Letter from a dentist???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mlsripathy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!!
I just got a letter from UNC stating that a letter written by a dentist was missing in my application file.
My undergrad school sent them letters of recommendation from the pre-professional dental committee, and I thought that those should be fine.
The problem is that the dentists I worked with practice in Brazil, and do not speak English. They have, however, written letters of recommendation and I should be getting them tomorrow or on Saturday.
Do you think it would be okay for me to translate these letters and mail them to UNC?
Please help!
Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should not open and translate because the letters are to be confidential.

There are serves that translate legal documents like marriage and divorce papers, etc from other countries. You could possibly take the letter to these services. I would call the school first to tell them your situation before you do such a thing. Maybe the service could sign some form certifying confidentiality.

I wouldnt translate it myself. There are translating services available that would translate it for a fee. This way it would be done 'objectively'.

abina81

Members don't see this ad :)
NO matter what you do, DONOT open the letters. Call the schools and ask what is their preffered translating service. Remember most schools have procedures related to this when they are admitting foreign trained dentist. So it's not that bad, just use the service your school recommends and make sure the NOtary Public certifies that the envelopes were not opened.
I did this when I was applying to College, my I had foreign transcripts and few letters written in language other than English. I am assuming it works the same way for Dental school.

Thank you! I will surely contact UNC regarding these translations.

In case, they cant read Portugese.
I would ask the school.
To see if they let u translate the letter and send in the original letter with it.