Letter from Yeshiva Ferkauf Health Ph.D regarding over acceptance?

Veit

Jan 14, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychology Student
Last edited:

Ya Ya

Jul 24, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychology Student
Wow. I'm really sorry to hear that. However, judging by the price tag and the "over acceptance" issue, this might have been a blessing in disguise!

About the Ads

KillerDiller

10+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2007
East Coast
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychologist
Keep in mind that it is 5K per year for three years. So, 15K total over the course of your training. It's true that this is a drop in the bucket compared to the total tuition costs, but in attending an otherwise unfunded program, I would seriously consider taking all the help I could get.

Pragma

Neuropsychologist
7+ Year Member
Dec 29, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychologist
Keep in mind that it is 5K per year for three years. So, 15K total over the course of your training. It's true that this is a drop in the bucket compared to the total tuition costs, but in attending an otherwise unfunded program, I would seriously consider taking all the help I could get.

I'd also consider the opportunity cost of the lost year. Since you give up 5 years of your life anyways, is it worth it to wait another year for that meaningful, yet small 5K? You might get a job a year earlier and be on a faster track towards getting a reasonable salary. Or you might find some of your own funding for more money after starting the program.

Ollie123

10+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychologist
5k is a miserable offer.

Financially, for that to be worth doing, you would need to have a < 5k difference between your BA salary and your PhD salary. Otherwise, why delay? (and this is coming from someone who is contemplating a 7+1 path). It seems like they are either trying to take advantage of someone who didn't think things through, or someone who was contemplating deferring anyways for personal reasons.

Edit: and KD - from the way its written, I can't tell if the scholarship is renewable or just the loans. I'm also not clear if the renewal would be "guaranteed". Hopefully anyone who does take this would make it a point to clarify before signing.

Last edited:

Removed
Feb 10, 2012
Status (Visible)
5k is a miserable offer.

Financially, for that to be worth doing, you would need to have a < 5k difference between your BA salary and your PhD salary. Otherwise, why delay? (and this is coming from someone who is contemplating a 7+1 path). It seems like they are either trying to take advantage of someone who didn't think things through, or someone who was contemplating deferring anyways for personal reasons.

+1 I agree...it seems that they accept more students with the expectation that some will have to defer a year for personal reasons. It seems somewhat discriminatory to offer a money amount and lower cost loans to students deferring. I think I would be somewhat irritated to be put in this situation, but I know it happens. It use to be the case where funding was not guaranteed or rather it was dependent upon sources that were not guaranteed, as sometimes a student will arrive on campus to discover that their funding was changed so they have to make a decision at that point in time if they want to stay or leave.

whyeh

Mar 19, 2012
Status (Visible)
Will you be able to apply to other schools while holding the deferred acceptance to Yeshiva? I'm asking because the year of waiting seems like a good opportunity to get into a fully funded program.

paramour

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2007
Status (Visible)
Will you be able to apply to other schools while holding the deferred acceptance to Yeshiva? I'm asking because the year of waiting seems like a good opportunity to get into a fully funded program.

^^ This was my first thought. Reapply and see if you get a better offer while you're waiting around in the next year. You already know that you have an offer waiting for you if nothing better comes along. :D

Ollie123

10+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychologist
Is it bad that my immediate reaction when I see 4410 has agreed with me is to go check over my post because I assume I must have made a mistake and accidentally said something wildly off the mark from what I intended?

About the Ads
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.