Letter of Intent/Update Letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedGrl@2022

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently working on a Thank you/Letter of Intent/Update Letter for the Dean of Medicine at my #1 medical school. I interviewed there last Friday. I have a question on the update factor though: Could you update a medical school on things that are in the process? For instance, my laboratory is currently preparing a manuscript to submit to a journal for publication but has not done it yet. I am also in the middle of taking a neuroanatomy course (which is not on my transcript as it is a random class that I decided to take, I am not a student otherwise). I am also in the process of developing a new component for a health outreach volunteer program that I am involved with. These were going to be my updates but none of these things are completed yet. For instance, I have not even taken the midterm of my class, the journal article has not been submitted but I expect it to be submitted within the next month (or hopefully sooner) and the change of my volunteer program is still a work in progress. Do I need to wait until these things are completed to talk about them? I really want to go to this school and I was hoping to give them impressive updates but maybe they are not that impressive. However, I also wanted to submit it soon as I interviewed there a couple days ago.

In addition, does anyone know where I could get sample letters of intents? I wanted to make this letter as strong as possible.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
If your interview was last week, it's too soon for an 'update' -- Why wouldn't you have mentioned your news then?

If your article were submitted then and you mentioned that, but the acceptance is news - then sure. But that's not the case. If you're 'in the process' of developing a program and it's only a week old, then write after you launch.

In other words - wait until you have real news or at least long enough that your 'in process news' is stuff you legitimately shouldn't have mentioned last week.

Members don't see this ad :)
If your interview was last week, it's too soon for an 'update' -- Why wouldn't you have mentioned your news then?

If your article were submitted then and you mentioned that, but the acceptance is news - then sure. But that's not the case. If you're 'in the process' of developing a program and it's only a week old, then write after you launch.

In other words - wait until you have real news or at least long enough that your 'in process news' is stuff you legitimately shouldn't have mentioned last week.

Good point. I guess I really do not have much to update. I did mention a couple times during the interview about my research and that we are working to submit it for publication. After speaking with the post-doc that I work with, he does not really know when we would be submitting the manuscript. Perhaps I will talk to my PI and see what I can do to further the project. I did not talk about my volunteering and I only mentioned that I was taking a class though. But maybe that is not good enough.

The dean of the medical school said that he would be making a decision within 2-3 weeks, so I wanted to give them as much information as possible and let them know that they are my top choice. I don't think I mentioned that during the interview.

Additionally, would it be helpful to say that I have been accepted at another medical school but that they are my top choice?

I would hold off on an update letter & use that option if you are waitlisted. I think you can just write an extremely brief thank you letter to the people involved in your interview day--one sentence saying thank you, one saying something positive about your experience there, and one expressing that this is your top choice school.

An update like yours might clarify the decision on your application once waitlisted, but I can't imagine it would salvage you from rejection to get you accepted.

Is it appropriate to include/attach presentations or posters that you presented at scientific meetings to talk more about your most recent research endeavors in your update letters? This is my top choice school and I was super nervous during my interview. I really want to show them what I have done. One of my interviewers was asking me a lot of questions about my research because she was doing similar research as I am. At the same time, I don't want to overwhelm the admissions committee.

Thank you for all your help!

If I may add a Q to your post: Is it better to send an update letter soon after a lukewarm interview to preemptively better my stance or should I wait until I hear back? Thanks.

Oh, tinylilron, here's sample letters: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=14009800#post14009800

+1

It's been about two months since my lukewarm interview, and I've been wondering the same thing. Should I send an update letter now (and hope that it would better my stance; hopefully an acceptance?) or should I wait until I hear back (I'm guessing probably a waitlist...) and then send in the updates? I'm not all that worried about not having things to update about because I don't like sitting still, so I'm always doing one thing or another thing... what do you all think is strategically the best move?

+1

It's been about two months since my lukewarm interview, and I've been wondering the same thing. Should I send an update letter now (and hope that it would better my stance; hopefully an acceptance?) or should I wait until I hear back (I'm guessing probably a waitlist...) and then send in the updates? I'm not all that worried about not having things to update about because I don't like sitting still, so I'm always doing one thing or another thing... what do you all think is strategically the best move?

I think that you should send them an interest/update letter... I am not an expert but when I sent my #1 school a letter of intent/thank you/update got AMAZING results... :)

Good luck! :)

Reactions: 1 user
I think that you should send them an interest/update letter... I am not an expert but when I sent my #1 school a letter of intent/thank you/update got AMAZING results... :)

Good luck! :)

Thanks! I think I will do that. *Fingers crossed* And congrats! That's super amazing! High five! :D

Is it appropriate to include/attach presentations or posters that you presented at scientific meetings to talk more about your most recent research endeavors in your update letters? This is my top choice school and I was super nervous during my interview. I really want to show them what I have done. One of my interviewers was asking me a lot of questions about my research because she was doing similar research as I am. At the same time, I don't want to overwhelm the admissions committee.

Thank you for all your help!

Just write in your letter that you presented a poster at XYZ conference as well as writing about the projects you've been working on in lab.