Letter of Intent - deciding between schools..HELP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

druggist

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
when you get accepted to your second choice of school first and formally accepted the offer of acceptance first, Then get an offer from your first chioce, CAN YOU STILL ACCEPT THE OTHER SCHOOL ONCE YOU HAVE ALREADY FORMALLY ACCEPTED THE FIRST ( 2nd Choice school).??

I dont know what a letter of intent is , I dont know if it is just a way to say the you are interested or if,by signing it, you automatically forfeit all other schools that you may be accepted to?????

Do these schools contact eachother if you accept to 2 programs??

Thanks, this is stressing me out

Members don't see this ad.

Can I accept, and pay the deposit on both schools? then just drop one of them in the last couple weeks before school starts? Isn't that what waitlists aer for?

YES .. u can still accept ur first choice school.. by signing the acceptance letter u r just letting them know that u r interested.. but that does not mean that u r tied to that school and u have to attend there..i am in same boat as u r. i found out before 3 days that i m accepted to UF 1st choice).. and i have already signed n sent $1000 deposit to NOVA (2nd choice):mad:

when you get accepted to your second choice of school first and formally accepted the offer of acceptance first, Then get an offer from your first chioce, CAN YOU STILL ACCEPT THE OTHER SCHOOL ONCE YOU HAVE ALREADY FORMALLY ACCEPTED THE FIRST ( 2nd Choice school).??

I dont know what a letter of intent is , I dont know if it is just a way to say the you are interested or if,by signing it, you automatically forfeit all other schools that you may be accepted to?????

Do these schools contact eachother if you accept to 2 programs??

Thanks, this is stressing me out

Members don't see this ad :)
why would you pay deposit to 2 schools?...:confused: i would just pick the better choice and send my money there..
Can I accept, and pay the deposit on both schools? then just drop one of them in the last couple weeks before school starts? Isn't that what waitlists aer for?

Why would you wait to drop one in the last couple of weeks before school starts? Think of the torture and hardship that will put on the person who is next on the waitlist!

I was beginning to get nervous because I just noticed that one of my prerequisits may not be valid ( aka..count as a cultural diversity class). If this particular class doesn't count, then I fear they will reject me last minute.
Or, perhaps they did count it as the required pre-req. I just don't know.
I don't really want to ask -I would have to call and say --"well, I just wanted to make sure that acceptance wasn't a mistake" -thats doesn't sound smart.
The secnd school is great too, but it would require me to move cross country. I accepted the first school, but if they have any issue with the pre-req, I want another option

Oh, I get it now. And asking if it is valid might hurt you if they check into it and say "never mind! you can't come!" That would suck... If they already accepted you, though, can they take it back? They should have fully evaluated your pre-req's.

I hope they elaluated them. If you think about it. They evaluated the initial crowd, offered interviews, reviewed those aps, sent out acceptances and rejections. So...they should have seen this if they were going to at all. But, I did get a D in O-chem2 the first time around and I know I need a C or better by the end of this semester (which wont be a prob). But, The school never mentioned the O-Chem class. I don't know if they didnt mention it because they saw I was retaking it when I sent in my updated transcripts OR they may not say anything about the pre-reqs at all until who knows when? And if thats the case, then it might be possible that they neglicted to say I was deficient in a pre-req

Hey - You can have deposits down at two schools at the same time. I did that (but just sent a letter today declining my spot at my second choice school). The two schools probably won't know that you are holding a place somewhere else unless you tell them. People do this all the time. I would give up the spot on your second choice as soon as possible, though, to let people on the waitlist have their chance.

I'm going to UIC starting next year so I assume the cultural diversity requirement you're referring to is for UIC. I know they gave us a link to the UIC catalog with examples of classes that would meet that requirement. Have you checked that out? (I assume you have)..... but I agree it's not very clear what they need for that requirement.

What is the class you're not sure about meeting that pre-req?

If I were you I would call them to verify that your class meets the requirement. They should have already checked that (otherwise why would they have accepted you)... but I don't think it's going to look bad to just verify with them. Better to know than to keep worrying about it..... in my opinion.

Hey you've probably already looked at this, but here's UIC's link for classes they offer that would meet the diversity requirement. It seems like it's a pretty wide variety (???).

http://www.uic.edu/ucat/catalog/LA.html#av

good luck.

thanks
I have similar classes to those on the list, but not exactly the same. I'm gunna try not to worry about it. Do you think I should just call tomorrow? to be sure? or just assume that because I was accepted, the class is good? Chances are the class meets the requirements or they would have accepted the next guy
or girl....right?
I dont want to tie up seats in classes either.

I think you should call and ask. This is worrying you, so it's better to set your mind at ease and get an answer from them.

The class I took was South Asian Civilization. From the examples in the link of from their catalog, I'm sure that meets the requirement.

If I wasn't sure - I would call.

Let me know what they say! :)

It may also depend on whether both schools are PharmCAS or not. USC said if you place a deposit with one school then another school can not enter the acceptance into PharmCAS (meaning it's not official) until the other school has put in a release (rescinding your old acceptance when you formally reject the offer from the other school). If you have one PharmCAS school and one non-PharmCAS school, it probably wouldn't be a problem. If neither were PharmCAS schools you also shouldn't have a problem.

thanks all

im gunna take care of this thing

with my luck, both will move me to the wait list --real low on the list:luck:

I'm going to UIC next fall, too, and I actually attended UIUC and so I was familiar with the cultural diversity class. They required it for my Bachelor's degree, too.

As long as the class is non-Western - i.e. asian mythology, asian religions, etc. So anything that has to do with the Eastern hemisphere. I think Anthropology classes count, too. What class did you take that you think may fulfill the requirement?

It may also depend on whether both schools are PharmCAS or not. USC said if you place a deposit with one school then another school can not enter the acceptance into PharmCAS (meaning it's not official) until the other school has put in a release (rescinding your old acceptance when you formally reject the offer from the other school). If you have one PharmCAS school and one non-PharmCAS school, it probably wouldn't be a problem. If neither were PharmCAS schools you also shouldn't have a problem.

Maybe some schools enter their acceptances into PharmCAS and some don't (?), because I had two deposits at two PharmCAS schools at the same time. I paid my deposity at Midwestern early in March and they never entered anything into PharmCAS for my acceptance..... so maybe it depends on the school. Wow. I never even thought about any PharmCAS implications.....!!

For me, having two deposits down at two PharmCAS schools was fine.... I guess that's all I can say. :D

Thanks I feel a lot better
tell you the truth, I'm just glad I got in somewhere, let alone a few schools that I really like:cool:

Maybe some schools enter their acceptances into PharmCAS and some don't (?), because I had two deposits at two PharmCAS schools at the same time. I paid my deposity at Midwestern early in March and they never entered anything into PharmCAS for my acceptance..... so maybe it depends on the school. Wow. I never even thought about any PharmCAS implications.....!!

For me, having two deposits down at two PharmCAS schools was fine.... I guess that's all I can say. :D

Must be similar to updating the Supplemental application status page. The two schools I'm on waitlist for still don't even show they've received it.