letter of intent advice..please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shaggy411

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
how long is too long for writing a letter of intent??? hear me out:

I'm at the stage of the admission where I just interviewed and do not konw the outcome for one college and got waitlisted to another.

for the one I got waitlisted to, how long is too long for letter of intent?

for the one I havn't heard from, (i plan on sending letter of intent asap before hearing from them), how long should it be?

things like this could make a difference.. ..a big part of letter is that I am trying to clear up a misconception that an interviewer had at my waitlisted school...
he thought i went a commmunity college before my main undergraduate college.. but in reality I attended both at the same time.. one full and one part-time to have room for my prereqs for medical school at my main college..i tried clearing it up, but he took it differently and said there's nothing wrong with that community college.. i was bewildered...i was trying to say i had to balance those two college.. as well as in those four years i had an full-time internship for SIX months....

is this something i shouldn't include in my letter of intent???
and should i send it to the school i didn't hear anything from now or should i wait???

i do'nt want to piss off the committee by having a long ass letter.. so far it's a page and 5 lines of the next page...single spaced..

Members don't see this ad.

Don't worry about the community college thing. He already said there's nothing wrong with community college, so don't bring it up anymore; that just makes you seem insecure and a touch neurotic about it.

Your letter of intent should be about why you want to attend their school, not trying to explain parts of your application that they already have on record. Focus on what makes the school such a perfect fit for you.

And unless you've done anything more to improve your app since your last correspondence with them, the ONLY thing in your letter should be why the school is perfect for you. Nothing else.

The letter should definitely be less than one page, with the standard formatting stuff (date, addresses, signature, etc) included. So the body of the letter should be only like 2/3 of a full page.

Another thing - you should only send a letter of intent to one school. It could be a very bad thing if you send it to both schools and they find out.

Send a letter of intent to one, and a letter stating your interest to the other. A letter of intent tells the school that you will attend their school no matter where else you get into.

Members don't see this ad :)
Kazema said:
Another thing - you should only send a letter of intent to one school. It could be a very bad thing if you send it to both schools and they find out.

Send a letter of intent to one, and a letter stating your interest to the other. A letter of intent tells the school that you will attend their school no matter where else you get into.

I have not heard of a "letter of intent" before and I have done 4 interviews so far this year. Is this something that I can send to medical schools that have not made a decision for me yes or have me on their waitlist, in order to increase my chances of acceptance? Does this have anything to do with a thank you note after interviewing? I'm assuming this is a 'trick of the trade' since they have not openly talked to me about these letters.

I did comm. college first and then during summers. Don't worry about it. I do not think the letter of intent will make much of a difference but you never know. Just relax and wait for a decision. You will get accepted somewhere sooner or later.