Letter of good standing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BullsDoctor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm currently doing a transitional year internship (just started last week) and I'll be applying for psychiatry in this cycle. I already have all of my letter of recommendation from last year reuploaded by the letter writers and personal statement ready to upload. But I'm wondering if I need any letter of good standing from this residency program or a letter from the PD of my transitional year. Everyone has given me different answers regarding this matter, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

also if possible I would ask your letter writers to update their letters rather than resubmitting last years. I'm sure some people won't care (as PGY-2 spots are usually ridiculously uncompetitive) but some people (like me) do care.
This might not be PC but I think if PDs would limit themselves to US MDs with no academic problems (Step failures or course failures), it would be a better predictor than decent up to date LORs.

Thanks for the reply in the thread. I wanted to clarify because there is no actual place in the ERAS application for the transitional year PD to upload letter in...do applicants simply use up 1 of the 4 letter of rec spots and have the transitional year PD upload the letter, and submit the application along with all the other letter of recs?