Letter of Intent Timing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cheshyre

Hooray Bikes!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDNers --

I've gotten to a point where I have visited and extensively researched all of my potential schools. The top choice for me is clear. Is it appropriate for a letter of intent to be sent before any sort of post-interview admissions decision (admit, waitlist, or reject) is made? I don't want to come off as being too uppity, but it'd be nice to get an acceptance rather than to go through the whole waitlist ordeal.

Thanks in advance.

Cheshyre --

Members don't see this ad.

Hey SDNers --

I've gotten to a point where I have visited and extensively researched all of my potential schools. The top choice for me is clear. Is it appropriate for a letter of intent to be sent before any sort of post-interview admissions decision (admit, waitlist, or reject) is made? I don't want to come off as being too uppity, but it'd be nice to get an acceptance rather than to go through the whole waitlist ordeal.

Thanks in advance.

Cheshyre --

Anyone can correct me if i'm wrong but I don't think theres a specific time you need to send a letter of intent. And you are also not limited to only sending one letter.

Some schools i've applied to told me to send a letter of intent before I even got an interview (in hopes that I would then be given one)

The point of the letter is to simply let the school know that you are still interested in them and would like to go there. If you just had your interview today, then it may not be a good time to send it, since they know your interested RIGHT NOW. But 2 weeks from now, for example, they may question if you received an acceptance from somewhere else and would like to go there instead. The letter of intent is to basically let the school know that you are still interested in them and would like to go to their school if you are accepted.

Here is a link to a very good thread explaining a lot more about Letters of Intent, when to write them and how you can choose to format them:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=50676

Good luck!

Hey SDNers --

Thanks in advance.

Cheshyre --

I would wait until after a decision has been made. If you get waitlisted, a letter of intent may help get you off of it but if you've already sent one then there isnt really anything left in your corner....but I guess you could send one right after your interview hoping its recieved before the adcom meets...