letter from penn state

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unicorn1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok....so I got a letter from penn state saying you
application in the "hold for possible interview" and
will be under periodic reivew.

so any get this letter and actually be called for an
interview at a later date

or should I consider myself nicely rejected???
any input?? im sooooo frustrated:mad: :mad:

Members don't see this ad.

There's been a couple threads about this in the past. Basically, you've been rejected. The chances of you getting an interview off the hold for interview list are very slim.

Don't feel too bad, I have the same status at Hopkins and WashU. Blah.

Originally posted by Neuronix
There's been a couple threads about this in the past. Basically, you've been rejected. The chances of you getting an interview off the hold for interview list are very slim.

Don't feel too bad, I have the same status at Hopkins and WashU. Blah.

hey neuronix, if the letter you're referencing from wash u is that cryptic "your file is complete: dont call us, we'll call you" sounding letter, dont lose hope. i got one of those, and pretty much scratched wash u off my list, and they gave me an invite a month later. i dont know how many people have gotten those letters, but you can still get interviewed :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks DW, but what I'm referring to isn't the generic don't call us we'll call you letter. I received nothing from them for over a month after receiving the big book of people I could interview with. Finally, after watching all my pre-MSTP buddies get all their invites to Wash U, I e-mailed to ask my application status. They replied with a generic e-mail that reads:

"The MSTP Committee completed its review of your application and has deferred a decision on whether to offer you an interview. They were unable to arrive at a consensus on your application, and will reconsider it later. Of the 350-400 applications we typically receive, there usually are 170 to 200 that are considered to be competitive for an interview. Since we only have the ability to interview 90-100 individuals, we are faced with some tough choices. Inevitably, there are some applications that are more difficult to make a decision about. This does not mean that they are marginal applications, but just that we cannot arrive at a clear-cut answer on whether or not to interview. These applications are held back for a decision at a later time. We always select some of the held-back (or "hold") applications for an interview; the number depends on the relative strength of the application vis a vis the rest of the applicant pool."

I updated my file, but I'm not gonna hold my breath for an interview.

As for Hopkins, I called and they told me that I was hold for interview over the phone. I e-mailed to ask about updating my file, and the following was the response:

"Your application is placed in a hold category for the rest of the interview season which is over around the end of Feb. However, it is very unlikely that the Committee would need to go back to these files in search of additional interviewees."

What is the email for hopkins? I can't find the dang thing