Letter from WashU St. Louis: Predatory?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChymeofPassion

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got a letter from WashU STL encouraging me to apply. Is it worth sending in an application, or is this predatory considering how late it is in the cycle (to submit a primary). My MCAT is 517, so far below their median. Waste of money to send in primary?

Members don't see this ad.

As a general rule, don't pay attention to these types of letters. Their goal is to have the largest and most diverse applicant pool as possible. These letters ultimately serve the schools' interests, and not the applicants'.

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 20 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As a general rule, don't pay attention to these types of letters. Their goal is to have the largest and most diverse applicant pool as possible. These letters ultimately serve the schools' interests, and not the applicants'.
All I need to hear. The reason I ask is because I have received two emails similar to this from other schools, and received two interviews from them. Wasn't sure if it was some kind of priority thing.

Reactions: 1 users
I got a letter from a school that doesn’t accept Canadians encouraging me to apply. I haven’t even applied to schools this cycle. I wouldn’t trust those letters.

Reactions: 4 users
I got that letter today, too! Not to make you feel less special but I feel like they're just trying to get more applicants.

Reactions: 2 users
The school that emailed me was southern Florida in Tampa. Did any of you get emails from them?

Unless they come with a fee waiver and you are in the ballpark for their stats, I would burn those letters and trash the emails

Why the hell does our email address go on all these mailing lists after taking the MCAT anyway?

Why the hell does our email address go on all these mailing lists after taking the MCAT anyway?
Because you either opted in (or failed to opt out!) to receive solicitations (information) from schools.