Letter from math prof I had 10 years ago?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deepa100

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took this class back 1998 in Mathematical Applications in Engineering. The Professor was apparently so impressed by my performance that he sent me certificate of recognition folowing that semester.

Well, now I am looking around for who can write me a good LOR. Should I ask this professor or has it been too long for him to remember me??
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I asked my professor from 8 years ago, and he sure does remember me. I did meet him once in the middle when I visited my home town. Its always a good idea to go visit your old school and teachers when in town.

I would "test the water" and contact him. See if he remembers you or is very vague about any memory of you. If he says"of course I remember you, your'e the guy/girl who did X and Y and Z!" Then I would ask.

IF he has to ask you your name and year and which class-I'd pass on it since his letter would be lukewarm at best.

Good luck to you!

Thanks guys.

I decided to pass on him because I am pretty sure he won't remember me. I do have a couple of letters fro professors. So, I will just do one more from coworkers/supervisors.