Letter of Intent to Ad Com.....What to say???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jrazz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all:

I interviewed for my first choice school back in November. I still have not heard. I called the Admissions Office today and they said that I just have to wait. I am thinking of writing the Ad Com a letter stating that I will go there if accepted.

My questions are: Is this a good idea? Does it help? Could it hurt? What should I say in the letter (besides begging!!!!)?

Thanks for the advice.....

Members don't see this ad.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Accepted_me:
•Try just writing a letter saying that you enjoyed your interview, thanks for inviting me, then tell a couple of paragraphs about why you liked the school and why you think you would be a good candidate for admission and what you would add to the class. Maybe add some new stuff about what you've been up to in the interim, and finish up by saying you are trying not to have a top choice but (enter school name here) is making it very difficult.

Maybe add some professional-looking letterhead for emphasis and colorful paper (or something, i dunno) to make it memorable.•••••Accepted_me, why in the world should jrazz not say it's his/her first choice school if it in fact is? :confused:

jrazz, Do not use colored paper, but do make it a very professional looking, well written letter. And state in the letter that it's a letter of intent and that you will immediately withdraw all your other apps and accept their offer of acceptance should they offer you one. Send it express or FedEx, so you can track it, and once you know it's there, call the school to make sure it's been placed in your file. Good luck!! :)

Accepted_me, hmmmm......maybe you're right. Wonder what happens if you write a letter of intent and then are waitlisted? Guess you wouldn't want to say you'd withdraw other apps unless you had an outright acceptance by May 15. Anyone have any experience/insight on this question?

Members don't see this ad :)
i think all bets are off if they waitlist you. so the only reason you might regret saying you'd pull your other applications is if it really isn't your first choice... in which case you should not be writing such a letter!!!! if you are sure some place is your first choice, write them so. be professional and enthusiastic, as above. but by all means, don't send this letter if you aren't sure the school is #1. if it's not, then just say, you really love the school, blah blah blah. and it probably won't help much. just my two cents.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by SMW:
•Accepted_me, hmmmm......maybe you're right. Wonder what happens if you write a letter of intent and then are waitlisted? Guess you wouldn't want to say you'd withdraw other apps unless you had an outright acceptance by May 15. Anyone have any experience/insight on this question?•••••Hey....no fair....that's what happened to me.

I wrote a letter of interest to one school I interviewed with and didn't hear from almost 3 months. I called (in Jan)and was told my file was coming up for review in Feb. I wrote a letter of interest just to refresh my interviewer about me incase she forgot...i don't want to be just "another" applicant. Anyho, I sent the letter on lightly colored resume paper (nothing flashy) because I was sure she had tons of papers on her desk and I didn't want mine to get lost in the shuffle. I also emailed a similar letter to the dean, who wrote me a letter 2-3weeks later. A week after I got the deans letter I received my waitlist letter.
It's better than a rejection letter but not quite as nice as an acceptance letter. :rolleyes:

Mellow, I think a letter of "interest" is quite different from aletter of "intent." You didn't make any promises about withdrawing other apps in your letter, did you? Anyway, sounds like it worked out OK. Maybe their class was already full, and you very well could get in off the waitlist. Good luck!! :D

Accepted_me, check your PM's. :)

•••quote:•••Originally posted by SMW:
•Mellow, I think a letter of "interest" is quite different from aletter of "intent." You didn't make any promises about withdrawing other apps in your letter, did you? Anyway, sounds like it worked out OK. Maybe their class was already full, and you very well could get in off the waitlist. Good luck!! :D

Accepted_me, check your PM's. :) •••••With all the bullsh*ting/@$$-kissing I did in that letter I think it was pretty obvious that I Loved the school and really want to attend.

It all depends on the school.