering, and I’m now a Senior. After finishing ochem, I pretty much have to take the mcats and apply (it would only complicate matters for me financially & socially to extend my application a year late). On mdapplications (my only source) people have insane hours like 300+ or 2 yrs of volunteer experience. If I were to volunteer this Summer, would that help me?

I would take some more time to volunteer. You are only 19, I think if you spent some more time working with people, you would gain a lot of maturity in the process. How do you know you want to go to medical school if you haven't experienced what the environment in a medical office is like? You could get a paying job in a medical office, or, with your course background, a position as a research assistant and volunteer on the weekends. Financially, you will go into debt as a medical student. Socially- I don't know what you mean by this. I feel it will only help you.

BananaRepublic said:
3) Do you have to necessarily volunteer at a hospital? I feel as though my skills could be used to help others in different ways (for example: fundraising for NGOs, web-development for NGOs, etc.) of which I plan to do later this Summer.

Sounds great. Do what you think is most interesting, plus this is unique.

BananaRepublic said:
4) Is it more advantageous to take the April mcat? I would totally be ready come August, since that gives me plenty of time to re-catalogue everything I’ve learned thus far and allow me to finish the ochem series – and time to maybe do something like SMEP before application time?
5) Do I have to legally tell schools that I have ADD? Seeing as how I’m 100% convinced I don’t have it, and do not take any of the prescribed medications; it could only hurt me in the application process. I believe my poor grades were because of a lack of discipline and not knowing how to study “correctly” (but now I know my study niche and can approach classes at an angle )
6) Do schools look at your course loads when looking at your application? So far I’ve had several quarters where I’ve taken 4-5 classes at a time, and come Autumn it is going to be the hardest quarter I’ll have. A lot of other premeds I know take two science classes and a “cake walk” class. What would look better: 3 sci and one non-sci at 3.5 or better, or 2 sci/1 nonsci at 3.6-3.7 or better?
7) Would I stand a chance at any of the higher ranked schools? What sort of mcat score should I shoot for?
8) How much money have you guys spent during the application cycle (I’m looking to apply to around ~15 schools)? Do you have your parents help you, or do you take out short term loans, or what?

For the rest of your questions, consult the MSAR. I don't know what schools think of students with ADD, but hey- you made it this far! The MSAR will also help you with MCAT score data. If you are going to apply in the summer of the year you take the MCAT, take it in April.

Money for applications= 160 for AMCAS, then ~130 for schools (primary + secondary), plus flying to interviews, etc.

BananaRepublic said:

If you get clinical experiences and volunteer (or volunteer at a clinical site) and do well on the MCAT, you will be a competitive applicant.

BananaRepublic said:

Don't make excuses about not volunteering or getting clinical experiences. These are the two easiest things to add to your application. If you want to get into medical school, you will do these things. Volunteering is not absolutely necessary for every school, but clinical experiences absolutely are. How do you know you want to be a doctor if you've never worked or spent time in a clinical environment? And how can you convince adcoms that you want to be a doctor due to an interest and commitment to medicine if you have nothing on your record that proves it? Actions speak louder than words.

The total number of hours is not so important - what's important is a consistent and long-term commitment to these activities. Start now and continue all the way until you get in. You can make time even with a full courseload and studying for the MCAT - other people have done so too.

BananaRepublic said:

You don't have to volunteer at a hospital, or even at a clinical site. But you MUST get clinical experience, whether that's through working or volunteering doesn't matter - what matters is that you do it.

BananaRepublic said:

Yes, you have an advantage in taking the April MCAT in that it allows you to complete your applications and get interviews earlier in the series. You don't need to finish OChem 2 by the time you take the April MCAT - you can learn what you need to know by maybe midway through the semester and fill in the rest through self-study or a prep course.

But if you absolutely will not be ready for April, it's not worth risking a low score just to get your app in early.

BananaRepublic said:

No, you do not have to tell schools you have ADD.

BananaRepublic said:

Schools look at everything, but it's in your best interest to get the highest GPA possible. Cheap answer, but that's how it goes.

BananaRepublic said:

You have a chance, but probably not a good one. Even with a 35+ on the MCAT, your total lack of extracurriculars, clinical experiences, and volunteering do not make you the type of candidate top schools are looking for.

BananaRepublic said:

I applied to 30 schools, spending around $5000 total.

BananaRepublic said:
Regards!
BananaRepublic

Good luck! And start getting those clinical experiences ASAP.

Members don't see this ad :)
willthatsall said:
What is your GPA?
read his post jeez!

To the OP, your GPA is fine; just shoot for the best in the MCATs and hopefully you know why you wanna do medicine. Good luck.

You'll do fine. Don't use mdapplicants. That site sucks and is used as a tool to discourage pre-meds from applying.

blingblah said:
read his post jeez!

To the OP, your GPA is fine; just shoot for the best in the MCATs and hopefully you know why you wanna do medicine. Good luck.

I scanned it. It has too many numbers in it, and I was looking for some consolidation.

willthatsall said:
I scanned it. It has too many numbers in it, and I was looking for some consolidation.

Yes me too. I read the post, but was not clear on what the overall cummulative GPA is. But if you could please clarify, then that would help me to give a better outlook on what I think.

But as others posted, the schools do look in trends. Do well on the MCAT and DO GET clinical experience.

Remember you can get clinical work by becoming a CNA, PCT, EMT-B, Phelbotomist, etc. You don't need to do it through volunteering at a hospital.

A copy of MSAR should give you allot of the stat. info your looking for. Follow link, you can also purchase offical MCAT practice tests which are very helpful. Your chances really depend on the schools you apply to, each sch. has it's own standards

https://services.aamc.org/Publicati...1&cftoken=D5F856A5-CACB-46F2-ABD528F7956EAD8B

You can also go to your local book store and get a general "How to Get into Medical School" book those are very helpful for a general idea of what you'll face. Have you spoken to a premed advisor and do you have people lined up who you can ask letters of recomendation from? I would advise getting in contact with a physician you can shadow, you may find one with a similar background who can act as a mentor (they're better to work with than just volunt. in hospt.). That's all, I think your solid on the grades, try for an MCAT of 30+, and though people get in without clinical exposure, it's best if you have some.

Personally it just seems to me like the mdapplicants people are crazy.
I know plently of so-so applicants who got into medical school because they were in-state. What state are you from? I think it makes a big difference.

redclover said:
Personally it just seems to me like the mdapplicants people are crazy.
I know plently of so-so applicants who got into medical school because they were in-state. What state are you from? I think it makes a big difference.

What is so-so considered? And what state are you talking about? ...hoping you say New York

DrBuro said:
What is so-so considered? And what state are you talking about? ...hoping you say New York

I think they just mean that MDapps isn't a fair representation of all the people that get in, because only those with the highest stats, generally people affiliated with SDN, post on there.

A lot of people get intimidated because they see all the people on here with 34+ MCAT scores and 3.8+ gpas etc. But MDapps isn't really a fair representation of the applicant pool.

gujuDoc said:
I think they just mean that MDapps isn't a fair representation of all the people that get in, because only those with the highest stats, generally people affiliated with SDN, post on there.

A lot of people get intimidated because they see all the people on here with 34+ MCAT scores and 3.8+ gpas etc. But MDapps isn't really a fair representation of the applicant pool.

I knew this. I was just curious which states the person was talking about.

BananaRepublic said:
2) I haven’t done any volunteering, and I’m now a Senior. After finishing ochem, I pretty much have to take the mcats and apply (it would only complicate matters for me financially & socially to extend my application a year late).

Try to take the MCAT only once. No need to take mcats.