letter of intent for scholarship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Gerrard

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
if i have already gotten into a school, would i be able to send a letter of intent saying that if i got a scholarship there, i would drop everything else?

i have a feeling it would look bad, but i didn't think it would hurt to ask you guys :)

i only ask this because the director of the department of neurosciences at one of hte schools i was fortunate enough to get into is a really close family friend. i know the big scholarships for this school have already been given out so i emailed him asking him if he knew any information about it. i was told that it would be good to "be a bit brave and contact the dean directly"

Members don't see this ad.

LOI isn't going to work like that. This is a phone call that needs to be made.

It also depends on the strength of your application and if you were offered other scholarships.

If you can think quickly on your feet, I would try to CALL not write the dean of admissions and explain the situation to them, i.e. you really want to attend their school but finances are getting in the way. This gives you the opportunity to gauge their reaction and respond accordingly in order to make as convincing a case as possible, plus it is more personal than a letter.