Letter of intent and scholarship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nostra_damus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Happy new years, SDN folk! I am wondering about letters of intent and scholarships and I am looking for constructive advice (if you are going to tell me not to write one, please don't reply to this thread). If you write a letter of intent, how might that impact your ability to get a scholarship? Say, you write a letter of intent to School X, but School Y gives you more money. How would your letter of intent affect you at School X, given that they don't have an incentive to match that money if your letter of intent is pseudo-binding?

In my case, there is one school that is my favorite and I would attend in a heartbeat if accepted AND there was a strong financial aid package. If another school offered me significantly more money, however, I might have to rethink my choices.

Thank you so much in advance. I hope everybody had a safe and fun new years :)

Members don't see this ad.

LOI hold no committment what so ever. They are non binding . I certainly don’t know for sure but I think I read that you can try to increase financial aid by “pitting” one school offer against the other but only if the one offering a bigger scholarship is ranked higher . Some schools will increase their offer if you want to go to their school even if you are accepted and have a big offer from a higher ranked school.

Happy new years, SDN folk! I am wondering about letters of intent and scholarships and I am looking for constructive advice (if you are going to tell me not to write one, please don't reply to this thread). If you write a letter of intent, how might that impact your ability to get a scholarship? Say, you write a letter of intent to School X, but School Y gives you more money. How would your letter of intent affect you at School X, given that they don't have an incentive to match that money if your letter of intent is pseudo-binding?

In my case, there is one school that is my favorite and I would attend in a heartbeat if accepted AND there was a strong financial aid package. If another school offered me significantly more money, however, I might have to rethink my choices.

Thank you so much in advance. I hope everybody had a safe and fun new years :)
It's a pre-med delusion that X will offer you more money just because you some from Y.

Members don't see this ad :)
You need to assess the schools ranking in relation to each other

It's a pre-med delusion that X will offer you more money just because you some from Y.
Yeah I don't think it's a given that applicants be entitled to a price match from a lower ranked school, but applicants have def bartered with schools to some success. I believe NickNaylor wrote a guide about it.

This is one of the reasons that starting this cycle, AMCAS will have an intent and acceptance tool on the web for applicants to list intent and commit to enroll.

This is interesting. I just reread the OP and it seems this person hasn’t even been accepted let alone received any scholarships.