1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Letter of Intent-First Choice School?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by kara521, Jul 27, 2006.

1. kara521

kara521 Guest

Pre-Medical
    is it advisable to send a letter to your first choice school, just to show how serious you are about attending there? and if so, should that be saved for after the interview/dreaded waitlist? i'm wondering at this point, with my secondary turned in but no word back, if sending something like that would even be worth it.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Depakote

Depakote Pediatric Anesthesiologist
    Rocket Scientist Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I would wait until at least post-interview. It's only July.

4. Looque

Looque Bob Loblaw
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I agree. It may come off as disingenuous if they have no record of you ever having been to the school to see what it's like in person.

5. as06

as06 Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    How about if you have been to the school? And how about sneaking in a comment about it being your first choice school somewhere in the secondary essay?

6. braluk

braluk SDN Surgerynator
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    secondary is where i would at least allude to it being my first choice, im sure you will be able to express it

7. kara521

kara521 Guest

Pre-Medical
    that's what i did...but only on the one that asked why i wanted to go there. just keepin my fingers crossed at this point.

8. ND2005

ND2005 1K Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I would also wait post-interview just for another reason: what if you change your mind?

You may think you love that school, then another school may surprise you during the interview process.

9. top

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hey, good point. As I was applying this past year, my order of schools changed dramatically. As in, two of the bottom three schools on my pre-interview wish list vaulted to the #2 and #3 positions at the end when I was finally deciding. I'd use update letters to express interest (imo schools definitely like that), and then save the LOI for after interviews.

10. CavalierMD

CavalierMD Secondary Stalker 4-Lyf!
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    My undergrad is my first choice and I mentioned it in my "why do you want to come here" essay. There's only one other school that would make me hesitate if it came down to a choice... but the odds of my getting in there are quite slim, and even if I did... I'd most likely still choose my undergrad. If there was any more gray area than this, though, I would probably have waited until after I'd seen a few more schools on the interview loop :luck: