Letter of evaluation matching form?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Qarmonist

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is a form that the evaluator has to fill out called the letter of evaluation form. The professor that i'm asking to write me a letter does he also has to fill this out as well? How can I ask my professors now to write me a letter when i'm applying next year and the application doesn't open till may, because he has to fill that form out at same time with the letter of rec and it says 2005 on it so i can't use that one that aadsas has. Meaning I can't have my letters done untill the application process opens how does that work. Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Qarmonist said:
There is a form that the evaluator has to fill out called the letter of evaluation form. The professor that i'm asking to write me a letter does he also has to fill this out as well? How can I ask my professors now to write me a letter when i'm applying next year and the application doesn't open till may, because he has to fill that form out at same time with the letter of rec and it says 2005 on it so i can't use that one that aadsas has. Meaning I can't have my letters done untill the application process opens how does that work. Any suggestions?

I found the best way to do this is plan to apply early! (number one thing)
Number two thing: if you don't already have people who will write you recommendations find some and start asking them now. Here is what I did:

I asked them in the Winter (before the application year) had them sign and seal their recommendations along with the required form. I then collected them AHEAD of time (very important as professor have lives too and do FORGET and get busy). I then mailed them all at once in May of the year I applied. You can mail your recommendation like 1 month before the AADSAS starts taking applications online. Trust me, you application will be mailed out sooner and they will start matching your LOR and transcripts once the process begins. Usually they will give you a date you can send it in by and then they open up the application process about 1 month later. I know some people wait as long as possible to get these things done and turned in but DON'T do it! You will be stressing about other things and you will be happy to have this out of the way.

THIRD THING:
This is very important! When you mail in all your transcripts and LOR to the AADSAS get a certfied mail and signature required signed receipt. THEY (AADSAS) loose everything and unfortunately you need proof.

often times professors will refuse to give the letters, even sealed ones, to applicants in which case you have to have them wait to send it out until may... even if you go ahead and ask in february or march.
about the question, I think aadsas puts out the 2006 matching form somewhat before the application so you can have your professors fill them out. I don't remember exactly when though, maybe March or so.

Members don't see this ad :)
wow thanks a lot i'll do that

Here is what I recommend (and what I did as well). You will have to wait until May to submit those LOR's - so you have plenty of time. I handed each one of my recommendors a little packet that contained a polished, rough draft of my personal statement, my C.V. (it's basically an academic resume), an unofficial copy of my college transcripts, and the LOR matching form. I went to such lengths - and I suggest you do the same - as I wanted them to be able to produce the most informed and hopefully noteworthy letter that he/she could. The best LOR's are those that go beyond "Student X received grade Y in my class. Student X sat in the front row and will do well in graduate school." and instead provide a testament to an applicants character, temperment, maturity, and so on. Think of your LOR's as little vignettes which provide a humanistic insight into your application which is otherwise wrought with sterile numbers and statistics - and that is why I recommend the above approach.

I have a little insight to this as I will be applying this fall, and over winter break, prepared a few packets for planned LORs from professors. I basically included the LOR release form that contains the information you talk about (talks about waiving the letters which I reccomend you do...a confidential letter just looks better) and the formalities of the LOR process, a transcript all my undergraduate coursework, a letter formally requesting the professor for an LOR and also thanking them for taking time in the class to meet and discuss the subject (of course my letter was more detailed than this) and finally, a one page essay about myself, and at the bottom included more information to help and make ease with the letter writing process, such as my grad. date, full name, name I'd like to be reffered to in letter (Doug, not Douglas), and other important tidbits. With all this information at hand, the LOR process will be much easier for the professors I have contacted, and they will be much more enthusiastic to write the letters, with an abundant amt. of info available. Contact your letter service organization, usually located in the academic advising center of your college. They'll have lots of forms for you to fill out to complete a file, where all letters are stored until you notify them to send. Good luck!

PS: to add more about yourself, your interests, abilities, hobbies, and activities, don't fill your page about yourself with info. regarding grades and more about the class you were in with your reccomender, this should all go in that first letter that formally asks for their LOR (make this about a half page as professors are busy and hate to read long letters, especially from students). Make sure you show them your humanistic side and passion for entering dentistry...add all this in your letter about yourself.