EEtoPre-Med

2+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2015
Status
Medical Student
If my spouse is accepted to a particular professional school in the same city as a medical school program I applied to, when can I send a letter of intent? I know the typical answer is after a decision about an interview has been made. I have not yet been offered an interview, do I send this letter if I am rejected? What about if I get the interview, do I just mention it then? I am fully happy to be patient for awhile I am just planning for the future. It is early September.

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
In my opinion, this is a reasonable situation to send a letter of intent/interest pre-interview. While it may have no positive impact on your application, it certainly will have no negative impact. With a little bit of luck, it may get your file reviewed earlier and if you where, say, just below their threshold for II, it might push you over. Having said all that, I would not get your hopes up to high.

Reactions: Goro
OP
EEtoPre-Med

EEtoPre-Med

2+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2015
Status
Medical Student
In my opinion, this is a reasonable situation to send a letter of intent/interest pre-interview. While it may have no positive impact on your application, it certainly will have no negative impact. With a little bit of luck, it may get your file reviewed earlier and if you where, say, just below their threshold for II, it might push you over. Having said all that, I would not get your hopes up to high.
Thank you! Yeah trying to hit the same target schools is tough, and I'd hate to miss an opportunity to be together!

xffan624

5+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
If my spouse is accepted to a particular professional school in the same city as a medical school program I applied to, when can I send a letter of intent? I know the typical answer is after a decision about an interview has been made. I have not yet been offered an interview, do I send this letter if I am rejected? What about if I get the interview, do I just mention it then? I am fully happy to be patient for awhile I am just planning for the future. It is early September.
Is your spouse only attending this school or still considering/waiting on other schools? If it's the latter then please be honest and write a letter of interest not intent. You should only be writing a letter of intent to one school. Consider it the nuclear option. And writing it before you've even interviewed at a school is just silly.

OP
EEtoPre-Med

EEtoPre-Med

2+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2015
Status
Medical Student
The school is in a metro area but the only other school in the city is an Ivy League school and I think I would be quite the long shot for that school. Mainly due to cookie cutter EC's and only 8months of research.
Is this school in a large metro area or a state with only one med school?

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
The school is in a metro area but the only other school in the city is an Ivy League school and I think I would be quite the long shot for that school. Mainly due to cookie cutter EC's and only 8months of research.
If you are a match (or catch) for the school in question, a short direct email (not a long flowery love letter) to the admissions portal would be ok.

Reactions: EEtoPre-Med

CyrilFiggis

2+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2014
Status
Medical Student
There's no value pre-interview if you aren't a stud applicant. If they invite you to interview, bring it up organically during or in a letter post-interview. The only value to adComs come when they are running the math on likely matriculants.