Letter of intent BEFORE the interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

p00psicleSTICK

cat's in the cradle
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would it be OK to send a letter before even receiving an interview stating that if you were granted an interview and somehow miraculously got accepted, you'd go there with no doubt because that school is your #1 choice?

At this one school I just called they seem to want to know how interested I am in their school and I was just wondering if sending them some kind of a letter would be a good idea. There's only a few interview spots left this late in the season and it seems like they're having a tough time picking out applicants to interview...

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think there's anything saying you can't do it. I think it would be unwise to commit to any school's program before you've been to their interview day,however. Be sure you don't seem 1. Desperate 2. Uninformed

Be sure you don't seem 1. Desperate 2. Uninformed

Those are good points. So how can I try to show my interest without doing both that y ou mentioned? Calling everyday obviously wouldn't work and annoy the heck out of the poor admissions office lady. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
shinenjk said:
Those are good points. So how can I try to show my interest without doing both that y ou mentioned? Calling everyday obviously wouldn't work and annoy the heck out of the poor admissions office lady. :p

Well, before the interview, I'd just send a nice, strongly worded letter of interest. Hit the website, their literature, any other info you've got find out everything about the school. Tell them exaxtly why you love their school. Be specific. Tell them how great their school is and why you'd be a good fit. Send no more than one of these a month and make sure that each one is unique. Use this opportunity to update them on what you've done since filing your application as well. Feel free to ask for an interview. Then, after the intervew, if you still love the school, you can send the letter of intent.

Depakote said:
Well, before the interview, I'd just send a nice, strongly worded letter of interest. Hit the website, their literature, any other info you've got find out everything about the school. Tell them exaxtly why you love their school. Be specific. Tell them how great their school is and why you'd be a good fit. Send no more than one of these a month and make sure that each one is unique. Use this opportunity to update them on what you've done since filing your application as well. Feel free to ask for an interview. Then, after the intervew, if you still love the school, you can send the letter of intent.

Agreed. I just wanted to emphasize to do your research and come up with some good points. If you send a boring letter of interest that could apply to any school it might come off as insincere and work against you. But I think if you do your homework it could help.