Letter of explanation of previously withdrawing from medical school overseas

• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

startingover84

Apr 26, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
In 2007, I matriculated to an overseas medical school and withdrew in the first semester.

My state school's website states that they do not consider applicants that have previously matriculated to medical school. I called their admissions office to ask them if they included overseas medical schools in that standard.

They said that they would need to check, but that I should write a letter of explanation in the meantime.

Would anyone be willing to look it over for me? I feel like I will need to send this to every medical school that I end up applying to (hopefully sending off application in June of 2014). Please send me a private message if you will look it over.

Also, my husband says that I should include a statement about him. Part of my reason for leaving was that I had fallen in love with him before I moved overseas. On top of the other reasons, I knew I could come home to him. We are now happily married. He thinks that they will look more kindly on "love" than other reasons. I think he's wrong. What do you think?

Jamie561

7+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2011
Status (Visible)
Also, my husband says that I should include a statement about him. Part of my reason for leaving was that I had fallen in love with him before I moved overseas. On top of the other reasons, I knew I could come home to him. We are now happily married. He thinks that they will look more kindly on "love" than other reasons. I think he's wrong. What do you think?

This is absolutely awful advice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

oCrystal

Aug 20, 2011
Ohio
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
If you want you or your application want to be taken seriously please do not include that letter.

About the Ads

startingover84

Apr 26, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
If you want you or your application want to be taken seriously please do not include that letter.

Do you mean the letter itself? I was specifically instructed to bring it in person in two weeks to my pre-medical advising appointment. I am not going to ignore my instructions.

If you meant the "love" argument, that is for sure out. I just needed some other opinions so my husband will know I took his idea seriously.

Thanks!

Equestrian

Mar 4, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I absolutely agree with the above - the letter should not mention "love" as a reason for withdrawing from medical school!!! You should NOT mention your husband as having anything to do with your decision!!!

I think you'd be taken much more seriously if you talk about recognizing that it makes more sense to go to a US medical school as you're planning to practice in the US (assuming that's the case).

oCrystal

Aug 20, 2011
Ohio
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Yes, I meant any letter mentioning your husband or "love" as your reason for leaving school the first time. Obviously, a letter describing the professional nature of your previous undertakings is perfectly acceptable.

startingover84

Apr 26, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I absolutely agree with the above - the letter should not mention "love" as a reason for withdrawing from medical school!!! You should NOT mention your husband as having anything to do with your decision!!!

I think you'd be taken much more seriously if you talk about recognizing that it makes more sense to go to a US medical school as you're planning to practice in the US (assuming that's the case).

Thank you. That is exactly what I wrote about in my letter.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.