Letter of Intent-First Choice School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
K

kara521

is it advisable to send a letter to your first choice school, just to show how serious you are about attending there? and if so, should that be saved for after the interview/dreaded waitlist? i'm wondering at this point, with my secondary turned in but no word back, if sending something like that would even be worth it.

Members don't see this ad.

kara521 said:
is it advisable to send a letter to your first choice school, just to show how serious you are about attending there? and if so, should that be saved for after the interview/dreaded waitlist? i'm wondering at this point, with my secondary turned in but no word back, if sending something like that would even be worth it.
I would wait until at least post-interview. It's only July.

Depakote said:
I would wait unitl at least post-interview. It's only July.

I agree. It may come off as disingenuous if they have no record of you ever having been to the school to see what it's like in person.

Members don't see this ad :)
How about if you have been to the school? And how about sneaking in a comment about it being your first choice school somewhere in the secondary essay?

as06 said:
How about if you have been to the school? And how about sneaking in a comment about it being your first choice school somewhere in the secondary essay?
secondary is where i would at least allude to it being my first choice, im sure you will be able to express it

as06 said:

that's what i did...but only on the one that asked why i wanted to go there. just keepin my fingers crossed at this point.

I would also wait post-interview just for another reason: what if you change your mind?

You may think you love that school, then another school may surprise you during the interview process.

ND2005 said:
I would also wait post-interview just for another reason: what if you change your mind?

You may think you love that school, then another school may surprise you during the interview process.

Hey, good point. As I was applying this past year, my order of schools changed dramatically. As in, two of the bottom three schools on my pre-interview wish list vaulted to the #2 and #3 positions at the end when I was finally deciding. I'd use update letters to express interest (imo schools definitely like that), and then save the LOI for after interviews.

as06 said:

My undergrad is my first choice and I mentioned it in my "why do you want to come here" essay. There's only one other school that would make me hesitate if it came down to a choice... but the odds of my getting in there are quite slim, and even if I did... I'd most likely still choose my undergrad. If there was any more gray area than this, though, I would probably have waited until after I'd seen a few more schools on the interview loop :luck: