Medical Letter of Intent and TBD Financial Aid

Status
Not open for further replies.

tantacles

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hope this finds you all well. I am a current applicant in the medical school cycle and I have been accepted to School A (residency through my mother) and I hold a wait list position at School B (residency through my father). I recently received what is likely to be my last interview invitation to School C. My feeling is that I would likely write School C a Letter of Intent based on my current picture. The only unknown of course is financial aid packages from the institutions, which is an important factor for me. I wanted to see your thoughts on the following considerations:

1) What is the most logical time for LOI submission: soon after the interview, after being waitlisted (hopefully not!), or some third option?

2) The only case I would not attend School C if accepted would be a substantial merit scholarship from one of the other institutions. For School A, I was interviewed and accepted at the first possible times. I know at School A no scholarships are awarded until early April at second look, but I have no knowledge to the likelihood of such an award. What would be the best way to navigate this chance with regards to an LOI to School C?

Any insight or advice you have would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
With regard to timing, I would wait until after you know you are waitlisted to write a letter. Don't be desperate; if they accept you before you write anything, there's no need to write anything!

If your current intent based on your current aid offers is to attend School C, you can absolutely write a letter to School C indicating your intent to attend. If you receive a merit scholarship, it would be worthwhile, assuming you are accepted, to call School C's admissions department and let them know how the merit scholarship has affected you and that it has changed your matriculation equation significantly.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.