Letter of Intent - Snail Mail or Email?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ag4Life

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to send a letter of intent to my top choice. I heard through the grapevine that they are reviewing files tomorrow. Do you think I should send a hard copy and also an email copy to the Dean of Admissions?

If I do send it through email, should I send as attachment or copy and paste onto the message itself? Thanks for any info!! I was pretty set on UCLA, but this other school allows me to move out of CA into a great city!

Members don't see this ad.

Ag4Life said:
I want to send a letter of intent to my top choice. I heard through the grapevine that they are reviewing files tomorrow. Do you think I should send a hard copy and also an email copy to the Dean of Admissions?

If I do send it through email, should I send as attachment or copy and paste onto the message itself? Thanks for any info!! I was pretty set on UCLA, but this other school allows me to move out of CA into a great city!

i would send it via snail mail only and then follow up with a call (to make sure they received it), but... it probably doesn't matter how you do it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the help, I was wondering if I should email it as an attachment or to paste it on to my message. I'm so nervous thinking about it.

BTW, congrats on your Oklahoma acceptance recently!

Is it acceptable to send in a LOI through email?

Ag4Life said:
Thanks for the help, I was wondering if I should email it as an attachment or to paste it on to my message. I'm so nervous thinking about it.

BTW, congrats on your Oklahoma acceptance recently!

Maybe not to the dean (send another email), but the actual loi to the ad office.

Crete said:
Maybe not to the dean (send another email), but the actual loi to the ad office.

Oh, i already sent a hard copy today. But I'm afraid they might not get it when my file is reviewed. So I want to send an email copy to teh dean of admissions also.

My question was whether I should send as an attachment or copy and paste onto my email messaage. Thanks for your insight though!

Ag4Life said:
Oh, i already sent a hard copy today. But I'm afraid they might not get it when my file is reviewed. So I want to send an email copy to teh dean of admissions also.

My question was whether I should send as an attachment or copy and paste onto my email messaage. Thanks for your insight though!
definately as an attachment.. maybe a PDF file would be better. u can sign it in Paint and take it and jpeg the signature over and convert.

I'd send snail only and call to confirm as well. An email may not be placed in your file, but a hard copy surely will.

nockamura said:
I'd send snail only and call to confirm as well. An email may not be placed in your file, but a hard copy surely will.

I have sent a letter of intent/interest via email and it was added to my file by the dean. I guess he printed it out but for some schools the email does get added.

Ag4Life said:

Attachment, then you can talk in the body of the message!

virilep said:
definately as an attachment.. maybe a PDF file would be better. u can sign it in Paint and take it and jpeg the signature over and convert.

Nerd!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh: j/k

I would send it in the actual mail - but priority or express mail it.

A week later I would call and make sure that they got it.