Letter from U of Chicago after interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hello23

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, guys,
I just received a letter from the program director from U of Chicago saying that I would be the most welcome addition to their program, and I am wondering if anyone knows this letter is sent to everyone... Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't get one two years ago when I applied.

hello23 said:
Hey, guys,
I just received a letter from the program director from U of Chicago saying that I would be the most welcome addition to their program, and I am wondering if anyone knows this letter is sent to everyone... Thanks.

How long after you interviewed did u receive the letter? I interviewed there several weeks ago, but nada in the mail - of course, haven't been home in a while so maybe it's sitting in the mailbox? :oops: :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
it's like 2 weeks later...

How did you guys like the program? I interview there in January...

I love it. But I think you need to see it yourself. I think there is a long, awesome thread about U of C in the past. That's how I learned about it. :)

I thought that it was great. The only downsides that I could find were:

1 the lack of adult trauma at the Mitchell ED
2 the Mitchell ED in general
3 Lots of commuting as the 3 primary sites are quite dispersed

Otherwise seemed like a great program. I think I would be happy to match there. :thumbup:

hello23 said:
Hey, guys,

IMHO, if you received a letter from the PD at U of C then you'll be ranked highly. From past experience, he is very aggressive with the applicants that he wants...and if you don't hear from him, then don't expect a high ranking...

I would say use caution with that. I was given a letter and ranked them number one. I matched at number two. We have another resident who he told the exact same thing as he told me...you would be a wonderful addition...we hope you rank us highly...and he also did not match there. I'm sure you all are great applicants and I would say rank how you feel in your heart and not what a program director says. Remember it is somewhat of a game. Good luck.

Girlygirl said:
I would say use caution with that. I was given a letter and ranked them number one. I matched at number two. We have another resident who he told the exact same thing as he told me...you would be a wonderful addition...we hope you rank us highly...and he also did not match there. I'm sure you all are great applicants and I would say rank how you feel in your heart and not what a program director says. Remember it is somewhat of a game. Good luck.
Agree with girlygirl. It is a game. Dont' use post-interview feedback to EVER change your ROL. Remember to put your ROL in order of WHERE YOU WANT TO GO... not where you think you are wanted. ERAS does the ROL in the applicants favor... don't turn it around and screw yourself.

Q

Thanks, guys! I really appreciate the advice and info. Just one more Q, Girlygirl, were you talking about your and your friends experience with U of Chicago specifically? Thanks. :)

Yes, I am talking about University of Chicago. Not trying to burst anyone's bubble, but be careful with putting your hopes on a program just because the director says you would be a great addition to the program. RANK HOW YOU WANT.

Girlygirl said:
Yes, I am talking about University of Chicago. Not trying to burst anyone's bubble, but be careful with putting your hopes on a program just because the director says you would be a great addition to the program. RANK HOW YOU WANT.

Hello23,

Just returned home and checked the mail and, yes, I received the "most welcome addition" letter. I imagine that it is a form letter. The PD did add a hand written paragraph at the bottom of the letter, however, which was a nice touch as he mentioned some specifics of our talk. Not that it will affect my ROL, but it was appreciated.

Cheers,
EMapp

Members don't see this ad :)
I got the letter as well with a paragraph from the PD. Good to know that there's probably a lot more of these circulating around then there are spots. Still was nice to get some acknowledgement that at least one program liked me at least a little bit.

Dr. Howes sends this letter out a bunch I also got a letter reciently but my interview was many weeks ago. He is different than any other EM residency director that I have seen out there. I have personally heard him say that he aggressively recruits his top choices but I have also heard him say that the residents and other faculity have a say in the ROL. In speaking with several current residents they reported that it was a nice touch to get that letter from Howes with the personal comments.

As far as knowing whether a program likes you ask them the following question: "How do I know that you are interested in me, how do I demonstrate that I am interested in you. (your program)". That question gets some VERY interesting answers from PDs.

As far as knowing whether a program likes you ask them the following question: "How do I know that you are interested in me, how do I demonstrate that I am interested in you. (your program)". That question gets some VERY interesting answers from PDs.

And here I thought all I had to do was check my e-mail in the middle of March...

Is Univ. of Chicago a level I trauma center?

U of C is level one trauma for peds. The residents get the majority of their trauma experience when they rotate through Mount Sinai. Hope that helps.

So it is NOT a level I Trauma center for adults? Why not? Has it always been this way?

waterski232002 said:
So it is NOT a level I Trauma center for adults? Why not? Has it always been this way?

Correct: the University of Chicago Hospital (located on the south side, in Hyde Park) is not a level 1 trauma center. Level 1 centers in Chicago include Christ, Stroger/Cook County, Northwestern Memorial, Mt. Sinai. I may be omitting one or two. The majority of traumas that must bypass U of C go to Northwestern, then Sinai, then CCH (based on traffic flow patterns).

As far as why not, good question. Trauma is a money losing proposition so without a governmental mandate/subsidy or dedication to public wellfare combined with a good revenue stream trauma care isn't feasible for most hospitals, U of C included.

Always? No. Within the last 4 or 5 years? Yes.

Has anyone interviewed at U of C and NOT received a letter from the Program Director?

Waterski, I got a letter about one month after my interview which simply stated that they believe U of C is great and offers their residents one of the best trainings available. It did not include the "most welcome addition to our program" line, but it did state that they believe I'd be happy there. That's it, no personal handwritten paragraph. My feeling is that there are several types of letters being sent out, and what does all this mean? nothing if you ask me.

Hmm, seems like Dr. Howes is really playing the game well...give or take whatever I just wrote really means...Any more people have been burnt by him? Tell us more horror story...(that should be the reason why this anonymous board be helpful...I have seen enough PC crap/comments in this whole board, like "oh, he is a great guy."..."great program we have here"

How about some more dirty stuff that all of us won't be able to find out from all the residents during the lunch?

Everyone from the program said the same things:
-oh, the PD is very responsive to our suggestion (whatever you say goes, I guess...)
-oh, we have great training here...no questions about it (dude, you meet the RRC requirement right...)
-oh, we are happy (but it's my #4 choice)
-oh, everyone is nice here...(right, just like all of your distant cousins)
-oh, we have admit priviledge (later you find out it's only to medicine)
-oh, we have great relation to other services (would you say you have bad relation? I am always impressed by someone's honesty whenever a third year residents told me that ortho sucks or whatnot)
-oh, I am sure you will be happy here (how the hell do you know)

and I have seen even worse from the applicants in my trail
-I love county program (didn't I see you at a non-county program where you said you love the ancillary staff of non-county program)
-Oh, really, that's so funny (then there is 15 seconds of silence between the residents who did not intend to be funny and the applicant whose nose is totally brown)

Gotta go...but will write more if you like my observation...this is my way to vent and make fun of all these people...feel free to flame...i don't care

I also received the "most welcomed addition" letter with a hand-written note at the bottom...

waterski232002 said:
I also received the "most welcomed addition" letter with a hand-written note at the bottom...

Did he tell anyone else to let him know before Feb 2nd? I assume that's when they finalize their list.

EMResident,

Actually Northwestern recently gave up their Level I trauma status, so they need to come off of the list.

Additionally, Trauma isnt necessarily a money losing proposition. Actually in Illinois if you are the victim of a violent crime (shooting, stabbing etc.) the state have a victims fund which apparently pays very well. So from talking to some people in the know at Sinai IT ISNT a money losing proposition for them. It is actually one of their biggest money earners. That being said that might not be the case at hospitals in nicer locations.

EctopicFetus said:
EMResident,
Actually Northwestern recently gave up their Level I trauma status, so they need to come off of the list.

When did this happen.... when I interviewed there, they assured us that they were a level I trauma center for all of the downtown area (and they were receiving lots of money for disaster management and preparedness post-9/11)

WakeMedHeel said:
Did he tell anyone else to let him know before Feb 2nd? I assume that's when they finalize their list.

He also told me to e-mail him by 2/2, as well as a number of other applicants who interviewed with me.