Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Letter from a DO

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by judit, Nov 13, 2000.

1. judit

judit New Member

Most schools seem to require a recommendation letter not only from a pre-med committee, but also from a DO. How do I find one, and then how do I approach him/her as a stranger with this request? Can anyone help me out?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. EZEK

EZEK Member

You look in the phone book under physician - osteopathic. You talk to the secretary and ask to to shadow the doctor because you would like a letter of recommendation for school. The doctor will either say yes or no to allow you to shadow them. After you have spent some time with them, then they will usually write you a letter. You need to provide the doctor with self addressed stamped envelopes for them to send your letter.

4. Pilot

Pilot Senior Member

Attending Physician
    Here is what I did, and it worked out rather well for me. I looked in the alumni catalog for my undergraduate degree and found a D.O. who had graduated with the same undergrad degree as me. I called his office with a request to meet with the physician regarding my application, and he agreed to meet with me. He completed an evaluation for me, and also called the admission's office regardng my application twice. Hope this helps, and good luck in your medical school endeavors.

5. healthydawg

healthydawg Member

i like the two responses above. here's another suggestion:

ask EVERYONE you know if they know a DO (pardon the rhyme). chances are, you'll find someone who has either worked with or gone to a DO. i found three DOs that were willing to talk to me that way - one over the phone and two in person. it helped to have a referral of sorts. also, if you talk to one who WON'T let you shadow, be sure to ask if he/she knows someone who might be open to it. i've noticed DOs in the same area tend to know (or know of) each other.

good luck.

6. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Banned
    Banned

Resident [Any Field]
    Here's what I did:

1. Look in phone book for D.O.'s.
    2. Write fancy letters, stating purpose.
    3. Mail letters.
    4. Follow up on letters in 10 days.

I have found that many D.O.'s are MORE than happy to help pre-med students. I am sure you will find the help you are looking for.

But...make sure you know what a D.O. is and what Ostepathic Medicine is all about...

Best of luck to you!

------------------
    Joshua Paul Hazelton, CNA, EMT-B
    [email protected]
    University of the Sciences in Philadelphia (2002)
    "D.O. Wannabe"

7. Dr. P

Dr. P Member

You might also contact a professor at some of the osteopathic medical schools you are looking into and arrange an informal interview with an osteopathic physcian. They are usually willing to helpout and answer questions.

8. gower

gower 1K Member

There is a very good reason many osteopathic schools have this requirement. They are well aware that many, not all, osteopathic med school applicants are applying because they either don't expect to be admitted to an allopathic med school, or have been rejected by MD schools. They are well aware that many such applicants have never gone to an osteopath an/or have no clear idea of the distinction between osteopaths and allopaths. The requirement for a letter from an osteopath is to insure that applicants have at least spoken with one.
    There are regional differences in the distribution of osteopaths. In large metropolitan areas osteopaths are almost overwhelmed by the high number of allopathic physicians.

9. qbkatran

qbkatran New Member

I have to disagree with Gower. My daugher has been trying to contact a DO unsucessfully for quite sometimes.. She has been volunteering at the ER in the local hospital for over a year but never be able to make an appointment with the only DO in the hospital due to her work, school she only can work at night on friday, saturday or sunday.
    She sent letters to many DO doctors during the summer with self addresss stamp envelop using the information from the internet but she does not receive any reply.. I would understand all doctors are busy.
    She is trying now to voluteer at a another hospital where there are more DOs than her current hospital but it is going to be a longer drive and we hope it works for her.
    We saw different advices from previous post and she'll going to try all the avenues hoping she'll get one before her June application.
    P.S. She is currently at UCI, if there is any recommendations in this area.

10. Hskermdic

Hskermdic Senior Member

I would add that in your letters to DOs asking to shadow them I wouldn't say I am looking for a letter of recomendation in the letter I would say instead that I am in the process of applying to a DO school and want to learn more about osteopathic medicine and osteopathic physicians. After you get your foot in the door and get to meet with the physician then discuss your goals for the relationship and ask what they expect of you to reach those goals.

I suggest this because I know that I love teaching but hate doing paper work. I think a lot of people are that way, they like to tell you about themselves and what they do. INterest them with this and not just a letter of reccomendation.

Just my 2 cents

------------------
    Carrie
    KCOM '03