DblHelix

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 17, 2005
Status (Visible)
Pre-interview, i sent a letter to my top choice school stating all the reasons why I loved them. Now, I am post-interview. I want to send them another letter saying that I'll definitly go if you take me but I worry that that'll be too needy. I don't want this to hurt me. I know this school is sometimes considered a backup to a lot of the best applicants, but I still worry that they'll think, "Boy, this kid is desperate" (eventhough i already have an acceptance). Also, what if they think, "hey we can just waitlist him and if we want him later, we know he'll come."

Any thoughts?

pyrois

10+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2006
Berkeley, CA
Status (Visible)
Pre-interview, i sent a letter to my top choice school stating all the reasons why I loved them. Now, I am post-interview. I want to send them another letter saying that I'll definitly go if you take me but I worry that that'll be too needy. I don't want this to hurt me. I know this school is sometimes considered a backup to a lot of the best applicants, but I still worry that they'll think, "Boy, this kid is desperate" (eventhough i already have an acceptance). Also, what if they think, "hey we can just waitlist him and if we want him later, we know he'll come."

Any thoughts?

I personally would almost never write a letter of intent. I think letter of interests are valuable as a reminder to lower level universities looking to fill spots quickly, but letters of intent? I don't know.

DblHelix

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 17, 2005
Status (Visible)
I personally would almost never write a letter of intent. I think letter of interests are valuable as a reminder to lower level universities looking to fill spots quickly, but letters of intent? I don't know.

Well i know that this school doesn't like accepting people who have no intention of coming, which happens to them a lot apparently...

About the Ads

Stolenspatulas

10+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical

Any thoughts?

dont over-analyze the situation.

letter of intents are used once a school puts you on a waitlist. don't use it post-interview. write a strong letter of interest post-interview, but dont write the letter of intent just yet.

pjl2505

10+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2006
Status (Visible)
hey, if that's where you know you want to be, write it. no reason not to.

stiffany

Hurry up and wait...
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
So I too had this dilemma about writing a letter of interest (not a letter of intent since I still havent decided where I'm going) and I came down to the following: I don't want to look back and wonder if, had I just bothered to write a well thought out letter explaining my interest in a school, would things be different? So I wrote a letter explaining many of the reasons I liked a particular school and my interest in attending. I did NOT say I would drop all acceptances or whatever if they accepted me. Ironically, the letter didn't get to its recipient until after a decision had been made (so it didn't matter), but in the interim it made me feel a lot better since I knew I'd done everything I could reasonably do to insure success at a particular school. It was no longer in my hands once that letter was sent, but instead of being really scared I was okay with that.

With this perhaps ill supported argument, I say go for it. I don't see how writing a letter saying you love X school over all others for x, y, and z reason after you've actually been to X school can be construed as a bad thing. However, I think letters of intent pre-interview are silly since you've (presumably) never seen the school/gotten a feel for what it's like there.

Good luck! :luck:

gary5

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 25, 2003
Status (Visible)
I'm not a fan of Letters of Intent. Schools aren't looking for students who are willing to drop all their options to attend their school. That's not how the process works. Although it is dramatic, I do not think that drama is what they want. If you really liked the school, then maybe write them a letter saying that. There's no need to go overboard.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.