letter of intent dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soxman

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got accepted to an out of state DO school and I'm on waitlist for my state's DO school. I'm thinking of writing a letter of intent for my state's school but if I mention that I have an acceptance to another school (which is out of state), would that hurt my chances? Because wont adcoms be like "this guy has an acceptance elsewhere whereas some of the other waitlisted applicants may have this school as their only shot"

Thanks
Sox

Members don't see this ad.

I personally wouldn't think it would hurt. Realize that a letter of intent typically states that you WILL come to the school if accepted. It doesn't matter if you've already paid your deposit to the OOS school. Going back on your promise will make you look bad.

You potentially could even be able to say, "look, I love your school and would definitely come if accepted. However, I have to pay the deposit on another school soon. Would it be possible to get some kind of accelerated decision?" I'd wait for some confirmation from other SDNers before considering this path though.

I got accepted to an out of state DO school and I'm on waitlist for my state's DO school. I'm thinking of writing a letter of intent for my state's school but if I mention that I have an acceptance to another school (which is out of state), would that hurt my chances? Because wont adcoms be like "this guy has an acceptance elsewhere whereas some of the other waitlisted applicants may have this school as their only shot"

Thanks
Sox

Just tell them in the letter that they are your number 1 choice and you will drop all other schools for them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I echo what all of the above posts have said for advice.

It's nice and simple.

Some very basic generic beginning. If accepted, I will definitely attend. Thank you for the great opportunity to interview at your school.

Signed,
Soxman

thanks a lot guys! I just sent the letter in...lets see what happens :xf:

So my first LOI was sent to the school's admissions....will it be overkill if I send another one to the school's dean? I've read somewhere around in sdn where more than one LOI were sent to the same school...