Letter of Intent question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlueScar

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I have 4 schools at the top of my medical school list, out of the 27 I applied to. I want to send some form of letter to the top 4 that I am really interested in their programs. Would a letter of intent be something I should send all four of them? Should I include all 4 medical schools on the letter?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I have 4 schools at the top of my medical school list, out of the 27 I applied to. I want to send some form of letter to the top 4 that I am really interested in their programs. Would a letter of intent be something I should send all four of them? Should I include all 4 medical schools on the letter?
A letter of intent is like a marriage proposal, you only offer it to one. However, it is much too early to do any letters like that.
MAYBE later next spring when you are on some Wait lists you could send a letter of continued interest, to show you still want a school's acceptance.

Read this: HomeSkool's Guide to Letters of Intent

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both. I was wondering since I am a reinvented nontrad with a strong upward trend, however still stuck with a subpar GPA. Is there anything I can do that would prevent me from being lost in the 6k+ applications? Just a bit of background- I graduated with a 3.19, took 54 credits in a DIY postbacc with all A's and boosted it to a 3.44.

took 54 credits in a DIY postbacc with all A's and boosted it to a 3.44.
By this do you mean online prerequisites? If so, would you mind sharing which university you used? I will complete my 4-year degree this coming May, and am still up in the air with how I need to handle my prereqs...

Thank you both. I was wondering since I am a reinvented nontrad with a strong upward trend, however still stuck with a subpar GPA. Is there anything I can do that would prevent me from being lost in the 6k+ applications? Just a bit of background- I graduated with a 3.19, took 54 credits in a DIY postbacc with all A's and boosted it to a 3.44.
Yes, you have a good school list and lots of service to others less fortunate than yourself.

Rising GPA trends are always good. We like come from behind stories...it's in our national DNA.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't waste their time. Admissions deans treat these as lies.
Let's say I have a 523 MCAT and I am applying to a more modestly-ranked MD school that (per MSAR data) appears to yield protect. Is it worth sending a letter of interest early on so I still have a shot at an interview?

**Edit: No secondary essays at this school (ok it's NYMC)

Let's say I have a 523 MCAT and I am applying to a more modestly-ranked MD school that (per MSAR data) appears to yield protect. Is it worth sending a letter of interest early on so I still have a shot at an interview?

What's your special reason for wanting to attend this particular school?

Your application is your LOI.

What's your special reason for wanting to attend this particular school?

I live nearby, work 10 min away from their campus and would love to be in/near NY but the NYC schools may be something of a reach.

I live nearby, work 10 min away from their campus and would love to be in/near NY but the NYC schools may be something of a reach.
So, basically, you want to tell them you'll seriously consider going there if you can't do better in the NY Metro area. They can probably figure that out by where you live and the fact that you applied at all with your stats. You're actually a perfect candidate to get yield protected.

Nothing you can do about it if they don't want to read essays. If you were REALLY serious, you could have applied ED (I assume they accept ED applications?), but that would not have been in your best interest for obvious reasons. On the other hand, it's way too early to be thinking this way with a 523.

Assuming your GPA is commensurate with your MCAT, and the rest of your application is decent, you have an excellent chance of scoring an A at at least one of your preferred schools in the area, which is precisely why you will be yield protected. Right now, you're nervous and would very much like the insurance policy. In a few months, you'll have no interest in NYMC, and they, with all their experience over the years with candidates just like you, know exactly how this ends. You just don't know it yet, but you will soon enough, and you'll see they don't yield protect to screw you. They do it protect themselves from what they know you are ultimately going to end up doing, which is not matriculating! Good luck!! You'll be fine.

Last edited: