Letter of Intent Pre-Decision, but

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stillworking93

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Sorry I know the letter of intent issue has been repeated numerous times, but I was hoping I could get your two cents on a dilemma. I had interviewed at a school in September and sent them a letter of intent perhaps 1 day before I was put on hold-- I'm still on hold. At the time they were my dream school and I genuinely couldn't see myself going anywhere else. My letter was long, stated they were my dream school and the email title was letter of intent but I did not explicitly state that I would withdraw my other applications or that I would surely attend.

It's been three months and a lot of things have changed. A week before that letter was sent, I interviewed at another school and over the past few months I have genuinely fallen in love with that school. In fact, deciding which of those schools was actually my current dream school and top choice was really difficult to admit.

Both of those schools are at a much higher tier than I thought I would interview and much higher than the schools that I currently hold acceptances from. I really want to send my current top choice a letter of intent staying that they are my top choice, dream school and that I'd withdraw all my applications, but I have heard that top schools can communicate.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what I should do? I want to go with the flow, but I'd feel safer if I sent in another letter. I know that I could send in a letter of interest and just not state that this school is also my dream school...but I feel like I'm lying to myself haha.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys,

My letter was long, stated they were my dream school and the email title was letter of intent but I did not explicitly state that I would withdraw my other applications or that I would surely attend.

How do you write a letter of intent without saying that you'll attend the school? That doesn't sound like a LOi to me....

Anyways, this is school dependent. At gyngyn's and goro's schools, they are not taken seriously but there are some schools that take them seriously like Georgetown.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyways, this is school dependent. At gyngyn's and goro's schools, they are not taken seriously but there are some schools that take them seriously like Georgetown.
It's like words of love. We all like to hear them but nobody really believes them in the AM.

Reactions: 3 users